Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Which NBA teams do EL teams correlate to?
Confusing thread title i know, i know. I saw this on another forum and i thought it was a fun idea to play with. Everything will be made clear once i post my list, so here goes:

Barcelona = Boston -the lately great team and contender, which had a history of winning tittles, dipped for a few years but is now back on track.

Panathinaikos = San Antonio Spurs - contenders every year, they also win the Euroleague title every leap year, just like SAS lol. They won one in 2000,2002,2007,2009, they are always contenders, and don't change their core much. Both have legend coaches.

Real Madrid = Denver - A good team, but not exactly a contender

Olympiacos = Dallas - Rich owner spends a boatload of money, they always say they will do excellent next year, but it never works out as it plans. They are a contender though, but there is always something missing and they choke in the end.

CSKA Moscow = LA Lakers - Played the finals numerous times, lots of history, and the most consistent candidate for the finals for the last few years.

Maccabi = Utah Jazz i suppose they are a very good team, but not exactly a top 4 team, just out of the top 4. They were the Lakers of the first part of the decade though, where they won back to back titles.

Partizan Belgrade = Oklahoma City Thunder - a young and promising team you just love to root for. They do however lose their best players every single year, to bigger richer teams, but miraculously rebuild really well.

Caja Laboral(baskonia)= Phx Suns - fun to watch, always close to the top, but always something missing, bad defense.

Cibona Zagreb = Chicago Bulls - Once a dominant force, collecting titles, with one of the greatest of all time playing for them, now a good young team, but mid level.

Montepaschi Siena = Orlando Magic - A great defensive team, which is also a contender (somewhat) but nobody mentions as having a real chance at winning it.

Efes Pilsen = NY Knicks - They spend a lot of money, and it never gets them anywhere. There fens are ultra cocky every year is gonna be their comeback but it never is.

Unicaja = LA Clippers - The laughing stock, always a nice team, but always injuries, swings in playing quality... You can always bet on them to lose.

OK these are the ones i got. What do you think? Any other ideas? Feel free to post your own list, and add the teams i did not addSmile
Panathinaikos - Boston Celtics: Both green, with clovers and Irish influenced. Very successful, sign great players. Have had common players like Radja, Vrankovic and Domonique Wilkins.

CSKA Moscow - Chicago Bulls: Both great franchises with great history. But both on the downfall lately. They both became great teams under great coaches.

Prokom - LA Clippers: Both suck and don't really deserve to play in the elite competitions they do.

Unicaja Malaga - NJ Nets: Can do great or can suck with the same ease.

I will think of more later.
Respect and thanks for everything:

Alvertis, Bodiroga, Jasikevicius, Radja, Wilkins, Vrankovic, Fotsis, Rebraca, Kattash, Gentile, Koch, Middleton, Kutluay, Rogers, Papadopoulos, Becirovic, Tomasevic, Siskauskas, Pekovic, Lakovic, Vujanic, Chatzivrettas, Maljkovic, Spanoulis and many more to follow in the near future.
[Image: vspa.jpg]

Lietuvos Rytas - Oklahoma thunder. Both teams changed their former names (Statyba/SuperSonics) and opened new page of history. Both seem to stick to young players and both have ambitions.

Žalgiris - I hate to say, but NY Knicks. Both used to be powerhouses in some sort of past and sadly both were known as having horrible management staff last decade (specially in the second half). But hopefully both might be going to the right direction currently.
(Nov 11, 2010, 5:22 pm)Fantastic Freak Wrote: Partizan Belgrade = Oklahoma City Thunder[/b] - a young and promising team you just love to root for. They do however lose their best players every single year, to bigger richer teams, but miraculously rebuild really well.

Partizan have history,Oklahoma City Thunder don't.

Khimki Moscow = Sacramento Kings - Problem with attendance.And bad clubs.
[Image: 26637_navijanjeee409_blic_markodjurica_f.jpg]
(Nov 11, 2010, 6:20 pm)stefans Wrote: Partizan have history,Oklahoma City Thunder don't.

Khimki Moscow = Sacramento Kings - Problem with attendance.And bad clubs.

Thunder has history as Sonics. And what it means a bad club? Khimki had a good last season and Kings used to be a good team with Bibby, Divac, Webber and Peja. Hell, they even looked pretty well when T. Edney rocked the stage in 95-96.
(Nov 11, 2010, 6:26 pm)straight forward Wrote: Žalgiris - I hate to say, but NY Knicks. Both used to be powerhouses in some sort of past and sadly both were known as having horrible management staff last decade (specially in the second half). But hopefully both might be going to the right direction currently.

Not to mention that all people want to live in NY and Kaunas Tongue
Respect and thanks for everything:

Alvertis, Bodiroga, Jasikevicius, Radja, Wilkins, Vrankovic, Fotsis, Rebraca, Kattash, Gentile, Koch, Middleton, Kutluay, Rogers, Papadopoulos, Becirovic, Tomasevic, Siskauskas, Pekovic, Lakovic, Vujanic, Chatzivrettas, Maljkovic, Spanoulis and many more to follow in the near future.
[Image: vspa.jpg]

(Nov 11, 2010, 7:42 pm)Black Urum Wrote: Not to mention that all people want to live in NY and Kaunas Tongue

You must be joking! Who would want to live in dirty and overcrowded NY? You right about Kaunas though Smile
To me it would be something like..........

CSKA = Spurs

Baskonia = Magic

Maccabi = Mavs

Siena = Hornets

Fener = Bucks

Efes = Blazers

PAO = Jazz

Olympiacos = Heat

Real = Nuggets

Barca = Lakers

Malaga = Suns

etc......
@panathinakos: I'm very curious how you got to maccabi-mavs? I mean those are two opposites as much as I can tell. I mean mavs are losers, maccabi has won 3 championships only in the last 10 years,mavs are big spenders, maccabi is far from the richest teams...

The team I can find most similar to maccabi would be the spurs (maybe that's because I love both teams Biggrin) never the richest, built smartly and quietly, foreign players are dominant, 3 championships last decade, dominant big man that was one of the best and stayed for years (vujcic-duncan)
(Nov 13, 2010, 10:38 am)MaccabiTA Wrote: @panathinakos: I'm very curious how you got to maccabi-mavs? I mean those are two opposites as much as I can tell. I mean mavs are losers, maccabi has won 3 championships only in the last 10 years,mavs are big spenders, maccabi is far from the richest teams...

The team I can find most similar to maccabi would be the spurs (maybe that's because I love both teams Biggrin) never the richest, built smartly and quietly, foreign players are dominant, 3 championships last decade, dominant big man that was one of the best and stayed for years (vujcic-duncan)

The question I believe, as it was intended to mean, was which team are they most similar to, not which team are they most historically comparable to. In the current time, I would say Maccabi is closest to the Mavs.
(Nov 11, 2010, 5:22 pm)Fantastic Freak Wrote: Confusing thread title i know, i know. I saw this on another forum and i thought it was a fun idea to play with. Everything will be made clear once i post my list, so here goes:

Barcelona = Boston -the lately great team and contender, which had a history of winning tittles, dipped for a few years but is now back on track.

Panathinaikos = San Antonio Spurs - contenders every year, they also win the Euroleague title every leap year, just like SAS lol. They won one in 2000,2002,2007,2009, they are always contenders, and don't change their core much. Both have legend coaches.

Real Madrid = Denver - A good team, but not exactly a contender

Olympiacos = Dallas - Rich owner spends a boatload of money, they always say they will do excellent next year, but it never works out as it plans. They are a contender though, but there is always something missing and they choke in the end.

CSKA Moscow = LA Lakers - Played the finals numerous times, lots of history, and the most consistent candidate for the finals for the last few years.

Maccabi = Utah Jazz i suppose they are a very good team, but not exactly a top 4 team, just out of the top 4. They were the Lakers of the first part of the decade though, where they won back to back titles.

Partizan Belgrade = Oklahoma City Thunder - a young and promising team you just love to root for. They do however lose their best players every single year, to bigger richer teams, but miraculously rebuild really well.

Caja Laboral(baskonia)= Phx Suns - fun to watch, always close to the top, but always something missing, bad defense.

Cibona Zagreb = Chicago Bulls - Once a dominant force, collecting titles, with one of the greatest of all time playing for them, now a good young team, but mid level.

Montepaschi Siena = Orlando Magic - A great defensive team, which is also a contender (somewhat) but nobody mentions as having a real chance at winning it.

Efes Pilsen = NY Knicks - They spend a lot of money, and it never gets them anywhere. There fens are ultra cocky every year is gonna be their comeback but it never is.

Unicaja = LA Clippers - The laughing stock, always a nice team, but always injuries, swings in playing quality... You can always bet on them to lose.

OK these are the ones i got. What do you think? Any other ideas? Feel free to post your own list, and add the teams i did not addSmile

I really like Montepaschi, Real and Olympiacos. I agree with Black Urum that Pao are a better comparison to Boston than Barcelona. I'd say Barcelona are like the Lakers the last few years: a dominant force and title favorite with a loaded roster and a superb scorer (Navarro/Kobe) to lead them.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  More EuroLeague teams open training camps EuroLeague News 0 314 Aug 26, 2021, 6:18 am
Last Post: EuroLeague News
  This Week: Mid-table teams seek momentum EuroLeague News 0 605 Dec 19, 2020, 5:05 am
  Two All-Decade Teams add up to one great century EuroLeague News 0 776 May 27, 2020, 8:31 am
  Stats Review: Transition teams, efficient scorers EuroLeague News 0 886 Nov 9, 2019, 12:37 pm
  Stats Review: Final Four teams vs. each other EuroLeague News 0 799 May 16, 2019, 10:47 am