Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Eurobasket 2013 - Discussion
So Italy get's the job done. Sucks for Serbia, their prize for winning Group E is Spain in the Quarterfinals.

It reminds me of the 2004 Olympics when the US was awful during Group play and got squared up with the red hot Spanish team in the first knock game whereby the US finally got their act together and sent Spain home. The biggest difference though is while Serbia vs. Spain could go either way, I genuinely think that Serbia is the favorites.
I see that the Nuggets traded Kosta Koufos to the Grizzlies. Sounds like the Grizzlies have wanted him for a while and plan on using him as Gasol's backup so that's a positive development for Greece.
^ Maybe he could at last learn some basketball from Gasol instead of just being a piece of meat Tongue Mellow
[Image: paok0bw.gif]
(Sep 16, 2013, 5:12 pm)skangles Wrote: Sorry guys. I'm still pulling for Italy even with the Greek result decided as I'd much rather Lithuania face Italy than Spain in the quarterfinals.

What is the story with the Wild Card? Will they just select a club that didn't qualify because they have a good fan backing and FIBA can make some money off of them?

I could get all the games live and on demand in the US through ESPN and now that I'm in Germany, I cannot watch any of the Eurobasket games whilst in Europe? This is ridiculous.

According to the Greek media, Greece has a high chance of getting the wild card for entry into the WC next year Rolleyes
Good, I mean it makes sense financially and I would like to see Greece in Spain next year even though the concept of a wild card is utter bull sh*t irrespective of which team gets it. With that said, Greece is definitely a logical choice.

Hopefully, Lithuania gets at least top six to qualify outright because the one thing about Lithuanians is they travel incredibly well and could give Greece on run on the financial benefit to FIBA.
(Sep 17, 2013, 8:30 pm)ZEUS Wrote: ^ Maybe he could at last learn some basketball from Gasol instead of just being a piece of meat Tongue Mellow

Exactly, I wish I could send some Bucks prospects to go apprentice under Gasol. He's one of the best in the business.
So either Serbia or Slovenia will not qualify for the World Championship next summer. Tough break. The loser of that game may give Greece a serious run for their money on that wild card spot.
First 7 goes to World Champs. Why do u say that?
(Mar 4, 2012, 7:59 pm)KAPALI Wrote: "...I can show U what I am everytime everywhere your web artist..."
Top 6 European teams go to the FIBA World Cup but there are 4 Wild Cards.

Nevermind, Spain qualifies automatically as the hosts and then there are six more spots. You're right. I forgot about the host angle.
I'm glad this only happens once a year, I don't know how much more of this I can take. Lithuania achieved their objective and qualified for the World Cup (stupid name by the way, there was nothing wrong with calling it the World Championship. Now it just sounds like their a kid's federation pretending to be FIFA).

They started off great and then let Italy back into it in the second quarter. They built a massive lead int he fourth and then let it slip away. Italy had a legitimate chance to get back into that game. I feel like I haven't breathed since about midway through that second quarter.
This schedule seems a bit backwards. Why do the two teams that played today have the first semi final tomorrow? It's only a few hours difference and both Croatia and Lithuania will be facing the same disadvantage so it neutralizes the effect but still let France and Spain play in the early game and Lithuania and Croatia have the late game.
(Sep 19, 2013, 6:30 am)skangles Wrote: So either Serbia or Slovenia will not qualify for the World Championship next summer. Tough break. The loser of that game may give Greece a serious run for their money on that wild card spot.

Yeah, but Greece is no. 4 in the world power rankings compared to the rest of 'em... so... Crazy
Massive upset today!! Ukraine is going to Spain. So a brutal matchup between Italy vs Serbia for the last spot. If Serbia loses there's no way that I can see them missing out on one of those four wild cards after winning Groups B & E.

Lithuania reached the Final!!! Just one more game...come on Lithuania!
If anyone told me at the start of the tournament that Lithuania would be at the Final, I'd say he was crazy. And here we are with Lithuania in the Final. I wish they win the whole thing.
[Image: panathinaikos-basket-opadoi.jpg]
I didn't think that they would make it, they lacked that deep three presence the entire tournament. They got a lucky draw for the Quarterfinals and Semifinals but Italy and Croatia are by no means pushovers. Lithuania already handled France but if they meet them again it won't be so easy and Spain has woken up. It looks like it will be a Spain vs Lithuania final. Not bad.
Spain OUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Ohmy Laugh Crazy Rofl3

[Image: play-times-over-motherfucker.gif]
I cannot believe that France came back to win that game!! Unreal!

Nice graphic Zeus.
Well, Lithuania came up a game short. Too bad. It's been a fun tournament and it's been nice to see TalkBasket active again.
Congrats to France! They showed best basketball in elimination round. Agree

Although they lost from Serbia Wink

I'm glad for Spain who was out from final after four Eurobaskets. Laugh

As for Serbia we made it to the WC2014.Which was are primary target. Smile In local newspapers they was on impact criticism for hard defeats against Spain and Slovenia. Bag
[Image: 26637_navijanjeee409_blic_markodjurica_f.jpg]
(Sep 23, 2013, 12:02 am)skangles Wrote: Well, Lithuania came up a game short. Too bad. It's been a fun tournament and it's been nice to see TalkBasket active again.

I hope TB will back on the feet when start Euroleague Agree
[Image: 26637_navijanjeee409_blic_markodjurica_f.jpg]

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Eurobasket 2013 rikhardur 21 15,683 Aug 26, 2013, 10:58 pm
Last Post: Fivepack
  Eurobasket 2013 - Qualifying round TeoTheGreek13 23 13,703 May 4, 2013, 9:27 am
Last Post: ZEUS