Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
PBA
Post here all news, rumors, comments, everything concerning the Philippine Basketball Association...

useful links:

official website

www.pba-online.net - fan forum

wikipedia article
PUREFOODS ARE PBA CHAMPS!!!

Giants Sweep Aces

Quote:KING JAMES’ NIGHT

Giants complete sweep of Aces

By Musong R. Castillo

Philippine Daily Inquirer

First Posted 00:27:00 03/04/2010

MANILA, Philippines—Talk about a complete night and you’ll end up talking about James Yap.

On a night when he scooped up two individual accolades, Yap helped Purefoods complete a dream ride in the KFC-PBA Philippine Cup title series by keying an 86-76 victory for a sweep of Alaska before close to 17,000 screaming souls at the Araneta Coliseum in Quezon City.

Hours after winning his first Player of the Conference award, Yap drained the shots that deflated the Aces in the fourth period as the Tender Juicy Giants posted just the fourth 4-0 sweep in the PBA—third in a championship series, and first in an all-Filipino finals.

“Of course I am happy,” Yap told scribes in Filipino, a few minutes before Game 4’s tip-off. “But more than anything, I would like the team to win the championship, so that everyone would be happy.”

A couple of hours after that statement and after 18 big points that led all Purefoods shooters, Yap got what he wanted.

“We achieved our goal,” added Yap, who was later named the Handy Fix PBA Press Corps Finals MVP. “I am doubly happy now because me and my teammates have the biggest reason to celebrate.”

Purefoods actually won its last seven games in the playoffs en route to its fifth all-Filipino crown to tie the defunct Crispa Redmanizers for the most won by any franchise.

Roger Yap was also big, finishing with 16 points and six assists, with a follow-up of his own miss in the final 2:28 giving the Tender Juicy Giants an 81-73 lead.

The Aces entertained thoughts of coming back at that point with Willie Miller hitting a trey, but James Yap hit a three-pointer with the shot clock winding down which made it 84-76 with 1:48 remaining.

“Chapter closed. Destination reached. Mission accomplished. Now we can celebrate,” Purefoods coach Ryan Gregorio, who won his second AFC title, told reporters.

Meanwhile, Air21 and Talk ‘N Text sealed a five-player swap Tuesday. The Express took back to their fold center Yancy de Ocampo and shooting guard Ren Ren Ritualo in exchange for JR Quiñahan, Mark Yee and Aaron Aban.

Also, the league upgraded sanctions and fines on teams walking out of games from P500,000 to P10 million, according to a release sent by the PBA to media offices.

The scores:

PUREFOODS 86—Yap J. 18, Yap R. 16, Raymundo 13, Maierhofer 12, Pingris 9, Simon 5, Reavis 5, Canaleta 3, artadi 3, Salvador 2, Allado 0.

ALASKA 76—Thoss 19, Miller 17, Tenorio 11, Hugnatan 9, Cariaso 5, DeVance 4, Fonacier 4, Dela Cruz 4, Ferriols 2, Cablay 1, Borboran 0.

Quarters: 21-15, 40-40, 65-58, 86-76
Congrats to Purefoods. Do you think they'll also be that strong in the Fiesta Conference? What will their imports be?
Die Liebe wird eine Krankheit, wenn man sie als eine Heilung sieht.
: BASKET-SPOT : - Global Basketball
How would you rank PBA among all Asian leagues? Do the teams from Philippines participate in some continental tournaments?
(Mar 4, 2010, 2:17 pm)rikhardur Wrote: Congrats to Purefoods. Do you think they'll also be that strong in the Fiesta Conference? What will their imports be?

Hmmm... IMHO, they'll be strong but not as strong as in the Philippine Cup. They are reportedly tapping the services of Reggie Larry, a former Boise State Bronco who last played (unspectacularly) for the Brunei Baraccudas in the ABL.

I'm putting my bet on san miguel beer, the defending Fiesta Conference champions, with gabe freeman back as their import. This the team to beat in the coming PBA conference. Smile
(Mar 4, 2010, 5:20 pm)Vilius Wrote: How would you rank PBA among all Asian leagues? Do the teams from Philippines participate in some continental tournaments?

PBA teams with imports should be at par with teams from the KBL and JBL. PBA is slightly higher than the ABL, perhaps slightly lower than the Middle East leagues. Ofcourse, CBA should be on top of the list in Asia.

PBA teams do not join continental tournaments. For Asia, that would be the FIBA Asia Champions Cup. PBA teams do join friendlies and pocket tournaments like the ongoing 2nd Hamdan Bin Rashid Al Maktoum Basketball Tournament (March 4 to 6, 2010) in Dubai. The Coca Cola Tigers and Burger King Whoppers (recently renamed Air 21) are playing in this tournament.
import line-up (subject to change) in the upcoming pba fiesta cup (starts March 21):

Air 21 Express (formerly Burger King Whoppers)

[Image: m-00000002113.jpg]
Keena Young, 6'6", Brigham Young

Alaska Aces

[Image: 1398629.jpeg]
Diamon Simpson, 6'7", Saint Mary's

Barako Energy Coffee Masters

[Image: Sammy_Monroe.jpg]
Sammy Monroe, 6'6", Newberry

Baranggay Ginebra Kings

[Image: p-storey.jpg]
Awvee Storey, 6'6", Arizona State

Coca Cola Tigers

[Image: jpenny.jpg]
James Penny, 6'6", Texas Christian

(B-Meg) Derby Ace Llamados (formerly Purefoods TJ Giants)

[Image: 2328978.jpeg]
Lorrenzo Wade(?), 6'6", San Diego State

Rain or Shine Elasto Painters

[Image: 259836.jpeg]
Jai Lewis, 6'7", George Mason

San Miguel Beermen

[Image: gabe-freeman-mesa.jpg]
Gabe Freeman, 6'6", Costa Mesa JC

Sta. Lucia Realtors

[Image: 3308379711_ae97bcbbf7_m.jpg]
Anthony Johnson, 6'6", Louisana-Lafayette

Talk 'N Text Tropang Texters

[Image: 317893.jpeg]
Eric Hicks, 6'6", Cincinnati
like i said, pba imports lineup are very much subject to change. below is an article about the challenges faced by imports in the pba. fairly dated, but still relevant and reflective of the current situation in the pba....

Players From U.S. Face Added Pressure in Philippines

Quote:Players From U.S. Face Added Pressure in Philippines

By RAPHAEL BARTHOLOMEW

Published: April 21, 2006

The New York Times

MANILA — Quemont Greer was atop the league in scoring in the Philippine Basketball Association, averaging almost 27 points in the regular season. Greer, a 6-foot-7 forward out of DePaul University, led his team, the Red Bull Barakos, to a 9-7 record and into the playoffs.

But before the playoffs started, Red Bull cut him. Coach Yeng Guiao said he did not think the team was good enough to win a championship with the 24-year-old Greer, so the Barakos replaced him with another player from the United States, the 29-year-old James Penny.

In the Philippines, where basketball vies with politics for the title of most ruthless pastime, heads of state are not the only ones who worry about being removed from office.

"You might get off the plane on Friday, and if you don't play good you could be gone next week," said James Hodges III, an agent based in Atlanta. He played professional basketball for 11 years, until 2004, and played the 1996 season in the Philippines.

Penny, out of Texas Christian, played in United States minor leagues, Mexico, the Domincan Republic, Argentina, Lebanon and China before the Philippines. But he had never taken someone's job so late in a season.

"Usually, when something like this happens the team is struggling," Penny said. "You don't come in and try to replace somebody who's the leading scorer in the league with his team being in second or third place. It's kind of iffy to me."

Coaches in the Philippine Basketball Association, however, do not lose much sleep over the way the league treats imports.

Foreign players are expected to do "pretty much everything," according to Ronnie Magsanoc, assistant coach for the Purefoods Chunkee Giants. That includes averaging at least 20 points and 12 rebounds a game while being a vocal leader and guarding the other teams' best players.

In the 2005-6 Fiesta Conference, the association's nine teams were each allowed one import who could be no taller than 6-6. Only four of the nine imports lasted the entire regular season, and two of those four did not make it through the postseason. One team, the Santa Lucia Realty, played four different imports during the 16-game regular season.

Imports can be replaced at any point in the season, including the playoffs. It would be possible, for example, to hire Latrell Sprewell for Game 7 of the association's finals. This would be considered good management, not unfair, according to Joel Banal, former coach of the Talk 'N Text Phone Pals. "They deserve to win if they can convince him to come," Banal said.

Lofty expectations and the attitude that the import players are disposable can put so much pressure on players that it affects their performance.

Darvin Ham, a member of the 2004 champion Detroit Pistons and an eight-year N.B.A. veteran, played three games with Talk 'N Text in January. Ham said it was like "hooping in handcuffs" because he had jet lag and he was unfamiliar with his teammates and persecuted by referees.

"They try to put the pressure on the import," Ham said. "It's a team sport. Everyone should be held accountable. I think the imports suffer for the lack of performance the natives might put out."

Ham, who was described as "no extraordinary player" on the Philippine Basketball Association's Web site, said he was treated unfairly; Talk 'N Text went 1-2 and lost their playoff series with him in the lineup. "I averaged a double-double over here with like 16 and 12," he said, referring to points and rebounds. "These articles the P.B.A. is putting online are like propaganda."

The key to avoiding the association's unforgiving eye is consistency, said Norman Black, a resident of the Philippines who grew up in Baltimore. He played and coached in the Phillipine association for more than 20 years.

"You're almost like a hired gun," Black said. "You better get the win, and if you don't win, you better get your numbers."

Players put up with the teams' reputation for being fickle employers because they pay well, Hodges, the agent, said. The league maximum salary of $12,000 a month is more than twice what players receive in the United States playing for the N.B.A. Development League or the Continental Basketball Association.

"Some guys will always take the chance," Hodges said. "They see the money it is offering and just run with it."

Players also know their next job is only a drop-step away.

"My agent's got a list of things lined up for me when I get back," Greer said before Red Bull replaced him. "It's just a matter of choosing the best job for me."
So, the foreigners in PBA all come form United States or are there players from other countries as well? Since you are making a post at the time when I am replying to this message, I guess there will be more players coming soon.
(Mar 15, 2010, 4:48 pm)Vilius Wrote: So, the foreigners in PBA all come form United States or are there players from other countries as well? Since you are making a post at the time when I am replying to this message, I guess there will be more players coming soon.

10 pba teams only. 1 import per team. so that is the list. for now. some may last a few weeks before being replaced (personally, i don't think barako bull's sammy monroe will last long). san miguel's gabe freeman and maybe sta. lucia's anthony johnson should last the whole conference.

majority of imports are americans. but there were a sprinkling of non-american imports in the pba's 35 years or so history. a couple of canadians. some nigerians (notably, julius nwosu). and a moroccan (reda rhalimi). but i think 100% of the imports attended u.s. schools.
purefoods changes name....

this article basically reflects how the pba mixes basketball, business and entertainment.

Quote:Wednesday, March 17, 2010

From hotdogs to cockfighters... llamado sila!

[Image: IMG_9941.JPG]

O, mga bagong sabungero!

Why the change from Purefoods TJ to B-MEG Derby Ace?

San Miguel Purefoods' PBA team was changed to bring brand recognition to the B-MEG game fowl feed brand which San Miguel Foods Inc. is aggressively pushing this year. Purefoods-Hormel agreed to help its sister company benefit from the many advantages of the PBA team branding.

Purefoods has changed its PBA name several times --Purefoods Tender Juicy Hotdogs, Coney Island Ice Cream Stars, Purefoods Oodles, Purefoods Chunkee Giants, and Purefoods TJ Giants. I asked Mr. Rene Pardo, Purefoods Board Representative, and he said that they have won the title for every name change. Wow. So does that mean that a title under the Llamados name is on the horizon?

"There's pressure every time," answered Ryan Gregorio, Derby Ace Llamados coach. "Whether we won the championship or lost it, there's pressure. And we'll answer the challenge with the same fire, focus, determination, and commitment."

Posted by Rick Olivares
big business knocking on pba's door....

article from Manila Standard

March 22, 2010

Quote:Meralco wants to enter PBA

by Rey Joble

MANILA Electric Company may soon be back in the big-time basketball scene.

The company, which had a rich basketball tradition as competitor in the old Manila Industrial Commercial Athletic Association, expressed interest in joining Asia’s first professional cage league—the Philippine Basketball Association.

A highly-placed source from the company told Standard Today that the group of businessman/sportsman Manuel V. Pangilinan announced to some key employees of Meralco its plan of entering the country’s premier professional basketball league. Pangilinan’s group owns majority of the firm.

Pangilinan is no stranger to basketball. He is the president of the Samahang Basketbol ng Pilipinas, which is the governing body of amateur basketball in the country. He also owns and runs the basketball affairs of Talk N Text, one of the 10 member-teams of the PBA, as well as the all-amateur national team Smart-Gilas.

“Mr. Pangilinan announced to some employees the company’s plan of joining the PBA,” said the source. “We’re excited because Meralco was once known as a competitor and one of the glamour teams in the old MICAA. The company is also very much involved in other sporting events.”

But whether Meralco, champion of the 1971 MICAA, will enter the league as an expansion team or will buy one of the existing franchises in the PBA, remains a big question. The PBA is planning to expand its roster from 10 to 12 teams by 2011.

Then known as the Reddie Kilowatts, Meralco was the fierce rival of the fabled Crispa Redmanizers in the MICAA.

The Reddie Kilowatts were the predecessors of the legendary Komatsu/Toyota Comets and among their players included Robert Jaworski, Big Boy Reynoso, Francis Arnaiz, the late Fort Acuna and Orly Bauzon. When Meralco left, some of the players were absorbed by the Komatsu Comets, who later became Toyota when the PBA opened in 1975.

Perhaps one of the highlights of Meralco’s games was the suspension for life of Jaworski and Reynoso, who mauled referee Joe Obias and Edilberto Cruz during a match against the Floro Redmanizers in December of 1971.