TalkBasket.net Basketball Forums

Full Version: Euroleague Fantasy Challenge (2010/11)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
NEW Euroleague Fantasy Challenge is back!

Registrations and logins will open soon, but the player market is out!

NEW Players Market Value

Most people are familiar with the competition, but we will be giving tips for any new guys. Also if you got any questions, just ask!
Oh man i found this site, specifically looking for a forum to talk fantasy on.

I have been playing this euroleague fantasy challenge for a few years now, i am really looking forward to the new season!

Ofcourse it is nice to find a place to talk basketball on as well, but fantasy rox more hehe.

So hi to all Laugh
Welcome to the forum Fantastic Freak! It's nice to see more basketball fans from Slovenia on board Thup

Since you are playing euroleague fantasy challenge for several years already, maybe you'll share some tips with fellow TB members? Smile
Last year was the first time I played it and let's just say it didn't go too well Biggrin I could definatly use some tips from more experienced guys on the forum.

And welcome, fantastic freak
Thanks for the warm welcome guys Smile Anyway i am no expert hehe, i just enjoy playing very much. Last year i had my best result i had 2 teams in the top 200. So this year my goal is to reach the top 100 Biggrin

And is it just me or have the prices of good and average players gone up dramatically and illogically? Players that used to be around 40-45 are 55-60 now. And also it seems they didn't pay too much attention to last years scores. Rubio for example is 71 lol, last year he had an average of 10.7 that means he is worth 44, and even if they think he will do better this year, i doubt he will do 27points better. Jeremy Pargo might be a good pick-up, but if Maccabi signs Saras i don't think he will get as many minutes. I had hope that Rakocevic will be cheap this year because of his last season or should i say Ataman, or at least that he will be cheaper, but nop he costs 74 lol. The same goes for Nachbar, both will do much better this year IMO. I still think i'll pick up Nachbar in a team or two. And last year Tepic had an average of 2.3 why the hell does he cost 47? Pocius is 51, i hoped he would be cheaper. Last year he cost me my whole first part of the season, he wasreally cheap something like 10 credits, and i got him in most of my teams, because he played great in friendlies, but then he started the season really porrly, and i had a hard time getting rid of him, because he was so cheap and i could get nothing in return without making at least 2 or 3 moves that would make me worse lol.

Lorbek 75? I love Lorbek, but as a fantasy pick up, and the way he is used in Barca he is not worth that much no way, i really think a spanish person decided these prices, because prices for spanish players, or players playing in spain are crazy.

I hoped Dusko Savanovic would be cheaper he is not, but i will probably get him in a few teams. Eliyahu is cheap as well, he will do good in Maccabi i bet. Bourousis is kinda cheap as well.

Well that was the first thing that poped into my head when i checked the prices. Hope i wasnt to long lol.
Wow this thread gonna be hit of the year! Awesome.

Some points... as FF mentions prices of players got inflated, but I think that's a bad thing for mediocre or unexperienced players of Fantasy, because they will get those players and lose credits, while experienced ones will wait.

More specifically now, as for Pocius I would take him in home games for now, until we see how he does in awya games, cause last season it was like day and night his home and away performance.

For Lorbek, yes, it is a Spanish guy running the fantasy.

MaccabiTA, the most important tip I can give you is to understand the game mechanics when it comes to scoring and value calculation. I will try to explain. It isn't hard.

Player value = average index scoring X 4

The one limitation is that value fluctuation can not exceed 15%, meaning the value of a player can not change more than 15% either towards up or down.

Practical example:

Player "Kalnietis" is worth 50 credits (like in the game now). In the fist game he makes an index score of 15 (I suppose you know what that is, it's like the total evaluation which includes points, rebounds, fouls etc). Hence his average ranking is now 15 (15/1 game)

According to the avg rkg (average ranking) X 4 = value formula his value should now be 60 (15X4)

But here kicks in the limit up/down limitation of 15%. So his price can only be increased by 15%, hence up to 57.5

This is very very important in the first 3-4 gamedays of the fantasy because in the first games the individual performance in a gameday can greatly influence the price of the player.

I can give you more example if you want. Or answer other questions.

There are also some sites, that have all the stats you need, like:

http://www.rincondelmanager.com/fantasy/
http://www.hoopsstats.com/basketball/fan...allplayers

They haven't updated their scores to these year's prices yet, but bookmark them for the future...
Thanks Black Urum, it really helped me understanding the game, I never got the idea of how the prices changed, I really got screwed with that Biggrin so thanks!
Quote:Thanks Black Urum, it really helped me understanding the game, I never got the idea of how the prices changed, I really got screwed with that Biggrin so thanks!

That is very important advice you must really understand the dynamics of how things work. The links BU gave you are gold, but the problem is they usually start working around the 3rd round, so in the start you are on your own.

In the beginning look for the cash cow, there always is onee very year, a player that is very cheap and has a great first game.

Here is a cool link, its the prices of players for last year, i can explane it best here:

http://www.euroleague.net/news/i/58470/180/item

As you can see last year cash cow was D.Lavrinovic his starting price was 42, which means they were expecting him to get a cca. 10 ranking. He got 49 which means he got rose the maximum that week which is 15% to cca 48 credits which comes to an average ranking of 12. But you see this is not all his extremly high ranking means that next week he would be rising the maximum again because he would need to get a ranking of -25 to just have an average of 12 and not rise and not fall in his worth, so that means he would certainly gain a nother max cradit amoun the next week, which brings him to cca 55, so Lavrinovic picking up lavrinovic in the second round just brought you 7 credits, but he is still rising even if he was aweful the second game lets say 0 rating he still has an average of 25, and will be rising even in the 3rd round and so on and so on.

If you get a few players like that, for example Lavrinovic last year, and Maric and FSE and Matt Walsh Je'Kel Foster, last year, or Pekovic and company the year before that, you are sure to get around 50 or 60 extra credits by the 4th round, so that means you have a lot of space to buy the top players, and make your team strong.

At least thats what i think and that is where i screwed up last year, but don't gamble too much like i did with Pocius last year, if the player is really really cheap, like 10 or lower don't bother, unless he is gonna perform that way for the whole seaosn, in which case you should get him just because of the ranking itself Smile
wow thanks for the tips guys..this would be my first time..I hope I can do well Thup
I had a first look on the market...

Sergey Bykov is worth 36 credits. Holden is having some ehart problems so far, so Bykov could be starting PG in the beginning of the season... so might worth a look, with a score of 10 he will max his limit up price.

Martynas Gecevicius at 53 should be a solid pick, he will be starting and probably the go to guy of the team.

Kenny Gregory at 42 might be worth a look, as he will be the first attacking option of Olimpija.

Pietro Aradori at 39, was Lega A top scorer last season I think... so he should put up some good numbers.

Andrey Vorontsevich had a breakthrough WC, and I think he can earn a role in CSKA this season, at 45

Same price with Jankunas who should be one of Zalgiris leaders in scoring, besides being captain.

Reyshawn Terry of Brose Baskets at 43 will be a good pick I reckon.

Gasper Vidmar will see a role upgrade this season after a couple of Fener's big guys left the team. At 40.

Jonas Valanciunas should be starting C of Rytas... 32

Andreas Glyniadakis of Olympiacos could emerge as a good player, if you don't have a lot of credits, 10.
Quote:I had a first look on the market...

Sergey Bykov is worth 36 credits. Holden is having some ehart problems so far, so Bykov could be starting PG in the beginning of the season... so might worth a look, with a score of 10 he will max his limit up price.

Martynas Gecevicius at 53 should be a solid pick, he will be starting and probably the go to guy of the team.

Kenny Gregory at 42 might be worth a look, as he will be the first attacking option of Olimpija.

Pietro Aradori at 39, was Lega A top scorer last season I think... so he should put up some good numbers.

Andrey Vorontsevich had a breakthrough WC, and I think he can earn a role in CSKA this season, at 45

Same price with Jankunas who should be one of Zalgiris leaders in scoring, besides being captain.

Reyshawn Terry of Brose Baskets at 43 will be a good pick I reckon.

Gasper Vidmar will see a role upgrade this season after a couple of Fener's big guys left the team. At 40.

Jonas Valanciunas should be starting C of Rytas... 32

Andreas Glyniadakis of Olympiacos could emerge as a good player, if you don't have a lot of credits, 10.

I don't know about Bykov even if he plays a lot of minutes he still isn't that good to get you the index rating. May be Shved would be a better idea, because Vujosevic is not afraid to play young guys, and in the preparation games he has been very solid also he only costs 17 credits.

Smodis has been playing good in the few prep games, i'm not sure about him yet though, will have to wait a few more games till Vorontsevich comes back, and see how the mins distribute.

Nathan Jawai will probably be a good pickup.

Damir Markota has been the most constant Olimpija player he is worth a look as well.

I think i'll get Morris Finley in a few teams as well, he had a nice start of the season last year.

Bojan Bogdanovic might be worth a pick up, he had a great WC and a strong finish of the season last year.

I dont know Sammy Mejia but his stats from last seasons ULEB cup, were very good.

Robert Archibald is mostly solid as i remember last year he had some injury problems he might be too much of a risk for my taste though.

Jan Jagla had a great tournament for Germany, but in the prep games he has not been as hot.

Thats the first impression i got, didn't bother to check the players i don't know yet, so its a work in progress but it will be very hard to make a team this year IMO.
Registrations and teams opened!
I thought it would be fun if we had a private league for the forum so I opened one, its name is TalkBasket fantasy league the password is 1234 feel free to join, u can also put more than one team in the league, if u want invite ur friends to join the league too. Good luck everybody!
So what do you guys think about this team, i am really happy with it which can only mean it is not good lol:

Bo McCalebb
Roko Ukic
Carlos Suarez
Bogdan Bogdanovic
Fernando San Emeterio
Marty Pocius
Boban Marjanovic
Paulius Jankunas
Damir Markota
Dusko Savanovic
All truth it looks like a very solid squad. I will get down to making my teams tomorrow probably.
Via TalkBasket

Quote:Euroleague Fantasy Challenge is back and tens of millions (maybe I exaggerate a bit) of European basketball fans are taking out their notepads and pencils, their calculators, browse through tons of websites to find stats and boxscores they might find useful, or think they will find useful anyway and Dr. Fantasy could not leave them go through all that alone!

First of all I would like to greet my readers and fans! We had a very interesting first year, in which I think we did well, providing tools and tips to aspiring Euroleague managers who are trying to pick the best ten players possible for their fantasy team(s).

Let me clear some things up. My role will be purely advisory to you. I will analyse and break down the game mechanics, mention some easier ways to gain more points and explain my rationale behind the players I choose. I will not be suggesting players so that you go and buy them, that is entirely up to you.

Also don't be a fool thinking that you got a chance of winning this competition. Like every year a Spanish maths geek with a lot of free time at his hands will win this by creating hundreds of teams, some of which inadvertently will do well, it's just a matter of statistics. And instead of putting a stop to this practice Euroleague actually made it easier for them to cheat, by allowing a v number of teams in just one account, instead of 10 teams per account that was the rule in previous seasons. Then at least the cheaters had to go through the procedure of creating new email accounts to create new teams.

Anyway, we will do our best to help regular and honest players to at least put up a decent fight and enjoy the game.

If you are currently reading this, chances are that you are familiar with how Euroleague Fantasy works, but just in case, and for the noobs out there, we will explain some basic things. The most important thing is to comprehend how the value of players is determined. The mathematic equation is the following:

Player value = average index rating* X 4

* The index rating of players is mentioned in the last column of Euroleague boxscores. Some of you might know it as "efficiency" or "evaluation" etc in other terms. And if you are obnoxious enough to wonder how the index rating (from now on referred to as "IR") is accumulated here is the formula:

Index rating = (PTS + ASS + REB + BLK + STL + FLD + FT1M + FG2M + FG3M - TO - BLKA - FOULS - FT1A - FG2A - FG3A)

Practical example. Mantas Kalnietis is worth 50 credits. To maintain his value he needs to score at least 12.4 IR. To get him a max limit up he needs to score at least 14.5 IR and so on. Obviously the players value will fluctuate more in the first weeks, because the average IR will be more and easily affected by individual week performance by a player.

But let's move on. Another basic thing is to figure out where to invest your credits. You get 500 credits for a ten-men squad. The simplistic logic would be allocating around 50 credits per position (two points guards + four shooting guards/small forwards + four power forwards/centers).

However you might want to reconsider that and invest a substantial chunk of your credit into a specific position (player). I saw position because statistically speaking the power forward/center is the one gaining the most index rating points. Because big guys do not base their performance solely on the points scored, but also on rebounds, won fouls, blocks etc. And since a point and a rebound are worth the same we can see why they perform better. It is easier to grab a rebound than score a point, and it is definitely easier to grab a rebound than hand out an assist (this is why the point guard position is probably the weakest in this game).

Another important rule to keep in mind is that you are only allowed to change three players from week to week. So for example you would think it is a good idea to get many Unicaja players as they will be facing a weak opponent (Charleroi) in the first game, but next week they will be facing Real Madrid away, so they will most likely to underperform. So have a look at the schedule regularly and as in chess look ahead by some moves (gamedays).

Moreover, a basic rule of the game is that players on the winning side get a generous 10% bonus on top of their IR. It doesn't seem much but it could give your teams that extra edge to make it to the elite group of teams. So look for players whose teams are facing easier opponents at that gameday.

Scout your teams! Find and check out the performance of the player(s) you want to get in their domestic competition in the previous weekend. If you think it is difficult and time-consuming, no worries, we will be providing you the boxscores ourselves, like we did last season. Well, maybe not for the upcoming 1st week, because some leagues have not started yet, but once everything starts rolling we will be there.

As last season, we will have our own Private League, the login info is as following:

League name: TalkBasket fantasy league
Password: 1234

Feel free to join. To make competition more fair we will allow unlimited number of teams during the first three weeks, but then you will be able to have just one team in the league. We will keep your best team in the league from that point on, unless you instruct us manually which one you want to keep it.

Let the game begin!
Created 20 teams and joined TB league. After the end of week 3 each user may have only 3 teams in the league.
God damn it! Pete Mickeal won't play tonight and I had him in some of my teams.

On other news Mavrokefalides was great value for money for me. If he maintains 8-9 index per game he will limit up for 5-6 weeks. I also had Suarez in several teams.
FFS i hate Brown why did i ever pick him and whats with all the US players in Prokom fawk knows who they even are they have so many WTF! And also i am pissed Pete wont play. They should allow you to change a player if he is reported injuerd after the changes close. Just with players who haven't played yet, i really don't see the harm in that.
I got a friend who also had Brown in like 80 teams of his. Why in the hell would you pick a player from Prokom is beyond me.

Prokom should be playing in NBDL.
Pages: 1 2