TalkBasket.net Basketball Forums

Full Version: European prospects
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Let's dedicate this thread to top European prospects from all over Europe.

Via [url="http://www.fibaeurope.com/coid_Qrw0IsqVH4AwpxUE6DwHQ0.articleMode_on.html"]FIBA Europe[/url]

Quote:Neumann leads next generation in Germany

Dirk Nowitzki is probably as close to irreplaceable as you could ever get at National Team level for any country anywhere in the World. Filling his oversized shoes in the future is an unenviable task and indeed one that is odds-on never to be fulfilled- or at least in the way that German basketball fans would hope for.

In reality, it is probably the cream of the current crop of German youngsters rather than any one individual who now hold the key to ensuring Germany continue to compete at major championships in years to come.

Putting aside the wider debate of those who feel there are too many imported players in the German league, one player hoping for a big opportunity in the next couple of seasons (and perhaps a major reason to start trusting home-grown players a little more) is rising star Philipp Neumann.

He is already being touted as one of the next big things in German basketball - even though he has yet to earn any real court time in the Beko Basketball Bundesliga with Brose Baskets Bamberg.

Last summer he was unstoppable in Metz for the U18 European Championships when he posted some sensational individual numbers - a tournament double-double in fact. He then spent last season playing in the second tier of German basketball with TSV Breitengüßbach, before reminding us all of his talent in no uncertain terms with his stellar performances at the Albert Schweitzer in Mannheim this year.

Neumann was crowned the best center in the tournament but couldn't help Germany to the Gold Medal and has admitted that despite picking up his personal accolade, the loss to Australia still rankles and now he is looking forward to heading to Vilnius this summer for another crack at an U18 European Championships gold medal.

"Yes, the Albert Schweitzer was, I think, the best tournament for me after the European championships last year."

"I'm still sad about ‘just' getting silver but I guess that's the life of a sportsman."

"The Award does not influence the way I am thinking about this summer or next season. This is because you have to improve yourself every game!"

"I think we have a much better team this summer and we also learned how to play better as a team."

"Last summer in Metz it was a very nice summer because my team-mates were very nice to each other and it was fun. This summer, we will have the same."

While named as best center in Mannheim, the young star has already shown his versatility and is hoping to establish his future career in the power forward spot and is working hard to reach his dream of playing regular court-time with Brose.

"I have to get more muscular but I am practicing hard to get even stronger and my goal is to be a 4 spot player."

"I'm going to just practice the hell out of myself to be in the team of Brose and to play some minutes."

As one of the most exciting prospects in European basketball, Neumann is one of the current players scrutinised in detail by those with a watching brief on young talents. One of those tracking the progress of the player with real interest is Eurohopes.com and they are acutely aware of the expectation on his young shoulders. They also feel Neumann has plenty of potential and a range of strengths although there are still areas for some improvement.

They explained, "German fans are looking for the next Dirk Nowitzki. Maybe Robin Benzing? Maybe not. Maybe Philipp Neumann? Maybe not. Neumann is not a kind of player like the current Mavs forward, but the search of a new German icon puts pressure over him."

"For his size he is really quick, playing very smart and attacking his defender from the high post. He is excellent at dribbling for his height."

"He doesn't seem athletic, but plays with much energy penetrating and attacking the offensive rebounds. He needs to improve his game in the low post and is not scared to shoot from behind the arc."

While many positives, there is still plenty of work to do for both the player himself and for those at Brose looking to harness his passion and appetite for the game to deliver some tangible outcomes at the pro-level from the promise he has shown thus far.

Neumann will possibly be one of a number of players all competing for a place in the German frontcourt during the next five to ten years meaning it is a case of forgetting trying to find another marquee player like Nowitzki.

That could just be a winning formula and Neumann is adamant he has the desire and work ethic to make it happen but for now is taking one step at a time and this means simply making it as a professional.

"Yes, I want to fill in of these spots the people wish for! I'm practicing hard for this. Basketball means everything for me and it's my dream to get to become a very good Basketball Pro - it's my dream."

The next step in reaching that dream will be some big performances for his country in Lithuania this summer with the U18 team who begin their preparations later this week.
Via [url="http://www.talkbasket.net/news/aguilar-pulls-out-of-the-draft-3118.html"]TalkBasket[/url]

Quote:Aguilar pulls out of the Draft

One of the most promising Spanish youngsters, Pablo Aguilar, decided to withdraw his participation from the NBA Draft 2010 following the example of many other Europeans so far like Donatas Motiejunas, Mindaugas Kuzminskas and Robin Benzing.

The Granada player is currently in the United States, training with various franchises in order to weigh his chances at the and obviously decided that this year is not the right time for him.

The 203cm-tall forward averaged 9.4 points and 5.1 rebounds in last year's edition of the ACB with Granada.
Via [url="http://www.fibaeurope.com/coid_LrQ-sS2yI7YoxS,uwSn5y0.articleMode_on.container_frontpage.html"]FIBA Europe[/url]

[size="4"]Kyryl Natyazhko[/size]

Quote:Kyryl Natyazhko is evidence that watching a U16 European Championship is like looking at a crystal ball and seeing the stars of tomorrow.

Remember 2006, when Ukraine took part in the event that was staged in Spain?

Ricky Rubio, the Spain senior team's starting point guard now, was the MVP of that tournament after firing his country to the gold medal.

Less heralded but certainly no less important was the presence of Natyazhko, who averaged 11.8 points and 12.5 rebounds.

As the saying goes, a star was born.

Four years later and Natyazhko is preparing to lace 'em up for Ukraine again, only this time at the U20 European Championship.

Coming off a solid freshman season at Arizona, there is so much all-round quality and potential in Natyazhko's game that he's being mentioned as an NBA draft pick in the not-too-distant future.

Oleksiy Naumov spoke to Natyazhko.

Kyryl, tell us about what's been going on in your life after you went off the radar several years ago. You'd played for the Ukraine U16 team and it's now good to see you back for the U20 level.

Natyazhko: In November 2007 I got an offer to continue my high school education at IMG Academy, Florida. At the time my parents really wanted me to get a US high school diploma with the possibility of entering a US college as well as get a classic US basketball education.

Tell us about your basketball experience in high school.

Well, the school I went to was more focused on developing individual player talent, so we didn't even participate in the national championship. Instead we played in numerous smaller tournaments from November until March, which was about 40 games and after that we had AAU in the summer. The level of the games was very high and we even had the opportunities to practice with some NBA players. I made it to an All Star game which helped me get on the radar to some college scouts and eventually I was offered a scholarship at Arizona.

At IMG academy we had a coach that worked with us individually, who taught me how to play defense, how to play the post game with proper footwork. They even focus on such things as knowing the angle of the shot for determining the most probable rebounding spots and getting into position there. Eventually this calculation happens in your mind automatically and you just hustle to the right spot fighting for a second chance for yourself or for your teammate.

The University of Arizona is an NCAA Division One school. Tell us about your freshman year.

There are a lot of various conferences in this division. Ours is called the Pac-10. It is also called the NBA conference because many, many players from there make it to the NBA each year. Each conference has its own style. The Big East, for example, is more physical basketball. Ours is more individual skill as well as teamwork.

Are you carrying on your individual work at the university?

Absolutely and even at a much higher level. We have five coaches - the head coach, a coach who plays with us during the practices, and one coach for each of the three positions. We spend about three hours a week for the individual work with the coach.

How much playing time did you have and are you planning to spend all four years in college?

Well, my mom really wants me to graduate from college there and I'd love to do the same, but in case I have an offer from the NBA or a good offer from Europe, I will discuss this with my parents and will try to make the best decision. Last season we had five freshmen and we all didn't play much. I averaged about 15 minutes per game and this is a common thing as the coach trusts the experienced players more. My goal for the season was to get stronger physically to improve and make my inside game more effective.

Let's switch gears now to the national team. What does playing for Ukraine mean to you?

I've always wanted to play for the national team and I even got in contact with the coach through my friend, Vladislav Kondratiev, who also goes to a US college and who lives in the same city with Volodymyr Poliakh in Ukraine. I said I was ready to help the team and here I am now. It's great to be here and play with the guys I'd been growing up with and practiced with before I left the country. Also playing for the national team gives me a chance to stay in shape during the summer while we are off from the university.

Did the Arizona coach have any recommendations for you, is he going to follow you in Croatia? Do you think this will be a good chance for you to show yourself to the numerous scouts that will definitely be watching the games?

This is a good chance, yes. I can't say that if I do poorly it's going to put an end to my career or if I do well it's going to bring huge contracts. It's just a personal challenge to do the best I can and help the team get the highest spot possible. I am already used to NBA scouts. We have 10 to 15 of them during each of our college games. As for the coach - yes. He said he was going to visit one or two of my games depending on the restrictions that NCAA sets.

You are heading to the States straight from Croatia after the U20 European Championship. Such a short vacation?

Yes. It's even shorter in fact, just a month, but because I'd been away from home for so long, I was allowed to have a bit more time off. We have a summer school where you can take one class but this opens you the doors to the athletic gym where you can work with a trainer as well as the basketball court where I will continue my individual work with a coach - mainly on getting physically stronger but also on smoothening up my skills.

It's great to see that you've set yourself some clear goals and are now doing everything possible to achieve them. Good luck with that! What advice can you give to the young players that might be facing some life-changing decisions?

I'd like to tell them to listen to their coach, listen to people that are trying to help, but ultimately make the best decision possible. This is what I did when I got to the United States. I always worked hard, worked on my own a lot, took advice but made my own decisions. If your coach tells you not to work out because you are too young, at least do push-ups to get stronger because there's no going out into big basketball without physical strength.