Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is Zalgiris A-License justfied?
I noticed that Zalgiris has A-License to the Euroleague for the next 3 season's, while Rytas need to win the LKL or the Eurocup to qualify to the Euroleague. most of the A-License's are reasnoable (even tough they are not sportive) - most of the A-License teams are more established, strong and has more sportive sucsses than other teams in their country. but in Lithuania it isn't so, both Zalgiris and Rytas financial situation is "shaky", both have based attendence, both teams have equal sucsses in the Euroleague in the last years (top16 level most of the season's), and most importantly there is no big diffrence between Rytas and Zalgiris sucsses in the LKL and Baltic league (Zalgiris is little bit more sucssesfull).

Even if there is a diffrence between Zalgiris and Rytas, the diffrence isn't so big that Zalgiris has to get the automatic qualification to the Euroleague over Rytas. I think that ULEB should cancel Zalgiris A-License and put the LKL champion and finalist high in the B-License ranking, alternatively ULEB can give both Rytas and Zalgiris A-License.

BTW, a nice overview over Euroleague new qualification system.
If we look for an explanation why A license was given to Zalgiris we should remember few things. First of all Zalgiris is the most famous Lithuanian basketball team. They won Euroleague in 1999. When ULEB was founded and there was a conflict in European basketball they supported ULEB while Rytas played in FIBA's Suproleague. Zalgiris attracts more TV viewers. And I guess they attract more people in other countries. I think that Euroleague has in mind all those things.

Finances of Rytas were more secure this season. They lost only two players and there were no problems of paying wages to players. The fact is that their management is more modern than Zalgiris.

Rytas did a massive job in such short history and they are proving they deserve to be in Euroleague every year. I totally agree with that and I've been saying that for a few years. However, Rytas didn't manage to win enough LKL titles to qualify for Euroleague and Zalgiris remains more successful here.

Zalgiris had good relationships with Euroleague. So I wouldn't rule out that it had some influence when making a decision. Though the club's management did a poor job and deserve some kind of "punishment".

Lithuania should have 2 guaranteed EL places and that's all.
Zalgiris isn't established in Lithuania? Zalgiris is establishment itself in Lithuania.

Besides, this license is based on the teams' sportive results, and so far Zalgiris is doing a much better job.
Respect and thanks for everything:

Alvertis, Bodiroga, Jasikevicius, Radja, Wilkins, Vrankovic, Fotsis, Rebraca, Kattash, Gentile, Koch, Middleton, Kutluay, Rogers, Papadopoulos, Becirovic, Tomasevic, Siskauskas, Pekovic, Lakovic, Vujanic, Chatzivrettas, Maljkovic, Spanoulis and many more to follow in the near future.
[Image: vspa.jpg]

gambit Zalgiris 84-76 Rytas tonight Tongue You were saying? Biggrin
Respect and thanks for everything:

Alvertis, Bodiroga, Jasikevicius, Radja, Wilkins, Vrankovic, Fotsis, Rebraca, Kattash, Gentile, Koch, Middleton, Kutluay, Rogers, Papadopoulos, Becirovic, Tomasevic, Siskauskas, Pekovic, Lakovic, Vujanic, Chatzivrettas, Maljkovic, Spanoulis and many more to follow in the near future.
[Image: vspa.jpg]

Biggrin let's wait until the end of the playoff's Wink

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Zalgiris Kaunas 2011/12 Black Urum 47 29,955 Feb 11, 2012, 1:52 pm
Last Post: stefans
  Zalgiris Kaunas 2010/2011 straight forward 108 63,682 Mar 9, 2011, 9:18 pm
Last Post: straight forward
  Zalgiris 2009/10 Black Urum 28 15,212 May 29, 2010, 10:20 pm
Last Post: straight forward
  Zalgiris 2008/2009 TalkBasket 24 13,000 May 7, 2009, 12:53 pm
Last Post: Black Urum