Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lithuania NT 2012
Quote:Wow, definitely wasn't expecting Lithuania to get man-handled like that. Argentina is amazing, their average age as a team is pretty high, but at least in this game it didn't show at all?

Lietuva better not underestimate Nigeria like we did, or else they may go through the same shameful process Tongue Crazy

I start thinking that the ultimate game of the tournament could be a Argentina vs Spain game, as I don't think that anyone can beat USA.

Of course, that may was just a bad game by Lithuania and we also have to wait and see what Russia is capable of.

I think though that a game between Argentina and Spain would be epic!
[Image: panathinaikos-basket-opadoi.jpg]
Quote:Absolutely horrible performance by Lithuania at both ends of the court. They were totally ill prepared and looked like they don't belong in the Olympics.

There is really nothing positive to say. Kleiza made some nice shots and had a decent game but many of his shots were again off of isolation and to be honest they were low percentage shots that he happened to hit. Really it was just an abysmal game.

Argentina played at 100% capacity. They put on a masters class in basketball theory. Lietuva could not have played worse so it can only get better from here. The Liths will bounce back. It seemed they lacked energy. There was no movement in the offense. The Liths better put Nigeria in there place so not to give them confidence.

Quote:Wow, definitely wasn't expecting Lithuania to get man-handled like that. Argentina is amazing, their average age as a team is pretty high, but at least in this game it didn't show at all? Lietuva better not underestimate Nigeria like we did, or else they may go through the same shameful process Tongue Crazy

Zeus you should play in our prediction game! Argentina is looking like a damn dood squad. I wish USA could play like they play. So smooth and continuious on offnese. It was a master piece of a game by the South Americans.
Argentina played great yesterday, they really played like a team, they were smooth on offense. They have grown since their friendly matches. I think if Argentina keeps playing like this, that they could beat team USA although team USA also played good against France.

Lithuania disappointed me. They didn't play well on defense and they weren't great at on offense. Kleiza hit his shots but will he keep hitting those shots, I doubt it. Valanciunas had 3 fouls but I would have played him more. Jasaitis may have grabbed 5 rebounds but he didn't do anything on offense. The same goes for Kaukenas and Pocius. Lithuania needs to step up their game.

If they underestimate Nigeria and think that they will beat them easily, they will be wrong. Nigeria will play their hearts out very game and they will fight for every victory. Lithuania can beat Nigeria but they shouldn't underestimate Nigeria
Quote:Lietuva better not underestimate Nigeria like we did, or else they may go through the same shameful process Tongue Crazy

The positive thing is that Nigeria also stunned Lithuania in the game before Greece. Fortunately for Lithuania it was in Group play. If Nigeria beats Lithuania again it won't be because Lithuania underestimated them, it will simply mean that Nigeria is the better team.
Lietuva can beat them, they just need to get their act together Smile
[Image: paok0bw.gif]
According to reports, Jonas Valanciunas was benched against Argentina because of foul trouble and his defensive effort during the game.

Kemzura benched him because he couldn't contain Luis Scola. Valanciunas is still a young guy who has a lot to learn, so let him make mistakes and he'll learn from them. By the way he wasn't the only player that didn't play well on defense
Huge win by Lithuania today. They absolutely needed it. Despite winning big they didn't look that convincing at times and let their initial huge lead slip away. Still they got the result that they needed.

Early in the third quarter both Valanciunas and Songaila were in foul trouble and Kavaliauskas stepped up big time. I think he may have just played himself into the rotation.

Group A is wide open after France's win over Argentina. If Lithuania can beat France they will be in great shape especially considering they went into today on the verge of elimination.
I forgot to complement Donny Marshall on his announcing today. He was a breath of fresh air after the crap we've had to put up with here in the states. His Lithuanian pronunciation was pretty awful but he knew what he was talking about and added value to the game.

Donny Marshall's UCONN teams in the early 90s is what got me into college basketball. Watching him, Ray Allen, Doron Sheffer and Travis Knight was a joy and I am still a UCONN fan today because of that group.

I also didn't mention that the refs were once again horrible. I felt sorry for Nigeria at the beginning of the game, they could not get a call. But the best FIBA ref moment of the game was when Lithuania had the ball with 7 seconds left on the shot clock and the time keepers sounded the horn and gave the ball to Nigeria. Solid officiating folks.
Quote:Zeus you should play in our prediction game! Argentina is looking like a damn dood squad. I wish USA could play like they play. So smooth and continuious on offnese. It was a master piece of a game by the South Americans.

Not sure how those things work to be honest Tongue

Also, after watching the Argentina-Lithuania match, Argentina played like HELL, Lithuania was way too soft, only Kleiza showed some fighting spirit to keep his team somewhat in the game. If Lithuania doesn't have Valanciunas in the game in the 5 on court, the rest of the players are going to have to hustle like hell to make up for the lack of a big man. If Lithuania does not do this, I don't see them reaching deep into the tournament at all.
Lithuania has to step up their game. They need to play agressive and defend better.

When Valanciunas is on the floor they are another team. Hopefully for Lithuania Valanciunas can stay out of foultrouble and the rest of the team step up their game, otherwise they won't make it far in the tournament
I don't know what games you guys have been watching but Valanciunas has done nothing in the two games thus far. His fould trouble has been troubling but to be honest based on what he has been doing while he is on the court it has sadly not really changed the game. I do agree with both of you that he needs to step it up big time.

Against Nigeria he was totally outplayed by both Songaila and Kavaliauskas. It remains to be seen whether Kavaliauskas can dominate against better competition but if things keep going this way Kavaliauskas may be Lithuania's answer in the paint. I never thought those words could have come out of me just last week.
Lithuania looked much better today except for the third quarter where they forgot how to play basketball. Their second quarter and end of the fourth quarter were great but they deserved to lose because of that atrocious third quarter. Nevertheless they looked like they can more than just hang with the big boys which is refreshing ahead of the knockout round. Lithuania may luck out and get Russia instead of Spain in that 1 vs 4 game.

Kemzura wisely limited Valanciunas to just 7 minutes. He needs to play much better when he's out there because the team looks way more organized at both ends of the court with the inferior Kavaliauskas.
I saw a good game of Lithuania. They could have won it and that would have been a big upset. I hope they keep playing like this.Pocius played a good game, I really like the way he played. I've never seen Kavaliauskas play but he has surprised me, he's a good role player. Valanciunas will have to step up his game otherwise he won't play much in the next couple of game.
Too bad for Lietuva losing from the US in the finest of details. Yet again the travelling of the US isn't called... Blink Rolleyes

One gets sick and tired of seeing it Dry
Quote:Too bad for Lietuva losing from the US in the finest of details. Yet again the travelling of the US isn't called... Blink Rolleyes

One gets sick and tired of seeing it Dry

I agree with you Zeus on the travelling. Lithuania played good and deserved a win.

The officials during the game are bad, I hope they will be better in QF's

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Greece NT 2012 Black Urum 79 36,010 Sep 30, 2012, 12:05 pm
Last Post: TeoTheGreek13
  USA NT 2012 skangles 373 144,476 Aug 13, 2012, 11:16 pm
Last Post: skangles
  BRAZIL NT 2012 Raze Lupin 14 7,497 Aug 8, 2012, 5:24 pm
Last Post: Kenneth23
  Pre-Olympic tournament 2012 TeoTheGreek13 85 38,546 Jul 9, 2012, 5:18 am
Last Post: skangles
  Pre-Olympic tournament 2012 - Draw TeoTheGreek13 11 6,941 Jul 5, 2012, 12:48 pm
Last Post: ZEUS