Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Olympic referee reveals unfair refereeing in the final
French referee Chantal Julien revealed that the winner of the Beijing Olympic Games final was decided before it even started. She said that referees couldn't call USA as other teams. "If you call all Kobe Bryant's travelling you will be booed." Julien was feeling uncomfortable after the final "Spaniards were punished for USA's mistakes. It was really unpleasant to watch the final minutes when Americans were travelling and Spaniards received two technical fouls."

Source: http://www.krepsinis.net/news.php?news_id=92773

Absolutely no surprise to me. Only a blind man couldn't see travelling of USA in every single game. Lot's of it in fact. And the worst thing was that the referees were blind too. FIBA was inspired by somebody to tell their referees that Americans can do whatever they want on the court. It is very disappointing. I was mad during Olympics and my opinion hasn't changed.

I'm just wondering wether it was a businnes plan for NBA China or will we see these kind of things in future Thudown
I'm not surprised.
And the excuse that NBA players would have disadvantage if the travelling was called is ridicilous. So following that logic means that if NBA decide to introduce another stupid rule (they know how to do that) like attacking player can't get an offensive foul, in FIBA competitions the referees should be blind and never call an offensive foul? NBA has its own strategy and they change the rules accordingly. That's not a problem of FIBA.
Yep. I think this will mean that we will see less skilled players that can jump high start to show up in the European teams as well.
I don't think it's only their travelling that doesn't get called!!!
[Image: paok0bw.gif]
(Jul 23, 2010, 1:24 am)ZEUS Wrote: I don't think it's only their travelling that doesn't get called!!!

Actually, it's traveling and palming the ball.
Overzealous fouling, charging, arguing with the refs to the point where technicals should be thrown out? If murder was legal on a basketball court, team USA would be allowed to get away with that too! Mellow Blink Huh
[Image: paok0bw.gif]
I really don't like FIBA refs. I strongly believe they need more accountability. As for the article i may not be understanding the accusations of NBA alleged culpability. In reading the post she said Refs were feeling uncomfortable calling fouls on USA NT due to the crowd booing. If this is the case then the FIBA refs need to be mentally and morally stronger. Refs are human and get caught up in the crowds emotion. It's only human. Home teams that have a passionate crowd will always have this advantage. As much as I don't like Kobe Bryant there are millions around the world that love him more. He is almost the Micheal Jackson of basketball. Hell the Refs are probably his fans. LOL Still I'm not understanding; 1) how this is NBA fault? It's the refs fault. 2) How is the outcome of the game is already decided? Again it's the refs fault they need to make the right calls no matter the player or the environment.

In my humble opinion I believe in European players vs USA players talent debate, that the contest is virtually even. with a slight edge to the USA. I believe the recent success of USA national team has much to do with the volume of talent i.e. USA has a deeper bench. Therefore they can ware down their opponents in a battle of attrition.
I really hope that this stupid rule difference will be changed soon. Why do only NBA have different rules? Always do they have to have something different and then the whole universe should suffer because of that...
(Mar 4, 2012, 7:59 pm)KAPALI Wrote: "...I can show U what I am everytime everywhere your web artist..."
(Oct 2, 2010, 3:12 pm)Led00 Wrote: I really hope that this stupid rule difference will be changed soon. Why do only NBA have different rules? Always do they have to have something different and then the whole universe should suffer because of that...

Well they're changing the rules now, but unfortunately the European leagues are changing to accommodate the NBA rules instead of the other way around...
Yeah, that was my point, exactly. Soon enough, England will change Rugby rules to be closer to NFL...

NBA should work on the rules because of the Olympic and World Championships, not the other way around...
(Mar 4, 2012, 7:59 pm)KAPALI Wrote: "...I can show U what I am everytime everywhere your web artist..."
(Oct 2, 2010, 3:12 pm)Led00 Wrote: I really hope that this stupid rule difference will be changed soon. Why do only NBA have different rules? Always do they have to have something different and then the whole universe should suffer because of that...

@Led00: Everyone agrees that basketball is an international sport that is loved by many. Basketball was born and developed here in the USA. It is still the same basketball but the evolution of the game is slightly different. The NBA and American basketball in general has different rules than FIBA because of this evolution. I think this diversity is good. why should USA not have different rules? As it is now international and American basketball both influence each other and this "can" be a good thing and bad thing. The NBA is experimenting with some FIBA rules even now. For example the NBA is considering adopting FIBA goal-tending rules. Also coach K of USA national team has said he would like all american high schools to adopt FIBA 24 second shot clock. Interestingly enough 24 sec shot clock was first put to use in USA by the NBA in the 1950's. FIBA later adopted this USA rule. I think sharing basketball culture is useful. Thats why we have useful things like the shot clock.

No the NFL will not change England rugby rules. That is absurd. They are very different sports now. The evolution has changed them. You should know England is not the only type of Rugby. There are several types. One of the most popular is Australian rules rugby.

@Kobimel: American basketball has always influenced European basketball. Also European basketball influences the NBA. Both are true. This is the nature of human social interaction. It's the nature of our international basketball culture. If you you research basketball history you will see they share ideas.
I was very, very VERY joking with the Rugby and NFL. Those two sports have almost nothing in common...

As for the rules. U made some pretty good argument, but those r only GOOD arguments. The bad ones r all around us. On every world-wide competition there is... That doesn't have to be like that. Between Irish and Australian rugby, there r few different rules, but once a year, they meet in so called COMPROMISED-RULES-FOOTBALL. But in WC and OG, we don't have anything close to that but very unfair reffering...

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  FIBA World Olympic Qualifying Tournament 2008 Black Urum 35 15,012 Jul 20, 2008, 9:18 pm
Last Post: rikhardur