TalkBasket.net Basketball Forums

Full Version: NEW Mediterranean League?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
I for one would like it only as an expansion to the adriatic league. Greece and Italy could be invited first as they do have adriatic shores and later the league could be renamed to mediterranean. In any case the league doesn't make very much sense to me as nearly all clubs would also be participating in the Euroleague as well
(Jan 11, 2011, 2:01 pm)suricata Wrote: [ -> ]I for one would like it only as an expansion to the adriatic league. Greece and Italy could be invited first as they do have adriatic shores and later the league could be renamed to mediterranean. In any case the league doesn't make very much sense to me as nearly all clubs would also be participating in the Euroleague as well

Adriatic League got Serb and Czech teams... last time I checked, they didn't have Mediterranean shores...
Serbia had when it was Serbia and Montenegro Biggrin

Maybe to create two divisions. One will be Adriatic, and the second one would be this league, and then we make something like NBA final games. It would be interesting to watch, but that would just be EL without Spain and Maccabi Biggrin
(Jan 11, 2011, 5:40 pm)Led00 Wrote: [ -> ]Serbia had when it was Serbia and Montenegro Biggrin

Maybe to create two divisions. One will be Adriatic, and the second one would be this league, and then we make something like NBA final games. It would be interesting to watch, but that would just be EL without Spain and Maccabi Biggrin

and cska Crazy
Yeah, and CSKA Biggrin

At the end, more and more clubs would wanna come to the league and we would be getting another FIBA ULEB thing :p
Beginning of the revolution...
At Serbian b92/sport portal, there was an article about Partizan offered official invitation to Mediterranean league... It is very official now.
hmm... i am still sceptical about this. clubs receiving official invitations when the league is not even official?
I think the most difficult part is to convince Turkish teams to join...

The same day that ESAKE had a meeting regarding the Med. League, Fenerbahce and Efes Pilsen had a meeting with the Turkish Basketball Federation (Turkish League is not run independently like ACB or A1...) and the TBF is not willing to allow the Turkish teams of the Med. League to skip the regular season of Turkish League and pla only in play-offs...

Also the head of TBF is a puppet of the ruling Islamic Party, which is not in the best terams (to put it mildly) with Greece, Israel and Cyprus who all will participate in the Med. League...

At best they can skip the Cypriots team for now... but they can't be Med. League without Greece and Israel...

So, we'll see...
Two teams added to the new league... Azovmash (Ukraine) and Red Star (Serbia)

Turkey doesn't want to give Fener, Efes + 1 teams and wants to give 3 non-EL clubs...

Qatari club will be Al-Ryyan and the opening game could be Al Ryyan-Olympiacos.
Two teams ADDED? Does that mean there are already teams that 100% will take place? Is Maccabi one of them?
Yes, Maccabi and another one, probably Hapoel Jerusalem.
And List of the teams that official compete are?
Israeli League is not willing to allow Maccabi to skip the regular season and play only in play-offs.

Also Maccabi president said that such a project could not be organised before 2012/13 season...

In the meantime ULEB is preparing to "re-design" Eurocup as a pre-emptive hit against possible Mediterranean League drawing attention.
(Feb 9, 2011, 1:54 pm)BlackĀ Urum Wrote: [ -> ]Israeli League is not willing to allow Maccabi to skip the regular season and play only in play-offs.

Also Maccabi president said that such a project could not be organised before 2012/13 season...

In the meantime ULEB is preparing to "re-design" Eurocup as a pre-emptive hit against possible Mediterranean League drawing attention.

Kopel (the guy in charge of the Israeli league administration) is a piece of shit it's well known, he's a Maccabi hater and that's not a secret. He told many times before that if the way to creating copetition in the Israeli league means hurting Maccabi and taking unsportive actions, he has no problem with that.

I remember in a game a few months ago he was interviewed in half time, next to Maccabi's fans and when he was asked about the final four and the many voices against it he said the final four will stay here wether they like it or not and smiled to Maccabi fans that later threw papers on him.

BTW this guy is also going to suggest expanding the EuroCup to 64 or 94 teams..

http://www.sport5.co.il/articles.aspx?fo...38&lang=HE
This is a very good thing, IMO, that someone is challenging the big ULEB... If there is a natural competition, things could get more interesting for the poorer clubs (read: Partizan, Zalgiris...)
The thing has gone from talk to action...

Here is GBF President G. Vassilakopoulos with FIBA Asia president and Qatari Sheikh Saud bin Ali Al-Thani

[Image: 4eeee4d4aa78123b981a90b169431780_L.jpg?1...1297538109]

Seems there could be both Qatari and Lebanese teams.
It will be Asian-Euro league. Cool
Lebanon means that Israeli teams are not gonna be there.. Unless they'll make these games in Cyprus too?

BTW u said there was a problem with the Israeli teams because the Israeli league's refusing to allow to join in the playoffs, anything new bout that?
Pages: 1 2 3