Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Italy NT
Quote:Planning For Italy But No Commitments From NBA Trio

Italy are making sure they give themselves every chance of qualifying for next year's EuroBasket in Lithuania with solid organization, according to new coach Simone Pianigiani.

But the Azzurri have yet to announce with 100% certainty that Danilo Gallinari, Andrea Bargnani and Marco Belinelli will represent the country in the qualifying games.

"Since my unveiling in December," Pianigiani said, "we have created a high level team staff in order to optimize each detail and to especially be able to be immediately effective when the important weeks come along.

"With regards to the three players in the NBA, we have two certainties: The first is that the FIP (Italian Basketball Federation) is doing all it can to have them available, considering their duties and responsibilities in their respective clubs.

"The second is that all of them have always shown from a young age their commitment to the Azzurri colors. This is a good starting point. "

Bargnani and Belinelli play for the Toronto Raptors while Gallinari is on the books of the New York Knicks.

Italy will compete in Division A, Group A against Finland, Israel, Latvia and Montenegro.

Pianigiani, the coach of Italian league leaders Montepaschi Siena, replaced Carlo Recalcati as national team boss at the end of 2009.

He will be with Italy when they begin training in Bormio on June 29.

Failure to reach last year's EuroBasket in Poland was a huge disappointment for a country that is accustomed to challenging for medals.

The Italians won the European title in 1999, snatched bronze four years later and captured Olympic silver in 2004.

Italy Basketball Federation president Dino Meneghin: "It's going to be a dense and intense season. We are in need of results."

http://www.fibaeurope.com/coid_xl0Lwz9wJ...de_on.html
After the big failure to qualify EB 09 i'm quite sure they'll take it alot more seriously this time.. to bad they're in the same group as Israel Sad
Quote:Belinelli Onboard With Italy

Marco Belinelli firmly declared on Wednesday that he'll go into battle for Italy this summer in their tough EuroBasket 2011 qualifying campaign.

The shooting guard made his announcement at Italy's Olympic headquarters in Rome.

"There's little to say," Belinelli said.

"I was the first to say yes to the national team and I will do everything possible to help Italy get back to high levels."

Belinelli joins his Toronto Raptors teammate Andrea Bargnani in Italy's set-up this summer.

Under new coach Simone Pianigiani, who is currently coaching Montepaschi Siena in Italy's top flight, Belinelli and Bargnani will try to help fire the Azzurri to a high enough finish that qualifies the country for next year's EuroBasket in Lithuania.

The Italians will take on Latvia, Israel, Finland and Montenegro in Group A.

Italy won the silver medal at the 2004 Olympics and competed at the 2006 FIBA World Championship and EuroBasket 2007 in Spain.

They missed out, however, on the 2008 Beijing Games and last year's EuroBasket in Poland.

Italy Basketball Federation president Dino Meneghin and Giovanni Petrucci, the president of CONI (Italian Olympic Committee), sat alongside Belinelli as he spoke at a news conference.

"I am happy to present Marco Belinelli in the Azzurri," Meneghin said.

"When we spoke during the year, I never had any doubts and once his season in the NBA was over, he immediately responded positively.

"A thank you to Marco, who gives up his holidays because he knows that the most important team is the national team.

"He is not here to be the top star but to give his precious contribution to the team."

Belinelli, 24, averaged 7.1 points in 17 minutes per game for Toronto this season - his first with the Canadian team after spending his first two years in the NBA with Golden State.

Italian basketball fans will also be hoping that Danilo Gallinari of the New York Knicks is able to play this summer.

Injuries have prevented Gallinari from wearing the Italian shirt the past three years.

http://www.fibaeurope.com/coid_zHusOjA6I...de_on.html
The thing is, three players aren't enough to bring spring to the Azzurri. We have a saying: "one cuckoo bird doesn't bring Spring". Italy is going to have to go digging around a lot more to find Italian talent that will support the NT for the years to come. Let's see what they can pull off.
[Image: paok0bw.gif]
Charlie Chen said: "one cloud does not make storm" Biggrin I prefer that Biggrin
(Mar 4, 2012, 7:59 pm)KAPALI Wrote: "...I can show U what I am everytime everywhere your web artist..."
No excuse whatsoever for Italy to not have one of the best national teams in Europe.

PG Marco Bellineli/Daniel Hackett/Luca Vitali
SG Pietro Aradori/Roberto Rollo
SF Stefano Mancinelli/Luigi Datome
PF Danilo Gallinari/Nicolo Melli
C Andrea Bargnani/Andrea Renzi/Angelo Gigli

Coach: Simone Pianigiani

It's ridiculous that with that kind of team available that Italy is so pathetic in their recent performances.
Quote:No excuse whatsoever for Italy to not have one of the best national teams in Europe.

PG Marco Bellineli/Daniel Hackett/Luca Vitali
SG Pietro Aradori/Roberto Rollo
SF Stefano Mancinelli/Luigi Datome
PF Danilo Gallinari/Nicolo Melli
C Andrea Bargnani/Andrea Renzi/Angelo Gigli

Coach: Simone Pianigiani

It's ridiculous that with that kind of team available that Italy is so pathetic in their recent performances.

He seems to get lost somewhere any time it's important game and he's inconsistent as well. Gallinari PF? You got to be joking! He couldn't stop a single power forward at the defensive end. Bargnani center? No way Smile Yeah, Italy has talented players, but they are lacking chemistry and as I see their frontline (the one you put it) would be demolished by any solid international team. They need a tough inside players.

Anyway, they might come up with a great perdomance this summer and giving a chance for their young players to get experience, and if they will qualify for Eurobasket 2011, they might be really be dangerous.

BTW, Pianigiani is maybe my favorite coach in Europe.
Quote:He seems to get lost somewhere any time it's important game and he's inconsistent as well. Gallinari PF? You got to be joking! He couldn't stop a single power forward at the defensive end. Bargnani center? No way Smile Yeah, Italy has talented players, but they are lacking chemistry and as I see their frontline (the one you put it) would be demolished by any solid international team. They need a tough inside players.

Anyway, they might come up with a great perdomance this summer and giving a chance for their young players to get experience, and if they will qualify for Eurobasket 2011, they might be really be dangerous.

BTW, Pianigiani is maybe my favorite coach in Europe.

Galinari plays PF in the NBA. Bargnani plays C in the NBA. Those are the positions they play. I listed them at the positions they actually play at.
Quote:Galinari plays PF in the NBA. Bargnani plays C in the NBA. Those are the positions they play. I listed them at the positions they actually play at.

I saw at least 5 live games of NY this season, and Galinari was playing SF at best, while he tends to play in perimeter mostly (as SG). I don't know, I just see him as normal SF, not a PF surely.
Quote:I saw at least 5 live games of NY this season, and Galinari was playing SF at best, while he tends to play in perimeter mostly (as SG). I don't know, I just see him as normal SF, not a PF surely.

He was moved to PF position for most the second half of the year and the coach said that was where they wanted him to play. Keep in mind the Knicks say they measured him at 2.09m
Via TalkBasket

Quote:Italy preparation squad announced

18 players were called up by Italy NT Head Coach, Simone Pianigiani with the most notable absence being that of New York Knicks forward Danilo Gallinari.

Here is the list of the players:

1. Pietro Aradori
2. Andrea Bargnani
3. Marco Belinelli
4. Marco Carraretto
5. Daniele Cavaliero
6. Andrea Crosariol
7. Marco Cusin
8. Luigi Datome
9. Jacopo Giachetti
10. Luca Lechtaler
11. Angelo Gigli
12. Antonio Maestranzi
13. Stefano Mancinelli
14. Marco Mordente
15. Giuseppe Poeta
16. Luca Vitali
17. Andrea Cinciarini
18. Andrea Renzi
Respect and thanks for everything:

Alvertis, Bodiroga, Jasikevicius, Radja, Wilkins, Vrankovic, Fotsis, Rebraca, Kattash, Gentile, Koch, Middleton, Kutluay, Rogers, Papadopoulos, Becirovic, Tomasevic, Siskauskas, Pekovic, Lakovic, Vujanic, Chatzivrettas, Maljkovic, Spanoulis and many more to follow in the near future.
[Image: vspa.jpg]

Quote:Via TalkBasket

I remember in the 2006 World Championship when Italy gave the US a run for their money without Bargnani on the roster. That was the game when Carmelo had 35 points and helped the US pull away late, but Italy seemed like they were on the verge of being a team that could make some serious noise. They've been a disappointment ever since.
I think for the current state of tatters that Italy's NT is in, just being an opponent that others have respect for should be enough for Italy. Rebuilding is going to take maaaaaany years.
[Image: paok0bw.gif]
Messina stays in charge despite failure to qualify to Rio Olympics.

Quote:Ettore Messina to coach Italy at EuroBasket 2017

San Antonio Spurs assistant Ettore Messina will remain as the national team coach for Italy at next summer’s Eurobasket, as confirmed by the Italian Basketball Federation.

Messina, who took over the national team post in November from Simone Pianigiani, failed to lead Italy to the Rio 2016 Olympics by losing out to Croatia at one of the three Olympic Qualifying Tournaments.

The 57-year-old’s tenure as Italy coach looked to be over following the Olympic Qualifiers as Messina wasn’t sure if San Antonio Spurs coach Gregg Popovich and general manager RC Buford would allow him to continue due to his NBA commitments but the four-time EuroLeague winner will remain at the helm.

“It’s a logical continuation,” Messina said in a statement. “I want to thank president Petrucci and the federation for their trust and also coach Popovich and general manager RC Buford of the Spurs for my availability. We will do the best job possible for the upcoming European Championship.”

Indeed having Messina on board is great news for the national team of Italy, who have been uncertain about their future leading up to Eurobasket next year. He is considered one of the best European coaches of all time, a two-time EuroLeague Coach of the Year, he has an overall record of 279–98 (.740) in the competition.

He also led Italy to a Eurobasket silver medal back in 1997 during his first stint in charge.

http://www.talkbasket.net/23063-ettore-m...-2017.html
To increase toughness they need to add Cecilia Zandalasini to the roster...
Quote:Marco Belinelli: “What Sacchetti said really bothered me”

Marco Belinelli spoke with Gazzetta Dello Sport and referred to his decision to not play for Italy in the upcoming WC Qualifiers (against Poland and Hungary) as well as the comments the national team’s head coach, Romeo Sacchetti, made about him.

Here is what the San Antonio Spurs’ guard said:

On Sacchetti’s comments: “Some things, Sacchetti said, really bothered me. There are controversial issues after my decision to not participate in the WC qualifiers that annoyed me. I was honest from the first day I met Sacchetti, Brunamonti and President Petrucci.

To make everything clear, some people do not care about the national team or the team does not care about the players. If there were issues with my decision, I would prefer that Romeo came to talk to me personally, rather than criticising and speaking in general.”

On September’s WC Qualifiers: “This window is close to the beginning of the NBA season and makes things difficult or almost impossible for many players.

Besides, it is proven by the fact that 80% of NBA players do not participate. Italy’s games are too close to the start of the Spurs‘ training camp, and I have to be there in excellent condition.”

https://www.talkbasket.net/29978-marco-b...othered-me

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  scorekeeper in italy promptscore 0 1,613 Jan 8, 2019, 3:46 pm
Last Post: promptscore
  Attendance figures rise by 3.2% in Italy Black Urum 0 3,412 Jun 9, 2009, 6:28 pm
Last Post: Black Urum