Poll: Which is tournament is more important
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Olympics
71.43%
5 71.43%
FIBA World Championship
28.57%
2 28.57%
Total 7 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
More Prestigious: World Championship or Olympic Gold
(Sep 16, 2010, 8:25 pm)Vilius Wrote: I partly agree with you. This argument isn't totally wrong. Some of those players want to play in 2012 and they decided to take a break this year. Wouldn't playing now and retiring internationally after 2010 be a better option if we speak about which event is more important? If we searched for quotes by players from different NT's regarding the importance of certain tournament we might get a better idea I guess.

We should not forget that we are talking about a large group of players missing WC. It's not "some player not playing". The list pretty large.

All of the teams want to have their best squads in every tournament. But in those cases when the decision must be made whether to play in WC or in OG the latter is the priority.

I think I answered that in my previous post.

If players are injured, if their team in the NBA orders them not to play, if they are too tired to play again after years of playing long seasons and in then summer, it does not mean that one tournament is "more important" than another. That's just complete nonsense.

Anyone that actually expects these players to play every single Olympics and World Championship is a fool. To then claim one tournament is "more important" if they missed it is just stupid. Especially when players were injured.

Besides that, NBA teams ordered some of them not to play. These same NBA teams have been telling players not to play at EVERY tournament. It just happened this time guys were negotiating new contracts.

In fact the Mavs and Spurs told their players NOT to play at the 2008 Olympics but they were not working on new contracts. So to claim this means "one tournament is more important" to those players is not only false, it's actually an insult to those players and a flat out lie.

The TRUTH = NBA CONTRACTS are more important to those players than anything related to their national teams or any such tournament.

It's really sad and pathetic that some people are trying to manipulate and distort what is blatantly obvious here.

The players will drop out of the Olympics with the speed of light if their NBA teams threaten their contracts over it. It does not have anything to do with this nonsense of imagination that some people in this thread are talking about.

Messages In This Thread
More Prestigious: World Championship or Olympic Gold - by forum troll - Sep 16, 2010, 8:52 pm

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  2024 FIBA Olympic Qualifying Tournaments TalkBasket 0 153 Nov 22, 2023, 2:59 pm
Last Post: TalkBasket
  Eleven countries interested in hosting FIBA Basketball World Cup 2023 TalkBasket 1 2,135 Sep 19, 2023, 1:28 pm
Last Post: LettCat
  FIBA World Cup 2023 Quarterfinals: Let's Predict the Winners! 🏀 TalkBasket 0 247 Sep 4, 2023, 2:43 pm
  South American Basketball Championship (Brazil and Argentina) Abram Jones 0 1,517 Apr 3, 2019, 8:37 am
Last Post: Abram Jones
  FIBA World Cup 2019 European Qualifiers TalkBasket 1 2,699 Aug 24, 2018, 6:06 pm