Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Garbajosa leaves the Raptors
It's official, Garba is not a Raptor anymore!

Quote:ESP – Garba, Raptors go separate ways

MADRID (Olympics) – Spain international star Jorge Garbajosa has parted ways with the Toronto Raptors.

The veteran, who missed nearly the entire season following surgery on his angle and leg, was recently named in Spain’s Olympic squad.

"I will not complete my year left in Toronto,” Garbajosa said.

“Now I will have to see what I do in the future. I have not considered anything because I've just signed my departure from Toronto.

“In the next 48 hours, I could receive offers from the NBA although I have not thought about anything."

Garbajosa did not say in the statement by the Spanish Basketball Federation if he had agreed a buyout with Toronto, but he did add: "This is a joint decision for various reasons.

“The most important of all, is that it was the best for all parties involved."

Garbajosa can now focus firmly on helping Spain try to follow up their world title and EuroBasket silver with another podium finish.

"The doctors are happy with how I'm feeling,” Garbajosa said. “(New Spain coach) Aito has spoken to me several times and he is interested in my situation. Aito is a great coach."

Spain Basketball Federation president Jose Luis Saez spoke of his happiness that Garbajosa is back to good health.

"Jorge is perfectly recovered from his injury and this for us is the best news,” he said.

“That is why we are really happy. To be able to have Jorge with us is gratifying because he is a player that has given everything to the national team and he wants to continue to give it.”

Garbajosa was advised by Toronto last year not to play at the EuroBasket but the basketball federation secured an insurance policy on the eve of the tournament which allowed the power forward/center to take part in the tournament with Spain.

“A player who says that since he was a child his only team has been the national team he deserves that the national team gives everything for him," Saez said.

[url="http://www.fiba.com/pages/eng/fc/news/lateNews/p/newsid/25860/arti.html"]http://www.fiba.com/pages/eng/fc/news/late...25860/arti.html[/url]
Die Liebe wird eine Krankheit, wenn man sie als eine Heilung sieht.
: BASKET-SPOT : - Global Basketball
At last! Shall we welcome him back to Europe?

I think Real Madrid, Malaga and Barcelona will all go for him...
Respect and thanks for everything:

Alvertis, Bodiroga, Jasikevicius, Radja, Wilkins, Vrankovic, Fotsis, Rebraca, Kattash, Gentile, Koch, Middleton, Kutluay, Rogers, Papadopoulos, Becirovic, Tomasevic, Siskauskas, Pekovic, Lakovic, Vujanic, Chatzivrettas, Maljkovic, Spanoulis and many more to follow in the near future.
[Image: vspa.jpg]

Real Madrid is the best team to ever live Internationally. I'm Spanish so yeah.. hah
[Image: aug282007_kobe.jpg]
Great news. That's an example of what a player should do for his national team. I have a hope that in several years there will some global rules by FIBA to ensure that the best players are not skipping their national teams for ridicilous reasons.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Canada gives OK for Raptors to play in Toronto ESPN NBA 0 286 Sep 13, 2021, 8:34 pm
Last Post: ESPN NBA
  Sources: Raptors, Trent agree to 3-year, $54M deal ESPN NBA 0 317 Aug 3, 2021, 9:47 am
  Toronto Raptors' star Kyle Lowry receives honorary degree from Acadia University ESPN NBA 0 271 Jul 15, 2021, 8:18 am
  Raptors fan joins Naismith Basketball Hall of Fame ESPN NBA 0 366 May 22, 2021, 7:32 am
  Raptors to call Tampa home to open NBA season ESPN NBA 0 608 Nov 22, 2020, 6:19 am