Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
EL openner Maccabi - Olimpija
well maccabi won easily by 20 (85-65).

I will be very excited to follow maccabi this season. I wonder how gershon will handle so many excellent players like, anderson, eidson, wisniewski, lasme, lampe, fischer.

Imo if wisniewski lives up to the task, maccabi is f4 material right behind pao, oly, barca and real.
Schwach wie flasche leer
Maccabi with a predictably easy win over a weak team. However, they have a lot of holes to fix:

Lampe played a lot of minutes without a lot of justification. He's been extremely (!!!) soft, hasn't shown good rebounding abilities or any sign of defense. And he doesn't do nearly enough offensively to make up for his faults.

Lasme hasn't found his place on the team yet. Offensively he's a black hole. I'm still waiting for him to prove his defensive capabilities (which I know he has) against some good big men.

Eidson has been way too passive and seemingly refuses to take over the offense when he needs to. He's a good player, but his mentality at this point is way off.

Wisniewski gave an excellent game, his first after several disappointing preseason games. His backup Perkins played well as well. The PG position looks good for Maccabi. They have Israeli youngster Gal Mekel as a 3rd stringer.

Fischer does the little things and does them well. He protected the basket extremely well and had something around 6 blocks. Maccabi seem to depend on him too much, though. They need to hope that they don't start leaning on his production too heavily as they did last season.

Anderson has been incredible all-around, on both ends, since Maccabi started the preseason. An amazing talent who seems unstoppable at this point. However, Maccabi have yet to face any teams who can compete with them athletically. I'm interested to see what Anderson will do against a team around as good as Maccabi, where he'll have to guard a good player on one end and face a tough defense on the other. He has yet to encounter any situation like that.

The Israelis (Pnini, Green, Limonad, Mekel) barely played (Mekel didn't play at all, Green/Pnini/Limonad combined for just 14 minutes and scored 6 points) and weren't a factor at all. Maccabi are still waiting on Bluthental's return. Very disappointing.

Maccabi seem very weak in the paint and on the boards when Fischer is out of the game. That's a problem they must fix if they want to seriously compete this season in the Euroleague. They can't depend on Anderson as much as they are now; he's not going to score 25 points every game. Eidson has to step up. Lasme has to prove his abilities. Wisniewski has to be consistent.

And a word about Olimpija: they played decent basketball, they're a weak team ability wise and did their best. Matt Walsh showed good range and hit some threes which kept them somewhat in the game. Becirovic has some good minutes and some bad mistakes but overall had a solid game (13 points). Olimpija are going to need him at his best this season.
Mostely, I agree with Kobi.

It was bad game, beside the 4th quarter and Wiz+Anderson.

Ljublijana are very weak team. Sani is far from his days, Ozbolt made nothing and only Welch made some nice moves.
Well, gershon is not famous for working a big rotation, even back in the EL title years, so i don't expect the israelis to play more. He will depend a lot on 6-7 players as usual. It is only the beginning of the season, both olimpija and maccabi need to roll and i believe they will. I expect maccabi to win their group and olimpija to fight for 4th place. It was a nice season opener.
Schwach wie flasche leer

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Nunnally stepping up into leadership role for Maccabi EuroLeague News 0 300 Oct 21, 2021, 9:32 am
Last Post: EuroLeague News
  Round 1 MVP: Scottie Wilbekin, Maccabi Playtika Tel Aviv EuroLeague News 0 297 Oct 8, 2021, 8:31 am
  Wilbekin, Maccabi feed off sold-out crowd for thrilling win EuroLeague News 0 306 Oct 6, 2021, 10:44 am
  Maccabi, last team on Tuesday Media Day EuroLeague News 0 309 Sep 17, 2021, 1:43 pm
  2021-22 Games to Watch: Maccabi EuroLeague News 0 318 Aug 10, 2021, 8:27 pm