TalkBasket.net Basketball Forums

Full Version: Panathinaikos 2010/11
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Everything is in motion to keep Panathinaikos an elite team of European basketball.

Of course everything starts and finished with Obradovic who will stay until summer of 2012, at least, a record of 13 years in a row, especially in Greece where coaches are changed like that for nothing.

In the next few hours there will be an announcement regarding the renewal of Diamantides' contract, as hierarchy dictates.

After that and if all goes well the deal which will keep Spanoulis at OAKA for the next three years will be announced too.

Then Batiste and Nicholas will be called to discuss their future. There is no point to even question Batiste's intentions after seven years, he will definitely stay around. Nicholas also wishes to stay.

The last and most complicated case will be that of Jasikevicius. He wants to stay for many reasons, but Panathinaikos is not willing to offer him the money they paid him this past season. And although Saras is willing to drop his demands he is not willing to go below the 1m line, which he considers a matter of pride. Panathinaikos after keeping DD, V-Span and having the next generation duo of Calathes and Verginis can live without Saras.

Where things are tough is the frontline. Pekovic has yet to decide for his future while Tsartsaris' contract expires so 1-2 players will be needed for sure.
[quote name='Black Urum' date='14 June 2010 - 01:12 PM' timestamp='1276510331' post='22052']In the next few hours there will be an announcement regarding the renewal of Diamantides' contract, as hierarchy dictates. [/quote]

Promised and done.

[url="http://www.talkbasket.net/news/pao-keeps-its-captain-diamantidis-3109.html"]PAO keeps its captain Diamantidis[/url]
What about new signings? Any big names coming to PAO for the next season?
[quote name='Vilius' date='14 June 2010 - 07:39 PM' timestamp='1276537140' post='22105']

[/quote]

As I understand it they want a new starting SF. They want to move Perperoglou to be the backup at SF and to use Tepic as a shooting guard. They also might go for a new PF. But definitely they want a new starting SF. The names I have heard rumored are Boki Nachbar, Rudy Fernandez, Ramunas Siskauskas.

Personally, I think they should have kept Kecman in the first place.
[quote name='Vilius' date='14 June 2010 - 08:39 PM' timestamp='1276537140' post='22105']

[/quote]

There is not much money to go around this summer. At best case they will use the money either from Pekovic 1m buy-out or a max 500K euros for a Maric type of player.

Other than that, only a free agent, like Sato.
sato would be a perfect fit. i bet my ass that they will go after him once all current players renew
[quote name='suricata' date='14 June 2010 - 08:38 PM' timestamp='1276540683' post='22116']

sato would be a perfect fit. i bet my ass that they will go after him once all current players renew

[/quote]

Sato is a good player but he's too small. Every year in the later phases of Euroleague he gets over matched on both ends of the floor because he is too small. He's a good player, but not up to the standard of PAO. It would be a mistake signing for me.

I would rather they go after someone like Vasileiadis.
[quote name='Black Urum' date='14 June 2010 - 08:16 PM' timestamp='1276539406' post='22110']

There is not much money to go around this summer. At best case they will use the money either from Pekovic 1m buy-out or a max 500K euros for a Maric type of player.

Other than that, only a free agent, like Sato.

[/quote]

Will Partizan be willing to move Maric?
[quote name='Panathinaikos' date='15 June 2010 - 03:38 AM' timestamp='1276562299' post='22141']

Will Partizan be willing to move Maric?

[/quote]

Partizan can not afford to reject offer of 400-500K euros for a player. It's like 20% of their season budget.

Players like Vasileiades have no place in Panathinaikos. Too weak both physically and mentally and no will to play decent D.

He couldn't make it in Olympiacosand Unicaja, so how could he make in Panathinaikos, which is one class above.
[quote name='Panathinaikos' date='15 June 2010 - 03:37 AM' timestamp='1276562260' post='22140']

Sato is a good player but he's too small. Every year in the later phases of Euroleague he gets over matched on both ends of the floor because he is too small. He's a good player, but not up to the standard of PAO. It would be a mistake signing for me.

I would rather they go after someone like Vasileiadis.

[/quote]

i disagree about vasileiadis. He's a rhythm player and needs consistently many minutes in order to perform. Don't get me wrong i think he's an amazing player, but he won't get more than 15' in pao and that's not enough for him. i don't wanna see his career ruined. he needs to be in a team where he will get 25-30'.

Sato is 1.95, maybe a bit small for sf, but obradovic plays a lot of small lineups so i think he will be ok. In any case there are only 2-3 decent sf's in the market this season. i think we all know them
[quote name='suricata' date='15 June 2010 - 12:17 PM' timestamp='1276597056' post='22156']

i disagree about vasileiadis. He's a rhythm player and needs consistently many minutes in order to perform. Don't get me wrong i think he's an amazing player, but he won't get more than 15' in pao and that's not enough for him. i don't wanna see his career ruined. he needs to be in a team where he will get 25-30'.

Sato is 1.95, maybe a bit small for sf, but obradovic plays a lot of small lineups so i think he will be ok. In any case there are only 2-3 decent sf's in the market this season. i think we all know them

[/quote]

Sato isn't up to PAO's standards. I've watched him closely every year in the Euroleague. He will disappear in an important game totally.

[quote name='Black Urum' date='15 June 2010 - 09:48 AM' timestamp='1276588124' post='22147']

Partizan can not afford to reject offer of 400-500K euros for a player. It's like 20% of their season budget.

Players like Vasileiades have no place in Panathinaikos. Too weak both physically and mentally and no will to play decent D.

He couldn't make it in Olympiacosand Unicaja, so how could he make in Panathinaikos, which is one class above.

[/quote]

Vasileiadis is the best SF Greece has by far. And he is a lot better than plenty of players in the current rotation of Panathinaikos.
[quote name='Panathinaikos' date='16 June 2010 - 03:05 AM' timestamp='1276646746' post='22290']

Vasileiadis is the best SF Greece has by far. And he is a lot better than plenty of players in the current rotation of Panathinaikos.

[/quote]

Well, Panathinaikos is not Greece NT. Being the best Greek in a position is not enough to play for Panathinaikos, that is why Panathinaikos signs foreign players too. And damn good ones.
I know that Saras and Pao have an option, but untill when?
[quote name='Roy M' date='16 June 2010 - 01:49 PM' timestamp='1276685363' post='22312']

I know that Saras and Pao have an option, but untill when?

[/quote]

If nothing happens until June 20th, the contract will be automatically renewed. But PAO wants it to be done with less money, Saras is willing to accept a reduce, but not a big one. So PAO might break the contract before June 20th for typical reasons to continue negotiating.
[quote name='Black Urum' date='16 June 2010 - 03:05 PM' timestamp='1276686312' post='22314']

If nothing happens until June 20th, the contract will be automatically renewed. But PAO wants it to be done with less money, Saras is willing to accept a reduce, but not a big one. So PAO might break the contract before June 20th for typical reasons to continue negotiating.

[/quote]

If I understand you, Saras can leave Pao untill Sunday, and from the 20th, if it won't be ather decision, He'll stay in Green?
[quote name='Roy M' date='16 June 2010 - 02:11 PM' timestamp='1276686679' post='22316']

If I understand you, Saras can leave Pao untill Sunday, and from the 20th, if it won't be ather decision, He'll stay in Green?

[/quote]

No, Saras can't do anything but wait. Only PAO has the choice. Possible scenarios:

1. Nothing happens till Sunday, contract automatically gets renewed.

2. They reach an agreement by Sunday and new reduced contract is agreed.

3. PAO breaks Saras contract on Sunday and then Saras can leave or negotiate more with PAO.

Everything in PAO works in hierarchy, so until Spanoulis situation isn't cleared up, no other decisions will be taken.
[quote name='Black Urum' date='16 June 2010 - 11:05 AM' timestamp='1276679114' post='22295']

Well, Panathinaikos is not Greece NT. Being the best Greek in a position is not enough to play for Panathinaikos, that is why Panathinaikos signs foreign players too. And damn good ones.

[/quote]

Of course if someone like Siska is available. But unless it is someone like that then Vasileiadis is the SF they should target over guys like Sato IMO.

BTW, (this is just from an inside source so don't jump all over me please) but it is going around with the agents in Europe that Spanoulis is well on his way to play in the NBA next year with the Philadelphia 76ers unless his demands are met by one of the two Greek clubs. His demands are both top level range European salary and first priority in the club, which seems to be a sticking point with PAO. The 76ers are said to be making an extremely hard push to sign him.

Also it is going around with the agents that Pekovic does not really care if he plays in the NBA as much as is being said unless he can get more money than what he was initially offered there. His agent is pushing him to NBA teams and apparently there are a lot of NBA teams that are very interested in him, but the money might not be enough. If he gets a money deal he likes from an NBA team he will leave. If not he would stay one more year in PAO and then leave to the NBA the next season.

So it seems PAO has a lot of competition for keeping the two of them.
[quote name='suricata' date='01 July 2010 - 09:30 PM' timestamp='1278012631' post='23430']

Mavroidis to Bilbao. Probably also Vassiliadis. Batiste having way better offers than that of pao. Pekovic to the NBA. It looks like a grim summer for pana. And Obradovic only has a verbal agreement so far

[/quote]

To be honest PAO deserves this. The nephew is a horrible jerk and treats the players like crap (especially he was particulary horrible to Spanoulis). Obradovic has been playing favorites even if they did not play well. For example Diamantidis and Tsartsaris getting playing time many times when they did not even perform a little bit.

The management of the club with this whole "cast system" and "hierarchy' in PAO. Alvertis and Diamantidis worshipped, all the green media worshipping them, the team worshipping them, the fans worshipping them.......when to be honest they are both among the most overrated players in the history of Europe along with Rubio.

And the fans.........the fans have a very ungrateful and rude way that they treat the players. Alvertis = god, Diamantidis = god, Batiste = nearly god........while Spanoulis is despised, hated, blamed for everything, made fun of, mocked and many of the other players are treated unfairly based on how they perform.

Too much praise by the fans on Saras based on he hardly did anything noteworthy in 3 years (just the final fiur semi against Olympiacos), too much praise on Tsartsaris who is always injured and contributes next to nothing, while guys like Fotsis are ripped on endlessly and always being criticised.

PAO has the absolute worst fan base IMO and the owners and coach do not help it at all by promoting this whole cast system and hiererachy. Especially since it is not even based on how good the players are. For example Spanoulis is clearly the best player PAO has and he's considered like a joke among 90% of the fans, while Diamantidis is considered diety, even though Diamantidis is not a lead level player and never will be.

And let's face it, Obradovic isn't that great of a coach. he gets all this praise and has the best track record, but that track record was built mainly on Bodiroga, Siskauskas, Spanoulis.....those three players carried teams on their backs to championships. In 2008 and 2010 in fact Obradovic's coaching was very poor and he deserved to be fired both years.

In all honesty, as a PAO fan I would be perfectly fine if they break the team up right now and start over. Including moving Obradovic out. But the big problem is this insistence on building the team around Diamantidis, paying him the most, making everything thing revolve around him, etc. It's why Siska left and it's why Spanoulis will probably leave.

It really makes no sense at all. PAO's stupidity in these matters is really pathetic. Like for an NBA comparison Alverts = Robert Horry, but PAO's team and fans equate him to Michael Jordan. The whole general attitude of the team management, owners, and fans is extremely juvenile, immature, stupid, and pathetic. When a team has that much success, you cannot just give all the praise to one or two guys (especially if they are mere role players in the success) and then give a lot of hate on guys that actually were the leaders.

But that is the culture that exists in PAO for some reason. Because of this nonsense, they really do need to change the team. But the problem is this stupid thing PAO and the fans do in worshiping some players and hating others.
[quote name='Roy M' date='01 July 2010 - 10:10 PM' timestamp='1278015004' post='23437']

No matter... but without coach, it's hard to sign Saras....

[/quote]

Well if PAO was smart they would let overpaid and overrated Obradovic go and they would take Bartzokas. Bartzokas will cost much less and he's also a better coach. But ultimately, I am sure they will keep Obradovic. It's all part of that strange and weird hierarchy system that PAO uses. Unless Obradovic is also mad at the owners telling him Diamantidis is more important than he is.

Anyway, I guess it is better if Bartzokas stays off of PAO because otherwise he won't be allowed to coach Greece's national team, which is a job he should have.
PAO's backourt seems to be short, specially having in mind the weight of the club. I really wouldn't put my money on Tepič and Calathis this season.
Pages: 1 2 3 4