Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Maccabi Tel Aviv 2009/2010
Quote:guy u are from israel. be honest, ma i the lonlely whio hate arroyo way of play? ma i the lonley in israel and among macca fans ,who think he was the main reason of our disaster? about wsnsk , iw wasnt my opinion, i don't know him

Yes I'm from Israel. Well you are not the only person who balmes Arroyo for Maccabi's season, there are many, I guess, but it doesn't make him a bad player. The team arround him is just bad. Just look at any palyer on the court, no one can do more than one thing. for example Eliyahu can score a alot but for any 2 given points u get 2.5 points cuz he cares not of defence. Maccabi this year is , to be modest, a soft team. No one is agrresive anough, not on offense and especialy not on defence. You can't blame arroyo for Lior not defending, You can't balme him fro Effi signign Rofney white and for not signing some solid post player, you can't blame him that Brown forgot how to score 3 pointers in the top 16, you can't blame him for Tal's poorer season ever, you can't balme him for many many things...
the fact that macca was a soft and a very normal team this year, is sure. but if u have the director of the team, the organizer, who play alone, who just force any action, who just try the impossibile, who search the harlem globe trotters game, well is hard for a shooter as brown to have chances to be free froma the line, and is hard that u can have a team. i mean, this year macca wasn't a team. was one single player (arroyo) who play for personal glory and the others who tried theyr best having a play maker who doesnt play for them. u know, to have good shoot u need a player who give chance to shooters for example and obviously macca is one of the worst team from long distance shoot. somebody says that even some player is hoping arroyo will leave. i even think that pini wasn't enough strong to cut him cause it really seems to me was so clear he was a disaster for us. i respec your opinion guy , and mainly your opinion about a team who was very normal ,but i'll be more tranquil fan without arroyo next year. any news lately about edison and co?
I haven't been impressed with maccabi's ownership at all for the past three years. I assume Lior Eliyahu's struggles of poor defense and bad shot decisions have more to do with maccabi's lack of coaching than Lior Eliyahu's work ethic. Lior Eliayhu hasn't been the only maccabi prospect that didn't learn essentials of the game at maccabi.

I would like to bring up a hypothetical of Maccabi going after a bigger/big nba name instead of signing-and-cutting as many as an entire roster. The nba teams can't pay as they did in the past and maccabi is more than a basketball team it's a conduit for politicians to sell themselves to the public.
Hey Cal, welcome to the forum.

You have an interesting discussiong going here. Moxur, I got no news about Eidson for you but latest reports say that Travis Hansen from Dynamo Moscow is also a target of Maccabi.
Quote:maccabi is more than a basketball team it's a conduit for politicians to sell themselves to the public.

What do you mean?
The halftime show of a maccabi tel aviv game is very political. Some Maccabi Tel Aviv games can have politicians as celebrity appearances rather than entertainers. The only reason to watch channel 10 is if Maccabi Tel Aviv is good.
Hey, a Nahariya fan! Welcome, good to see another fan of Israeli basketball join. Biggrin
Quote:Reports in Serbia today are saying that Partizan Belgrade starlet - Novica Velickovic (205-F-86) is very close to agree terms with European Powerhouse - Maccabi Tel-Aviv.According to the report Maccabi has agreed fee with Partizan for the talnted forward and negotiations with player and Maccabi are on final stages.

Velickovic,a product of Partizan's youth system, made his doubt in the first team in the 04/05 season and made his first Euroleague appearance in the 05/06 season.improving his game in every year he signed a new contract in the summer of 2008 for two more years.

this year Velickovic made his big breakthrough for Partizan as he avreged 12.8ppg ,6.9ppg and 2.1apg in the Adriatic league and 10.7ppg, 5.1rpg 1.7apg in the Euroleague.

Velickovic also voted for the raising star of the Euroleague for the 2008/2009 season.

In Maccabi he will be coached by legendary coach - Pini Gershon who won 3 European cups this decade.Gershon came back to Maccabi in November 2008 after two seasons with Greek club Olympiacos.

SOURCE:

http://www.eurobasket.com/Serbia/basketb...sID=158642
Quote:Reports in Serbia today are saying that Partizan Belgrade starlet - Novica Velickovic (205-F-86) is very close to agree terms with European Powerhouse - Maccabi Tel-Aviv.

I wish... I really don't see this happening, but hopefully I'm wrong. Maccabi will probably try to keep Eliyahu as the main PF. and anyway Maccabi don't pay buyout usually. in addition Maccabi like's her foregin PF to be Defensive-Athletic player's, like Terence Morris, Maceo Baston and D'or Fischer (we can go even further to Marcus Goree and Dallas Comegys day's), Velickovic isn't really that type of player.
gambit ,that's one the main problem of maccabi way of play this season. u are right, maccabi always preferred strong players instead of "hot hands player". and that's a big error. no team in europ play just under the basket. any team has at least 5 players who are able to shoot from everywhere. i love fischer as one of or best players ever because is one of the lonely power players in europe who also have hands like a guard. we need hand like guard!. thats the street we need to follow. our worst problem(after arroyoSmile it was to search the bakset just from close th basket with the power players ,never with the shooter. we need shooter and last names make me finally hope that gershon got it. i have to say that it was even easy to understand .its enough to see our stats this year. we exactly need ex jugoslavia style's player where even the power players have hands like guard.
Maccabi's management doesn't provide the coaching and environment for Lior Eliyahu to improve his defense. So it isn't really fair to blame Lior Eliyahu. Maceo Baston was a poor defensive player and D'or Fischer is a poor defensive player. Terence Morris defense is strong but even he couldn't win a title either. Maccabi would be best to develop Lior Eliyahu and Anton Shoutvin but personal improvement isn't one of Maccabi's strengths. My prediction is since the nba is fiscally struggling and Maccabi is desperate, Maccabi will sign a bigger-name than in the past NBA free agent at power forward.
if maccabi continue signing american power and strong athletic players will nerver change his style, and we play the only style in europe can't win for sure, the nba style. if u play a tournament where everybody build team to playt the balcanian way, if leader teams play like this, u can't be the lonely team who just play under the basket. that's very incredible pini doesn't understand it and that's the main reason i think pini is not a great coach.
[quote name='Cal' post='15702' date='May 4 2009, 03:57 AM']My prediction is since the nba is fiscally struggling and Maccabi is desperate, Maccabi will sign a bigger-name than in the past NBA free agent at power forward.[/quote]

It is still very early to speculate but maybe you have some players on your mind that could join Maccabi from NBA?
Quote:and we play the only style in europe can't win for sure

Maccabi won this way (with Gershon) 2 Euroleague championship's in a row...

Pini Gershon surely will bring a Center/PF that will have under the basket presence, You need to remember that Gershon didn't put up the current roster (he just added 3 player's that were available), I'm sure Maccabi will build the team better this year.
gambit ,we all hope in a better maccabi. about pini, yes he won two el but don't forget the last shot of sharp in the home match ,and consider that to win 2 el he needed a team who was probably the strongest in all moder era of el. last , well, yes he added just three players(that anyway failed) but he also had in rooster players as fischer(best player of el till macca was in), ely(5th players till macca was in), casspi, brown. so , if he added 3 good players , he had a rooster with at least 7-8 very good players.i m not writing we was a great team but not so bad. only things were really bad, arroyo and pini' way of play, in my opinion abolutely the worst way to play todayb in europe. don't know if u use to see other teams matches. well, there's no team who search the basket as macca do, there's no team who don't consider the long shot option. there s no team who hasn t a shooter play maker. every team play a perimetral basket from distance.macca play the under kbasket game and is very easy to understand and defend the way will attack .
[also, we have no money. if u have ely and fischer why to spend again for a pf? we need small players, we need organuzer, we need guards, we need shooters
Quote:It is still very early to speculate but maybe you have some players on your mind that could join Maccabi from NBA?

Maybe Carlos Boozer is just out of reach but some nba starter. If Carlos Boozers is a free agent I do think Maccabi could make a run at him if they wanted. I expect to see some of the big nba names beginning to go over to europe for the money.
Quote:Maybe Carlos Boozer is just out of reach but some nba starter. If Carlos Boozers is a free agent I do think Maccabi could make a run at him if they wanted. I expect to see some of the big nba names beginning to go over to europe for the money.

Boozer is a free agent, but I really don't see how Maccabi could match what Boozer will earn in the NBA... even Josh Childress was only a bench player in Atlanta Hawks before he joined Olympiacos.

I think there are few other good names in the NBA: James Singelton from Dallas for example.
I believe Carlos Boozer would consider an offer of $8-10 million tax free and that's a possibility of Maccabi cut 4-5 players. The economies of some of the nba markets is getting ugly, the franchises don't have the money to pay as they did in the past. Tel Aviv is a larger market and Maccabi can do better than James Singleton.
again , you are talking about nba's . that's the probloem, that's not the way to be a great team again

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  OFFICIAL Maccabi Tel-Aviv Thread TalkBasket 0 2,089 Sep 8, 2018, 8:31 am
Last Post: TalkBasket
  Maccabi Tel Aviv 2014/2015 TalkBasket 3 7,354 Feb 28, 2015, 2:08 pm
Last Post: TalkBasket
  Maccabi Tel Aviv 2012/2013 alen 14 15,549 Oct 25, 2012, 5:52 pm
Last Post: israelsportsradio
  Maccabi Tel Aviv 2011/2012 MaccabiTA 92 59,658 Mar 17, 2012, 3:06 pm
Last Post: Roy M
  Maccabi Tel Aviv 2010/2011 yking 84 52,248 May 26, 2011, 3:41 pm
Last Post: Kenneth23