Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Most Overrated/Underrated Player
Who is the most overrated and underrated player to you?

To me:

Underrated Player = Lamar Odom

Every team he has played for he has been behind another major star and he doesn't get even half the credit he deserves. He's easily a 20/8/8 player because of his versitially.

Overrated Player = Kind of tough to decide here but I'm going to have to say Jason Richardson

Every since he's came into the NBA people have been waiting for him to because this big superstar, MVP type player and he hasn't reached that level after 4-5 seasons. He still has time but I don't see him reaching
Underrated Player = Marcus Camby

Has been the BEST defensive player in the NBA for the last 3-4 years. Also has either lead the league or been top 5 everyone of those years as well. He is not asked to score and still gets double digit rebounds, every year its Carmelo, Kenyon Marting, Iverson that gets talked about and never Camby. All that good stuff and not even an allstar invite.

Overrated Player = Vince Carter or Richard Jefferson or Shawn Marion

All these guys are athletic phenoms. HOWEVER atheticism is nothing. Vince used to be a STAR (before his injury) but now he is a decent sidekick but makes MEGA MONEY. Jefferson is pretty solid but has never had to shoulder the load and thus everyone always talks about when he leads a team to the playoffs...hello....he didnt even lead the Nets the last couple years with Kidd and Carter. Marion....ohhhh...complains in PHX where Steve Nash got him all his points on fast breaks and then goes to Miami and whines there....what did he expect, he went from one of the best teams in the league to the worst one. Not to mention....NO NASH, NO STOUDEMIRE, NO DIAW, NO BELL....NO EASY SHOTS! PLUS he gets paid HUGE MONEY TOO!
Underrated: Kostas Tsartsaris of Panathinaikos and Greece NT

Overrated: Teo Papaloukas of CSKA and Greece NT
Respect and thanks for everything:

Alvertis, Bodiroga, Jasikevicius, Radja, Wilkins, Vrankovic, Fotsis, Rebraca, Kattash, Gentile, Koch, Middleton, Kutluay, Rogers, Papadopoulos, Becirovic, Tomasevic, Siskauskas, Pekovic, Lakovic, Vujanic, Chatzivrettas, Maljkovic, Spanoulis and many more to follow in the near future.
[Image: vspa.jpg]

(Mar 27, 2008, 10:31 pm)Black Urum Wrote: Underrated: Kostas Tsartsaris of Panathinaikos and Greece NT

Overrated: Teo Papaloukas of CSKA and Greece NT

Isnt this the NBA section.....Just messing with ya Ark.... Wink
If you ask me the most overrated player would be kobe bryant, he plays good but has a bad habit of working well with his team, a ball hogger never gets credit.
Most underrated: Memo Okur

- He is a superstar, but people only see Deron and Carlos when they look at the Jazz. When Carlos was injured, Memo delivered 30 points per game and saved the team a number of times.

Most overrated: Ben Wallace

- He is a very one-sided player. He is just good at defense, but he get treated like a huge superstar and his salary is ridiculous too.
OverRatedTonguerobably Durant, but in my opinion he is quite crap, shoting all he does his percentage is like 30 percent,and everyone was saying he will be Great player rookie like LBJ, but all he does is selfish shots.

Also Kobe,Arenas... Kobe is getting better this season but, his selfishness... Biggrin Arenas, funny guy telling everyone he is a superstar (overrated himself and people started believing him Biggrin ) absolute hole, Wizard started doing better without him this season but he was rated as team leader , BUT HE IS NOT ALL HE DOES SAYING FUNNY THINGS ON NEWSPAPER.

Underrated, Jasikevicius,Bellineli,Macijauskas. they all are great players but they couldn't find the spot for them or the coaches didn't want to find one for them.

GSW coach ruined career for 2nd player, jasikevicius,belineli both played for GSW and you all can se what job they did in the team.
(Apr 6, 2008, 7:34 pm)quince Wrote: Underrated, Jasikevicius,Bellineli,Macijauskas

They all got solid contracts but never got the playing time that should have come with the contracts... usually when you sign someone for over 5 million per season you play them alot of minutes to see what they can do...NONE have gotten any significant minutes in the NBA. Belli is still young though, his time is still coming...not so for Saras and Maci they were left for nothing by those teams.. (GSW and NOH).
Overrated - I too choose Ben Wallace. Passing the ball to him on offense is a relatively wasted possession. And he's started to lose a step on defense

Underrated - Chauncey Billups - Wheres the love for this guy man? He very rarely slips up, he's a team player, and plays a good game on both sides of the ball. Not to mention a finals MVP under his belt.
Overrated, off course, Ben Wallace. He played good, but now, he is just normal player... even worse then normal... He can't play in defense, like in the past, he can't dunk, but all people thinks that he is very good players...
I'm not trying to bias here but some reason I feel is that there are many American players that are simply overrated while some foreign players have been under rated.

I'm sorry, I should rephrase my word, its under appreciated.

My two prime examples are Lithuanian superstar Šarunas Jasikevičius and Arvydas Macijauskas.

I've seen them playing and I can tell you that these guys van be amongst the best in the NBA, if they were given the right chance.

I know Golden State Warriors had Baron Davis but in Šarunas I feel they have formidable back up players.

While Arvydas was struggling for minutes with the Hornets and I keep telling everyone to please watch that match between USA/Lithuania in the group stage that you'll know how good this guy is.

Its just going to be ashamed if more great talent come from Europe, Latin America and Asia but instead of giving to moment to shine, all they do just end up on the bench with just the one or two odd minute actions.
I agree totally, although Saras was given minutes in Indiana before going to GSW although he struggled with his shooting in Indy...maybe pressure, maybe change who knows....Maci did the same when actually given minutes they both struggled and then the coaches really put them on the bench, I asked "Coach" why it happens like that sometimes....

Quote:Nate, United States: Why is it that some players have a real difficulty adjusting to the NBA style of basketball? Example, Sarunas Jasikevicius and Arvydas Macijauskas are two of the best European players in the last decade and neither could adjust to the NBAs style, yet they both go back to the EL and both are playing very well again.....why is that?

Georgis Dikeoulakos: Well, that may happen because that kind of European players, have used to play at every game more than 35', and touching the ball at every possesion. In NBA they wait too long to play and for some players it's difficult to adjust to this new status. As I saw from Spanoulis case, his coach was trying to have a totally different player than Spanoulis used to be. I also noticed that NBA coaches do not respect European players, especially if they don't have any US college experience. On the other hand European players do not have patience, they don't want to waste time sitting on the bench, as I told you it's the first time it's happening something like that in their careers. Remember the legend Drazen Petrovic at his first year in NBA, it was a big disappointment, but he stayed in NBA, he changed team, and he started playing excellent. Of course I don't blame anybody for these situations. I also think that different styles of game can play a small role, especially for peripheral players.
(Apr 8, 2008, 8:28 am)NHutch Wrote: I agree totally, although Saras was given minutes in Indiana before going to GSW although he struggled with his shooting in Indy...maybe pressure, maybe change who knows....Maci did the same when actually given minutes they both struggled and then the coaches really put them on the bench, I asked "Coach" why it happens like that sometimes....

Then Macas came to Hornets , hornets gm's changed, so last gm's who wanted him left and he was not welcome in Hornets by new Gm and Coach.

Saras was full because he chosen not Cavaliers, where he could be like kidd and could won NBA , but he chosen Indiana instead... shame on him... Sad
Overrated - Mr Yao Ming, doesn't do enough with that height he has, needs to dominate the paint a bit more, instead of fading away from 15ft, which he is suprisingly good at, but still, needs to attack the hoop.

Underrated - Andre Miller, Most powerful PG in the league. Has an amazing mid-range J. The 76ers wouldn't be in the 6th spot this year without him, he is a leader.
(Apr 8, 2008, 9:17 am)glop Wrote: Saras was full because he chosen not Cavaliers, where he could be like kidd and could won NBA , but he chosen Indiana instead... shame on him... Sad

And why Saras chosen Indiana? Because of Lary Bird he was intviting me as well good player .. blah blah, and Saras Listened to him cause he is the legend
(Apr 8, 2008, 11:01 am)iMarsh Wrote: Overrated - Mr Yao Ming, doesn't do enough with that height he has, needs to dominate the paint a bit more, instead of fading away from 15ft, which he is suprisingly good at, but still, needs to attack the hoop.

I actually think the opposite. Yao Ming could never be an overrated player. Think of players with similar height and what they did in the world of basketball. I can't think of many really (just a few actually). Height is often more of a problem than an advantage when it comes to players as tall as he. Still he developed skills, a soft touch, he's mobile and runs the floor well. Now if you had mentioned Shaquille I would have agreed with you about the height (and power) thing Wink
Die Liebe wird eine Krankheit, wenn man sie als eine Heilung sieht.
: BASKET-SPOT : - Global Basketball
(Apr 8, 2008, 8:24 pm)rikhardur Wrote: I actually think the opposite. Yao Ming could never be an overrated player. Think of players with similar height and what they did in the world of basketball. I can't think of many really (just a few actually). Height is often more of a problem than an advantage when it comes to players as tall as he. Still he developed skills, a soft touch, he's mobile and runs the floor well. Now if you had mentioned Shaquille I would have agreed with you about the height (and power) thing

Yeah i agree that he has developed his skills well and yeah he is a good player, but surely with his size he could get a lot easier shots than a fade away baseline shot. I think with his size and skill level he could do so much more in the league than he does already. If he attacks the rim, other players, not just big men, will try to block his shot, and he would get to the line most of the time for FT's, which he is good at. Also if he didn't pull up all the time he wouldn't get blocked by Nate Robinson Laugh
Overrated-

Shawn Marion- A total product of the PHX system, cannot create his own shot and is an absolute stat whore as well. You ever closely watch Marion playing you'll notice he grabs the easy rebounds away from his own guys.e.g free throws.

Michael Redd- Great scorer, just not a superstar. Cant actually do anything else. The thing is, it seems to be his mindset to SCORE, SCORE, SCORE as he came into the NBA lauded for this defensive skills.

Not a franchise player.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Who is a better player - Kevin Durant or LeBron James? TalkBasket 0 152 Nov 22, 2023, 3:14 pm
Last Post: TalkBasket
  5-on-5: LeBron's ranking, overrated stars and the biggest surprises ESPN NBA 0 293 Sep 27, 2021, 8:12 pm
Last Post: ESPN NBA
  The Bucks reminded the Suns they have the best player in the NBA Finals ESPN NBA 0 321 Jul 13, 2021, 7:33 am
  2021 ESPYS: Vote for Best NBA Player ESPN NBA 0 320 Jun 17, 2021, 4:41 pm
  Which player has the early lead in the NBA's MVP race? ESPN NBA 0 535 Feb 12, 2021, 2:13 am