Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Players and coaches interviews
ESP - Calderon confidence soars after superb second year

From http://www.fiba.com

Now a contract extension could be on the way.

Calderon, who has one year left on his current deal, told the Spanish Basketball Federation's official website on Tuesday: Unofficially, I know they (Toronto) are very happy with me.

"During the season, there have been several teams interested in my transfer but Toronto didn't want to let me go."

The 25-year-old did have a terrific year.

He was anonymous as a rookie but he blossomed into a valuable back-up this season and even started 11 times as Toronto won 47 games en route to the Eastern Conference play-offs.

Calderon averaged 13 points and 5.3 assists in 21 minutes per game during the play-offs, up from his regular season averages of 8.7 and 5.0

"I do feel as I am in the best moment of my career," Calderon said. "Each year I try to improve. Last year, I heard rumours that they were going to trade me but now they respect me. I am not only happy for my season, but also because now, they know me."

Calderon started for one of Spain's most successful clubs, Tau Ceramica, before leaving for the NBA.

He knew that launching a career in the NBA would not be easy.

"The first year (in the NBA) is always complicated," he said. "Last season, we were a losing side and it?s difficult to feel comfortable and then I had an injury that hindered the second part of my campaign."

Calderon following that up by joining the Spanish national team and helping them cut down the opposition all summer.

They went undefeated against other international teams in the build-up to the FIBA World Championship, and then won all their games on the way to the gold medal in Japan.

When he returned to Toronto, Calderon had additional confidence from his summer with Spain's national team.

"This year (in the NBA) has been completely different," he said. "I had the willingness to prove that I could play there."

Calderon still finds it odd how regular-season games in the NBA are not as intense as those in Europe.

"One thing that really shocked me was that in the NBA, even if you lose a game, in the changing room you joke around, while in Europe if you lose a game it affects you for a week," he said. "Play-offs are a different story."

While fellow Spanish international and Jorge Garbajosa joined the side this season from Unicaja Malaga, Calderon said he was also close friends with the American players.

"One player that I really have connected with has been Darrick Martin," Calderon said.

"He joined Toronto (from Minnesota) last season like me and from the first day, he told me `I am here to help you, not to take minutes off you'. He is an incredible guy and has helped me a lot."
Respect and thanks for everything:

Alvertis, Bodiroga, Jasikevicius, Radja, Wilkins, Vrankovic, Fotsis, Rebraca, Kattash, Gentile, Koch, Middleton, Kutluay, Rogers, Papadopoulos, Becirovic, Tomasevic, Siskauskas, Pekovic, Lakovic, Vujanic, Chatzivrettas, Maljkovic, Spanoulis and many more to follow in the near future.
[Image: vspa.jpg]

Messages In This Thread
[No subject] - by TalkBasket - Feb 11, 2007, 8:01 pm
[No subject] - by Black Urum - Jun 15, 2007, 12:48 am
[No subject] - by Black Urum - Jun 15, 2007, 12:44 pm
[No subject] - by Black Urum - Jun 15, 2007, 12:45 pm
[No subject] - by Black Urum - Jun 19, 2007, 2:13 pm
[No subject] - by Black Urum - Jun 20, 2007, 1:22 am
[No subject] - by Black Urum - Jun 21, 2007, 1:11 am
[No subject] - by TalkBasket - Jun 21, 2007, 12:30 pm
Re: Players and coaches interviews - by TalkBasket - Jun 30, 2007, 4:52 pm