TalkBasket.net Basketball Forums

Full Version: Panellinios is Moving To Crete
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Is it true? My friend in Crete told me that Panellinios is moving to Crete to play at Heraklion arena.
If that is true.Then is better(more fans).
I read in sport.gr that they are maybe moving to Lamia. That arena only has 2,600 seats. I don't understand that move. Crete has a much bigger and newer arena.
[quote name='Panathinaikos' timestamp='1284140370' post='24820']

I read in sport.gr that they are maybe moving to Lamia. That arena only has 2,600 seats. I don't understand that move. Crete has a much bigger and newer arena.

[/quote]

So they moved to Lamia. I don't really get it because the arena only seats 2,600. Right now the minimum for Euroleague is 5,000 and for the Eurocup is 2,500, but in 2 years it's going to 10,000 and 5,000. So Panellinios won't be able to compete.
Why the move?
[quote name='ZEUS' timestamp='1284687931' post='25064']

Why the move?

[/quote]

Because the fans in Athens were not supporting the club and because Panellinios amateur club which owns the arena was not letting the senior basketball club get all the arena profits.

Lamia has very good fan support and interest in basketball and the arena, although small at 2,600 is very nice and a lot more modern than the Panellinios arena in Athens.

The Lamia arena might also be expanded to 4,200 to help Panellinios. But that still won't meet the new Eurocup requirements of 5,000 in the next 2 years.
[quote name='Panathinaikos' timestamp='1285264691' post='25159']

Because the fans in Athens were not supporting the club and because Panellinios amateur club which owns the arena was not letting the senior basketball club get all the arena profits.

[/quote]

If that was the reason Panellinios BC should leave Athens decades ago.

It's not a matter of amateur club not letting the professional clubs get all the profits, it's the law which dictates a percentage of tickets income goes to amateur club. It is the same with all professional clubs in Greece.

Also since amateur club owns the arena, they should receive rent form the basketball club, which can certainly afford it.
[quote name='Black Urum' timestamp='1285265385' post='25160']

If that was the reason Panellinios BC should leave Athens decades ago.

It's not a matter of amateur club not letting the professional clubs get all the profits, it's the law which dictates a percentage of tickets income goes to amateur club. It is the same with all professional clubs in Greece.

Also since amateur club owns the arena, they should receive rent form the basketball club, which can certainly afford it.

[/quote]

The owner of the club also purchased the rights to the arena when he bought the club. But he got into all those legal problems because of the land being connected to the city. Therefore the amateur club just decided not to recognize it.

So the owner paid for the arena and was not getting the profits from it.