Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
OFFICIAL Panathinaikos thread
After just one EuroLeague game head coach Argyris Pedoulakis stepped down from head coach position. The rumour is that Pini Gershon, Luca Banchi, Jonas Kazlauskas and Xavi Pascual are the favourites to take his place. Apparently Pascual turned down the offer.

Quote:Argyris Pedoulakis resigns as Panathinaikos boss

Argyris Pedoulakis offered his resignation as Panathinaikos Athens head coach on Tuesday and the club has accepted.

Pedoulakis resigned as coach following an 88-63 road loss against archrivals Olympiacos Piraeus in the Greek League. He helped Panathinaikos win its first Turkish Airlines EuroLeague game of the season, beating Zalgiris Kaunas 84-76 in the Greek capital. Pedoulakis, 52, took over the Panathinaikos bench from Aleksandar Djordjevic following the Turkish Airlines Euroleague Playoffs in April and guided the team to the Greek League finals, where it lost to Olympiacos.

He previously coached the Greens for a season and a half from the summer of 2012, when he took over for Zeljko Obradovic, until March 2014. He brought the club to the brink of the 2013 Final Four and had a 26-22 record in EuroLeague games with the club.

Pedoulakis also won the 2013 Greek championship and a pair of Greek Cups in his time there, and also coached in the EuroLeague with Peristeri Athens of Greece and Unics Kazan of Russia.

He also has coached teams such as Makedonikos, Panellinios, Rethymno, PAOK and ΑΕΚ Athens. He guided Makedonikos to the 2005 ULEB Cup final. Panathinaikos is looking for a new coach before the team visits CSKA Moscow this week.

http://www.talkbasket.net/23197-argyris-...-boss.html
Pascual might still not be out of question. Supposedly PAO presented an improved offer to him. Greek media reports that Pascual is asking for 2-year deal and complete control of PAO's side of sports, as well as some roster changes.
Quote:Xavi Pascual arrives to sign deal with Panathinaikos

Xavi Pascual has arrived in Athens to sign for Panathinaikos on a three-year deal reports in Greece are saying.

Pascual, who coached Barcelona from 2008 to 2016 and led the Catalan side to the EuroLeague title in 2010 will replace Argyris Pedoulakis, who resigned last week following the team’s loss in the Greek Basket League to rivals Olympiacos.

It was reported that a mere 24 hours following Pedoulakis’ departure, Panathinaikos were in talks with Pascual but talks broke down after the 44-year-old asked for a three-year deal instead of an original two-year contract that was originally put on the table.

However, Panathinaikos worked to get their number one choice to Greece.

“I am very happy to be here,” Pascual said at Athens airport today.

“The club, management, players and fans will be united in order to finish the season quite well. I love my job, Greek basketball and Panathinaikos. So I am very happy. I like Greek basketball. Greece has a tradition. The honour of being here is mine. It’s an honour to be a part of a team with such a big history.”

http://www.talkbasket.net/23242-xavi-pas...aikos.html

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  OFFICIAL Olympiacos thread TalkBasket 0 2,300 Sep 8, 2018, 8:29 am
Last Post: TalkBasket
  Official Dimitris Diamantidis thread Black Urum 9 9,294 Nov 13, 2016, 4:37 pm
  Panathinaikos 2014/2015 TalkBasket 0 3,611 Dec 30, 2014, 6:26 pm
  2011/12 Panathinaikos Black Urum 53 36,265 Jul 14, 2012, 7:37 pm
Last Post: Kenneth23
  Future of Panathinaikos BC Black Urum 26 19,169 Jul 5, 2012, 1:02 pm