Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Greece - FYR of Macedonia name issue
(Sep 19, 2011, 11:47 am)vakasimo2 Wrote: I agree it is ridiculous to claim that Alexander was slavic. And I agree that FYR Macedonia shoudn't get any Greek soil from gREECE TOO.

However I wonder what do greeks think about them and their country. You want those lands back ?

Things on how I see them

Claims:

FYROM claims the monopoly to "Macedonia" and say they are direct descendants of Alexander the Great.

Greece claims "ancient Macedonians" was a Hellenic tribe, with Hellenic culture, language and initial land.

It really doesn't help when one party (FYROM) calls itself Macedonia, as a state while the other (Greece) has a province called Macedonia.

Greece doesn't ask FYROM not to use the term of Macedonia, nor has it land claims... Greece is willing to arrange some sort of solution where the "two Macedonians" will be easily distinguished, like "Northen Macedonia", "Slavomacedonia", "Vardarska Macedonia" etc...

I don't dispute that some, or maybe many, of ancient Macedonians somehow got assimilated into Slavic culture and are indeed direct descendants of Alexander the Great etc... but even if that's the case... the current nation has nothing to do with the ancient one. They don't use Greek alphabet or language, their names are not "ancient Macedonian" names and they are a Slavic nation now.

I understand the need of newly formed states to bid on nationalistic and patriotic feelings to establish some sort of "identity" for the nation itself and for its citizens. Especially if the population is not homogenous... Slavomacedonians, Bulgarians, Albanians, Serbs etc... still could go for a more original and "own" identity.

And last, even if the issue is not solved, I don't think it benefits any of the two parties that there is a rift over it that affects all aspects. Normally the two countries should be #1 financial, cultural (I mean as "Macedonians" they should be friendly inclined to Greek language?) and strategic partners (common Bulgaria and Albania surrounding poles). Instead the two government give stupidity shows over some letters. And as a Greek I'm happy the Greek government has become much more "softer" and has made many steps back on this issue. Can't say same on FYROM though who feeds on the insecurities of its own people and is stuck with a nationalist government.
Respect and thanks for everything:

Alvertis, Bodiroga, Jasikevicius, Radja, Wilkins, Vrankovic, Fotsis, Rebraca, Kattash, Gentile, Koch, Middleton, Kutluay, Rogers, Papadopoulos, Becirovic, Tomasevic, Siskauskas, Pekovic, Lakovic, Vujanic, Chatzivrettas, Maljkovic, Spanoulis and many more to follow in the near future.
[Image: vspa.jpg]

Messages In This Thread
Greece - FYR of Macedonia name issue - by ZEUS - Sep 18, 2011, 11:38 pm
Greece - FYR of Macedonia name issue - by vakasimo2 - Sep 19, 2011, 11:47 am
Greece - FYR of Macedonia name issue - by klanec - Sep 19, 2011, 11:48 am
Greece - FYR of Macedonia name issue - by klanec - Sep 19, 2011, 4:33 pm
Greece - FYR of Macedonia name issue - by Led00 - Sep 19, 2011, 4:39 pm
Greece - FYR of Macedonia name issue - by ZEUS - Sep 19, 2011, 4:55 pm
Greece - FYR of Macedonia name issue - by klanec - Sep 19, 2011, 7:23 pm
Greece - FYR of Macedonia name issue - by Black Urum - Sep 20, 2011, 5:59 pm
Greece - FYR of Macedonia name issue - by skangles - Sep 20, 2011, 6:52 pm
Greece - FYR of Macedonia name issue - by ZEUS - Sep 20, 2011, 8:01 pm