TalkBasket.net Basketball Forums

Full Version: The best Lithuanian coach?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Let's discuss our coaches. Lithuania has obviously one of the best BB schools in the world, but interestingly enough only few coaches had made a good international career. It's Kazlauskas and Sakalauskas first of all. Seems like big clubs is not trusting Lithuanian coaches too much even if Lith NT destroys their national country almost every single summer and Euroleague is filled with quality Lithuanians (Lithuania has the biggest number of Euroleague's members). I think there could be several reasons. First of all our BB basics lies in Soviet Russia, so no surprise our coaches has the best connection with Russia. More over, our BB federation never seemed to too much interested into the integration of FIBA structures (interestingly enough only last year we got first member in FIBA!) so we don't have good connections in the west, where most of powerhouses lies. Another reason might be the temper - Lithuanian coaches knows how to talk with Lithuanian players, but can they work with egocentric stars from West? This attitude might be there as well. Kemzūra and S. Kairys thinking that Lithuania should learn from Serbia on this matter. Serbia created great net of their coaches all over Europe and has great connections and integrity. Basically, that's where Lithuanian BB is so behind Serbian.

Let's get back on topic. Who do you think is the best current coach?

I think Kemzura, Kurtinaitis and Pacesas are something like new generation. It's very strange that Kurtinaitis and Kemzūra are still not coaching Euroleague's team. Basically I think that exactly this trio could brake the ice and to open the ways for Lithuanian coaches to the west. Pačėsas had a great season with Prokom last season and Kemzūra should get some real offer after his contract will expire.
What is your definition of "West"? Geographical, political, economical?

In any way, the new "West" seems to be in control of basketball now over the old "East".

In all honesty it sickens me that future of basketball will be judged by a board consisting members from Malta, Andorra, Luxemburg, Iceland, Czech Rep and others...

As for coaches, some were given the chance but didn't show much. Also I don't like Pacecas. He is probably the mastermind behind Prokom's 25 players and two different teams, and now both are losing games in Euroleague, VTB and Poland. And last week when head to head with a mediocre Serb coach he failed.

Serbian coaches is probably the best professional union there is. They decided strategic moves of Serbian basketball, including coach of NT, all together. First coaches always sit as assistants in NT to help out, they stick together in foreign countries and pull strings to sign their own players etc.

Back to topic: I think Kazlauskas has the biggest accomplishments.
Not too many chances I would say. Kurtinaitis didn't get Euroleague team after winning Eurocup with Rytas. Kemzura did a good job in Khimki, but thanks to Delfino was cut too soon. Pacesas isn't that bad, IMO. He knows how to get things from his players and he will improve in tactical and other things while he is very young.

On other hand, Lithuania is still short in this matter. We need more young and smart coaches. Well Macijauskas, Kleiza and Javtokas will try to get coaching masters degree in some London's university Biggrin And Jasikevičius could be a coach already I think Tongue
Well, there is your problem. Getting basketball coaching degree in London is like getting an engineering degree in some undiscovered Peru tribe.

They should go study in Serbia, coach some youth teams there, sit as assistant for 5 years next to a Serbian (or not) head coach and they'll be ready to go. If they want to go for a career in stock markets or in sea trade, then London is the right place for them.

Jasikevicius doesn't need a degree. He is ready to go.
Quote:They should go study in Serbia, coach some youth teams there, sit as assistant for 5 years next to a Serbian (or not) head coach and they'll be ready to go. If they want to go for a career in stock markets or in sea trade, then London is the right place for them.

Ironically things getting brighter about Lithuanian coaches lately. Kemzura making a name with young NT in WC and playing in Eurochallenge's final with Lokomotiv. He obviously can expect some good things after his contract expires. J. Kazlauskas takes control of CSKA, even if things still do not look too good here. Kurtinaitis is doing a great job with Khimki. Pačėsas also already has a name with Prokom. Chomicius doing fine with Unics.

Sorry, but I wouldn't like to see our coaches learning from smatterers as Anzulovic and Trifunovic Bag
Quote:Ironically things getting brighter about Lithuanian coaches lately. Kemzura making a name with young NT in WC and playing in Eurochallenge's final with Lokomotiv. He obviously can expect some good things after his contract expires. J. Kazlauskas takes control of CSKA, even if things still do not look too good here. Kurtinaitis is doing a great job with Khimki. Pačė—sas also already has a name with Prokom. Chomicius doing fine with Unics.

Sorry, but I wouldn't like to see our coaches learning from smatterers as Anzulovic and Trifunovic Bag

Right now Chomičius is working in Triumph and that team is last in local league but as I know from few other interviews that team is very young and management wants youngsters to play. Lithuania has many good coaches and some of them still works nowhere or in very low level. Those Serbian coaches can't teach a thing our coaches, basketball is same everywhere...they just need to get experience...right now Lithuanian teams brings coaches like Anzulovic who didn't do anything good while we have many good coaches who wait for their chance.

Some good coaches aren't even mentioned here:

D.Maskoliūnas (still very young and quite prospect)

D.Adomaitis (does very good in Poland so far, very young)

R.Vaišvila (after good season in Neptūnas he worked quite well in China but this year's Neptūnas wasn't very successful but he's still good coach)

P.Juodis (he had only one good season as good coach in Neptūnas but as I know he's good at motivating his players)

R.Giedraitis (former assistant of Sireikia completed his own system in Juventus with good defensive-minded game with good offense)

R.Paulauskas (also is good)

And these coaches are young... LKL really has many good coaches but for foreign teams that's nothing.
My bad, he still working in Russia, that confused me.
Quote:Sorry, but I wouldn't like to see our coaches learning from smatterers as Anzulovic and Trifunovic Bag

Obradovic, Ivkovic, Pesic, Tanjevic?
Quote:Obradovic, Ivkovic, Pesic, Tanjevic?

Yeah, they do have great coaches...

Kurtinaitis for example is pretty similar to Serbian style BTW.