Poll: Which group is stronger A or B?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
A
100.00%
9 100.00%
B
0%
0 0%
Total 9 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
PREDICTIONS! Which Group is stronger, group A or B?
WHAT ARE YOUR PREDICTIONS?? WHICH GROUP IS STRONGER? Fiba's made the schedule public so apparently the draw is done. Group's after the OQT are

Group A

USA
Argentina
France
Tunisia
Nigeria
Lithuania

Group B

Spain
Australia
China
Great Britain
Brazil
Russia

http://london2012.fiba.com/pages/eng.../schedule.html

Board's been a little quiet so lets play a game!

The rules are simple, guess the winners of every match up and the point differential, 3 points for every right answer, -1 for every wrong answer, 2 bonus points if you are within 3 of the point differential.

Day 1

Nigeria vs. Tunisia
Brazil vs. Australia
United States vs. France
Spain vs. China
Russia vs. Great Britain
Argentina vs. Lithuania

And my picks

Tunisia +5
Brazil +8
USA +15
Spain +20
Russia +15
Argentina +8
group A is stronger, My predictions are:

Group A

USA
Argentina
Lietuva
France

Group B

Brazil
Spain
Russia
Austrailia
Quote:group A is stronger, My predictions are:

Group A

USA
Argentina
Lietuva
France

Group B

Brazil
Spain
Russia
Austrailia

Same predictions from me except substitute Nigeria for France. The odds have France as the third best team in the tournament, I think that the loss of Noah really sets them back more than most people think.

The shock effect of Nigeria should have worn off after the Lithuania game, instead they beat Greece, had a major comeback against Russia and took care of the Dominicans in what was arguably the best performance out of the DR. On paper they shouldn't make it to the quarterfinals but they've proven in Caracas that papers are useless.
Group A

USA
Argentina
France
Lithuania

Spain
Russia
Brazil
Great Britain

I can see Nigeria causing another upset but I don't think that the odds are in their favour.
[Image: panathinaikos-basket-opadoi.jpg]
A group

USA
Lithuania
Argentina
France

Spain
Russia
No idea
No idea

Pfff, I disagree to rank France and Brazil in front of Lithuania. What is happening with basketball? Few athletic and fast dudes and everybody ready to stake their house for them? Smile

Out of USA and Spain (let's face it, none of other teams belong to their category at the moment) there are two teams with balls, culture and history - Argentina and Lithuania. All others as I said before didn't prove anything at Olympic level.
I agree with you on France. I haven't heard the same hype about Brazil but if I did, I would agree with your comment about them as well. I think that you are putting too much weight on previous Olympic results. Unless you're talking about Argentina who is ancient going back before 2008 isn't relevant for the players who will be on the court in London.

Sure Lithuania has a rich Olympic tradition but right now Russia is playing better basketball and I'm quite happy that Russia is not in Lithuania's group. They look like they'll be medal contenders at the moment. I hope that I'm wrong.
Quote:I agree with you on France. I haven't heard the same hype about Brazil but if I did, I would agree with your comment about them as well. I think that you are putting too much weight on previous Olympic results. Unless you're talking about Argentina who is ancient going back before 2008 isn't relevant for the players who will be on the court in London.

Sure Lithuania has a rich Olympic tradition but right now Russia is playing better basketball and I'm quite happy that Russia is not in Lithuania's group. They look like they'll be medal contenders at the moment. I hope that I'm wrong.

Russia looks good and they had good qualification tournament. But Russia looked the same way last year in preparation and we know what happened in Eurobasket. They looked good before 2008 Olympics as well (coming in as European champs), but failed in Olympics. I don't disagree Russia is a contender, but I don't see Russia (differently than most people) as a favourite in the game against Lithuania.

I can be miserably wrong, but I have a feeling Lithuania will be among top 4 teams for another time.
Quote:Pfff, I disagree to rank France and Brazil in front of Lithuania. What is happening with basketball? Few athletic and fast dudes and everybody ready to stake their house for them? Smile

I am now 100% in support of your quote Straight Forward. Brazil has had a good team for years and hasn't done anything with it. They are certainly talented enough to make a huge run in London but the onus is on them to prove that they are worthy of the attention that they have been getting.

The US media is full of morons like Fran Fraschilla. Throughout the US vs. Argentina game he kept talking about the only teams that can contend are US, Spain, Argentina, Brazil and France. Then when pressed for a dark horse he finally mentioned Russia. He also said on at least three occasions that the US will play Argentina and then they wouldn't meet again until the final because they will clearly finish first and second in Group A. What an idiot. His only mention of Lithuania was that they should be the fourth team to make it out of Group A.

Lithuania just got torn apart by Russia in Moscow and I don't think that they should really be atop anybody's list of medal contenders but not even considering them in the conversation means these media gurus like Fraschilla are not doing their jobs.

Fraschilla only follows the NBA so of course he is going to like a team like Argentina that is full of NBA players. Conversely Lithuania only has Kleiza and some unknown young player named Valanciunas so I guess it makes sense that he is writing them off. However, completely discounting Russia as anything more than a dark horse yet calling Brazil the third best team in the Olympics is mind blowing. With so many avenues for watching international basketball in 2012 it is shocking that ESPN continues to employ such washed up ignorant turds.
Quote:I am now 100% in support of your quote Straight Forward. Brazil has had a good team for years and hasn't done anything with it. They are certainly talented enough to make a huge run in London but the onus is on them to prove that they are worthy of the attention that they have been getting.

The US media is full of morons like Fran Fraschilla. Throughout the US vs. Argentina game he kept talking about the only teams that can contend are US, Spain, Argentina, Brazil and France. Then when pressed for a dark horse he finally mentioned Russia. He also said on at least three occasions that the US will play Argentina and then they wouldn't meet again until the final because they will clearly finish first and second in Group A. What an idiot. His only mention of Lithuania was that they should be the fourth team to make it out of Group A.

Lithuania just got torn apart by Russia in Moscow and I don't think that they should really be atop anybody's list of medal contenders but not even considering them in the conversation means these media gurus like Fraschilla are not doing their jobs.

Fraschilla only follows the NBA so of course he is going to like a team like Argentina that is full of NBA players. Conversely Lithuania only has Kleiza and some unknown young player named Valanciunas so I guess it makes sense that he is writing them off. However, completely discounting Russia as anything more than a dark horse yet calling Brazil the third best team in the Olympics is mind blowing. With so many avenues for watching international basketball in 2012 it is shocking that ESPN continues to employ such washed up ignorant turds.

Us media are underestimate European teams except Spain and maybe France.But we will see how will go on Olympics.I'm only sorry for my NT Serbia who know how to play with Dream Team.Like this.... Biggrin

[Image: 26637_navijanjeee409_blic_markodjurica_f.jpg]
I hope we see a lot of exciting games.

In my opinion the main contenders for the gold are Spain, USA, Argentina and maybe Lithuania.

I hope Brazil, Great Britain will play good and show that they really can play. I'm curious to see Nigeria play, I think Al-Farouq Aminu will be their starplayer and also a young star to watch.
Fran Fraschilla just said that Lithuania is in rebuilding mode. Seriously what the heck is this guy watching? Valanciunas and Kalnietis are the only two players on Lithuania under 26 and Kalnietis in particular has been a national team regular since 2006. Nice, Fran, nice.
Quote:Fran Fraschilla just said that Lithuania is in rebuilding mode. Seriously what the heck is this guy watching? Valanciunas and Kalnietis are the only two players on Lithuania under 26 and Kalnietis in particular has been a national team regular since 2006. Nice, Fran, nice.

Fran is a typical ignorant announcer BUT the Liths national team program are in a transition period. There are younger Lith players that some believe should be on the senior team. Donatas should be playing. I think the Liths could use him. Someone need to take the drivers wheel from Saras. I believe Klieza, Martynas Poicus have leadership ability. I wouldn't consider Poicus a brain like Saras. Maybe a couple young guys on this squad could have got the liths ready for world cup. Although the Euro cup is next year so maybe there is no need.
Quote:Fran is a typical ignorant announcer BUT the Liths national team program are in a transition period. There are younger Lith players that some believe should be on the senior team. Donatas should be playing. I think the Liths could use him. Someone need to take the drivers wheel from Saras. I believe Klieza, Martynas Poicus have leadership ability. I wouldn't consider Poicus a brain like Saras. Maybe a couple young guys on this squad could have got the liths ready for world cup. Although the Euro cup is next year so maybe there is no need.

I agree with you that the Lithuanian NT is in a transition period. It's a shame that Donatas won't play at the Olympics but I think that it has to do with his contract with Houston. I expect a lot from Valanciunas. I think he will be the revelation of the tournament
Quote:

I can see Nigeria causing another upset but I don't think that the odds are in their favour.

Quote:history - Argentina and Lithuania. All others as I said before didn't prove anything at Olympic level.

Quote:Us media are underestimate European teams except

Quote:I hope we see a lot of exciting games.

In my opinion the main contenders for the gold are Spain, USA, Argentina and maybe Lithuania.

Quote:Fran Fraschilla just said that Lithuania is in rebuilding mode.

EVERYONE CAN PLAY! Board's been a little quiet so lets play a game! The rules are simple, guess the winners of every match up and the point differential, 3 points for every right answer, -1 for every wrong answer, 2 bonus points if you are within 3 of the point differential.

Day 1

Nigeria vs. Tunisia
Brazil vs. Australia
United States vs. France
Spain vs. China
Russia vs. Great Britain
Argentina vs. Lithuania

And my picks

Tunisia +5
Brazil +8
USA +15
Spain +20
Russia +15
Argentina +8
My picks:

Nigeria: +5
Brazil: +10
USA: +15
Spain: +20
Russia: +10
Argentina: +8
Nigeria: +8
Brazil: +5
United States: +18
Spain: +21
Russia: +11
Argentina: +9

Good stuff Raze! Thup Cool
[Image: panathinaikos-basket-opadoi.jpg]
Quote:Fran is a typical ignorant announcer BUT the Liths national team program are in a transition period.

I disagree with this (except for the part about Fran being an ignorant announcer, that is obviously true). Lithuania has started to transition slightly with the departure of the Lavrinovic brothers from this year's rosters and Siskauskas and the arrival of Valanciunas last year but for the most part Lithuania is very much in the state of "last hurrah" in this Olympics

Between the end of the Olympics and Spain 2014 Lithuania we will see the true transition with departure of the following veterans:

Saras
Javtokas
Kaukenas
Songaila
Lavrinovic Brothers

That leaves Lithuania with a core of experienced players for the cycle between London and Rio. While it is definitely a major transition and a turning of the tides it is hardly the rebuild that Fran Fraschilla was trying portray it as since most of these players have been regulars with the national team for many years.

Kleiza - 27
Jankunas - 28
Maciulis - 27
Kalnietis - 25
Pocius - 26
Seibutis - 26
Valanciunas - 20

Plus newbies like:

Motiejunas - 21
Dulkys -24

Whoever else breaks out in the next four years

We can also assume that Jasaitis - 30 will be around for the next few years but with Maciulis and Pocius coming into their own you have to wonder for how much longer Jasaitis will make the rotation. His best attribute is that he may be Lithuania's most skilled outside shooter but Dulkys may overtake him.

Motiejunas shot himself in the foot with his stupid demands and Kemzura wouldn't swallow his pride and cave into Motiejunas' demands. I would like to see him on this team and I think that he could help a lot more than Kavaliauskas with that said Kavaliauskas is an unskilled player who is a proper Center. Motiejunas is a skilled player who is anything but a Center. Motiejunas wouldn't do anything to fill the role left by Javtokas but unfortunately I don't see Kavaliauskas being able to keep up with the pace of the international game.
Oh and for the game:

Nigeria +12
Australia +6
United States +16
Spain +35
Russia +18
Lithuania +4
Day 1 Brazil +4 over Austalia! Great game!
I saw too late this,but i will predict games that was left for today.Nice game Raze Cool

Day 1

United States +20
Spain +25
Russia +10
Argentina +5
[Image: 26637_navijanjeee409_blic_markodjurica_f.jpg]