TalkBasket.net Basketball Forums

Full Version: Taurasi's contract terminated by Turkish team
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Diana Taurasi's deal voided for doping

ANKARA, Turkey -- American basketball star Diana Taurasi had her contract terminated by Turkish club Fenerbahce on Thursday after her "B" sample tested positive for doping.

The Istanbul-based club made its decision after the Turkish Basketball Federation announced the results of the doping test on its website. Taurasi faces a ban of up to two years, putting in jeopardy her chances of playing for the United States at the 2012 London Olympics.

Christian Petersen/Getty Images

Diana Taurasi's days of playing for Turkish club Fenerbahce are over, and doubt has been cast on her chances of playing for the United States in the 2012 Games.

The federation has not announced a decision on Taurasi's punishment.

Taurasi's "A" sample tested positive last month for the banned stimulant modafinil following a Turkish league game Nov. 13. Taurasi had been suspended by Fenerbahce ever since.

The International Olympic Committee bars any athlete given a doping penalty of six months or more from competing in the next Games. Taurasi helped the Americans win gold medals at the past two Olympics and was the leading scorer when the U.S. won the women's world championship last year.

Modafinil is used to counter excessive sleepiness due to narcolepsy, shift-work sleep disorder or sleep apnea, according to drug manufacturers.

On Tuesday, Geno Auriemma, the United States women's basketball coach for the 2012 Olympics, said the former University of Connecticut star told him that she did not take modafinil. He also said he didn't know if Taurasi had any problems with sleeplessness.

One of the most decorated women's players in history, Taurasi led the WNBA in scoring for a league-record fourth straight year, averaging 22.6 points last season. The five-time All-Star and two-time WNBA champion signed a multiyear contract extension with Phoenix in August.

The Mercury have not commented publicly on the doping case.

Taurasi is one of many American stars who play overseas in the winter because salaries there are significantly higher than in the WNBA. She played in Russia for four years for Spartak before joining the Turkish league this season.

Taurasi was leading the league in scoring with 24.6 points per game.

Two of Taurasi's teammates at Fenerbahce have resisted doping tests in Turkey because they do not trust the lab that tests the samples. Australian player Penny Taylor and Czech teammate Hana Horakova provided samples only after the Turkish federation agreed to send them to Germany for testing at a lab in Cologne.

The two players were tested after Fenerbahce's Turkish league game Sunday.

Modafinil has been involved in several major doping cases, including that of American sprinter Kelli White, and is on the World Anti-Doping Agency's list of banned substances.

White won the 100- and 200-meter races at the 2003 world championships in Paris, but both of her medals were stripped after she tested positive for the stimulant

http://sports.espn.go.com/wnba/news/story?id=5994949

Geno Auriemma supports Diana Taurasi

STORRS, Conn. -- Geno Auriemma is standing by his former Connecticut star Diana Taurasi.

Auriemma said Taurasi told him that she didn't take the banned substance -- modafinil -- that she tested positive for last month.

"I'm not privy to all the information," Auriemma said after UConn's practice Tuesday. "I don't know what her attorney knows. I don't know what the Turkish federation knows. I don't know what the doping agency knows. I don't know any of that stuff. All I know is from talking to Diana. And I know she's really, really devastated by all this. And she told me, 'Coach I didn't take that. Whatever they're saying I didn't do it.' And I've got to believe her."

Taurasi had been provisionally suspended by her Turkish club team Fenerbahce pending the result of her "B" sample test, which was analyzed at the doping lab at Hacettepe University in Ankara. Her backup doping sample came back positive and she faces a possible two-year ban, Turkish news reports said Monday.

The Turkish basketball federation did not immediately confirm the reports by the Dogan News agency and private NTV news channel. Neither news outlet cited a source.

"[We've] seen those reports, but there is no official report," Taurasi's lawyer Howard Jacobs told The Associated Press. "It's disconcerting that it would come out before they finished the process."

If Taurasi is suspended for more than six months it would put her 2012 Olympics status with the U.S. national basketball team in jeopardy. She has helped the team win gold medals at the past two Olympics and was the leading scorer at the women's world championships, which the Americans won in early October.

The International Olympic Committee bars any athlete given a doping penalty of six months or more from competing in the next games.

Auriemma is the U.S. coach for the 2012 Olympics.

"My feeling is I'm going to believe Diana until proven otherwise," Auriemma said. "There's too many inconsistencies over there with what happened. There's too many question marks about the agency that administered the test. And, again I don't know anything other than what I've heard."

Modafinil is used to counter excessive sleepiness due to narcolepsy, shift-work sleep disorder or sleep apnea, according to drug manufacturers.

Auriemma admitted he didn't know if Taurasi had any problems with sleeplessness.

"People travel a lot like she does," Auriemma said. "People are under the gun a lot like she is. And there's I'm sure opportunities for whatever that is and I'm sure if that was the case you go to a doctor and you get a prescription. And I don't know any of that. D just told me, 'I didn't take it.' And that's all I can go by."

http://sports.espn.go.com/wnba/news/story?id=5989902
" Modafinil is used to counter excessive sleepiness due to narcolepsy, shift-work sleep disorder or sleep apnea, according to drug manufacturers.

Auriemma admitted he didn't know if Taurasi had any problems with sleeplessness.

"People travel a lot like she does," Auriemma said. "People are under the gun a lot like she is. And there's I'm sure opportunities for whatever that is and I'm sure if that was the case you go to a doctor and you get a prescription. And I don't know any of that. D just told me, 'I didn't take it.' And that's all I can go by." "

I believe this is true. Taurasi plays basketball year round at a high level both in USA and in Europe. She travels a lot. Modafinil is used for sleeplessness disorders and for chronic fatigue. She is probably suffering from these. This is an ingredient in legal prescription. I think this drug is boarder line harmless. I appreciate WADA but i think banning this drug is wrong. I think this should be a non issue.
Another American trying to cheat her way to more cash...

If you can't sleep from travelling, don't fucking travel so much, end of story.

The c*nt should be banned for life form playing in Europe, no discussion.
Quote:Another American trying to cheat her way to more cash...

First Americans aren't the only ones trying to cheat there way to more cash. That's a weak excuse if its a serious condition the drug should be legal. This is a small maybe even negligible enhancement. It doesn't work for everyone. This is not growth hormones enhancers or steroids. This is a drug given to people who have disorder for working. Basketball is her job. What should she say? "I can't work because im not sleeping." Seriously no employer would take that excuse. Banned from Europe is a bit drastic the girl has insane skill. Taking a drug for sleep disorder doesn't change this.

If you worked for a company and you found out that a fellow co-worker was using Moda would you get him fired?
"Zalgiris is close to losing one more player due to extraordinary circumstances. Kaunodiena.lt reports that the team's captain Dainius Salenga has been suspended by FIBA after a positive doping test result in his urine sample taken on December 23, 2010 after Euroleague game against Khimki. As TalkBasket.net reported, Zalgiris lost Mirza Begic who terminated the contract unilaterally.

Methylhexanamine which is an illegal substance according to WADA (World Anti-Doping Agency) rules has been found in Salenga's A sample. The player has the right to ask the B sample to be tested. The deadline for his decision whether to ask for B sample to be examined is January 10.

At the moment Salenga is banned from playing in all national and international competitions until the final decision is made. Zalgiris has publicly distanced itself from the case stating the club's medical staff has not given any illegal substances to Salenga. The club also decided not to let Salenga train with the club since the ban was upheld.

The 33-year-old veteran averaged 4.8 points, 1.6 rebounds and 1.1 assists per game in Euroleague this season."

Since you are so strict do you think Zalgiris should be banned from Euroleague and Europe for life? Should WADA have special investigation on Zalgiris. Come on man this is a weak drug. WADA is too strict.
Quote:Another American trying to cheat her way to more cash...

How do you mean don't travel so much??? What should she do? When they play away game to not travel, to stay at her home and watch game on TV???

I don't support using drugs or any stimulating things at all, but your statement is disgusting.
I agree with you. Than every player how has the same problem, should stay at home? Most teams won't have many players left.

Maybe WADA is to strict, but they have made rules and everybody needs to follow them. But if there are many players that have sleeplessness disorders and for chronic fatigue than WADA needs to take Modafinil of the doping list
Europe is not NBA where the players are tested only for narcotics...

If WADA says it's illegal and it's enchancement, then it a professional player who plays under WADA rules (the entire civilised world of sports, except USA) should not take it.

99.99999999999999999999% of players play only in NBA or only in Europe because their bodies can't take playing the entire year... why should an American player would be allowed to play in both leagues during entire eyar BY CHEATING because she is so greedy?

As for Salenga, if his 2nd test is found positive, he should be banned for 2 years, like the law states. Being 33 already, he is toast. Will I cry? No. Will I defend him cause I support Zalgiris or because he is European? Hell no. f*ck cheating.
Quote:I agree with you. Than every player how has the same problem, should stay at home? Most teams won't have many players left.

Maybe WADA is to strict, but they have made rules and everybody needs to follow them. But if there are many players that have sleeplessness disorders and for chronic fatigue than WADA needs to take Modafinil of the doping list

I agree totally. Rules are rules she is wrong and she is probably lying. I suspect that she has a prescription for the drug or she took it as recommendation from a colleague. Rules are rules she should be punished.
Quote:But if there are many players that have sleeplessness disorders and for chronic fatigue than WADA needs to take Modafinil of the doping list

So more players are encouraged to play more games during a season?

That's wrong. If fatigue is the problem the solution is to play less games. Less games in local and international competitions, less Eurobaskets (every 4 years) etc...

Natural talent is sacrificed a lot as it is... if we promote physical and muscular ability and endurance, talented players will find less and less chances to shine...

Also if an old player is feeling tired he or she should just quit basketball and give the chance to younger players to play...
Quote:"Europe is not NBA where the players are tested only for narcotics..."

I'm very aware Europe is not the NBA. Players are not only tested for narcotics. This is an over simplification. However I do understand your point of view.

If WADA says it's illegal and it's enchancement, then it a professional player who plays under WADA rules (the entire civilised world of sports, except USA) should not take it.

Rules are rules. Laws are laws but not all laws and rules in this world are just. Would you agree with that statement? Not all rules and laws in this world are just. It's my opinion that WADA is too strict. I also think that 1 company having control of what is legal and illegal with no scientific means to challenge leads to both corruption and unintentional unfairness.

99.99999999999999999999% of players play only in NBA or only in Europe because their bodies can't take playing the entire year... why should an American player would be allowed to play in both leagues during entire eyar BY CHEATING because she is so greedy?

To answer your question it doesn't matter to me so much that she is American. I think it matters more to you because it fits your stereotype of a money hungry "greedy" American. I think she should be punished in accordance to the rules. I'm only saying that the rules are bad. Again I believe the rules should be followed. Rules should also be challenged. The definition of what is cheating and what is not needs to be reevaluated. I believe American sports rules are far too lenient "Not strict enough". I think WADA is too strict. My view is not simply American. Although I am American my view is for all people. I don't believe she should be allowed to play. She is a cheater according to the rules.

As for Salenga, if his 2nd test is found positive, he should be banned for 2 years, like the law states. Being 33 already, he is toast. Will I cry? No. Will I defend him cause I support Zalgiris or because he is European? Hell no. f*ck cheating.

Again not all laws are just. Salenga may be 33 and toast as you say. He is still a player just like anyone else doesn't matter his level of play. What if it was Marty Pocius that was discovered taking Modafinil another weak drug. Does this mean he is scum and his talent is less real. Diana Taurasi is not some "c*nt" as you say. She's a human being that is extraordinarily talented. Maybe you don't respect women or woman basketball to call her such things. Regardless of your belief she is an amazing talent. If she were a man her talent would translate to the highest level. I'm not trying too change the rules too simply accommodate Americans weak drug laws. It's beneficial to everyone to have a more fair system. This is not America vs Europe discussion.

Here are a few hypothetical situations and other things for everyone to think about:

What if: Arvydas Romas Sabonis is one of the greatest basketball players to ever live. He might be the greatest center of all time. WHAT IF it was discovered that he was taking drugs in the past. For example what if he was taking Modafinil drug. It is known that may Lietuva basketball stars were forced to play for the old Russian republic. Many players were threatened their families were threatned with loss of money and physical harm. This causes stress and anxiety which caused the great Sabonis and many of his Lietuva brothers not to sleep properly so they could not rest. What if the take Modafinil to deal with stress and sleep does this make them cheats? Does this mean that Sabonis is not a great player because he is dealing with a serious condition? Modafinil is a legal drug to help people with sleeping disorders associated with their job. Basketball is his job! Anxiety, sleeplessness, depression are all real threats and many athletes suffer from these afflictions because of constantly playing at a high level. Most athletes every where have a shorter life expectancy due to stress on the body. Basketball players are among the most unhealthy because they are so large and larger people have weaker internal mechanisms. Its better stated that larger people put more stress on their bodies due to size. Thats why "big men" have so many injury problems. Would it take away from Arvydas Sabonis legacy if at that time he was taking Modafinil to get rest. Maybe he drink some vodka or smoke weed to relax his nerves. Would that make him Scum or c*nt? A cheater? I don't think so. Sabonis is great player Modafinil and some other drugs should not be banned or should be banned more carefully.

Coaches: If Modafinil and other mental stimulants are banned for players. Why is it that the coaches, trainers and staff related to team performance are not screened for drugs that enhance mental performance? For example if a coach or trainer is using this drug then his tactics may be more sharper causing his team to have an advantage. Trainers and staff can pick up on weaknesses in defense have more creative ideas and discoveries. If players and have to be tested so should office workers for the organization because it is unfair to have a coach who can think better during a game. Its unfair to have an organization that has better practice do to staff being on banned drugs. So what if it was found that some of the great basketball minds were using drugs? Does this mean that their accomplishments are a fluke or tainted?
USA - Taurasi ban lifted

ISTANBUL (2012 London Olympics) – The United States will have arguably the best player in the world in their team at next year’s Olympic Games in London after the provisional doping ban on Diana Taurasi was lifted by the Turkish Basketball Federation (TBF).

Taurasi, whose contract was terminated by Fenerbahce in early January, had to stop playing in December after a lab determined that she had tested positive for modafinil, a banned stimulant that combats insomnia and other sleep-related conditions.

According to the TBF, the lab that returned the positive test retracted its report after evaluating Taurasi's comments.

Provisional bans for three other basketball and football players have also been lifted.

Taurasi's attorney, Howard Jacobs, spoke to The Courant newspaper in Connecticut, where the player was a college basketball star.

He said: "The defense we submitted was based primarily on lab error and errors in even identifying modafinil.

"We felt strongly it was a false positive and it's good to know that they agreed, even though it took several rounds of hearings to get there."

Geno Auriemma, Taurasi's college coach at the University of Connecticut and with the gold-medal winning United States national team at last summer's FIBA World Championship for Women, said: "I was thrilled to read today's report that the precautionary ban on Diana had been lifted by the Turkish Federation.

"Throughout this entire ordeal, [Taurasi] maintained her innocence and for her to be exonerated makes me incredibly happy for her.

"I hope she can put this behind her and focus all her efforts on continuing to be the best player in the world."

"We're delighted that Diana has been cleared and can now put this behind her and continue her remarkable basketball career," USA Basketball executive director Jim Tooley said in a statement.

"She has been an exemplary member of numerous USA Basketball teams since 2000, and we look forward to her continued involvement with USA Basketball."
Will she continue playing in Europe this season or not?

I find it good that her name is cleared
Quote:Will she continue playing in Europe this season or not?

I find it good that her name is cleared

Hi I am Fenerbahce fan. As a basketball lover and Fenerbahce fan I am shamed of what TBL's decision for Taurasi. Some people in the federation have to shame, too. This is a serious job and 'some people' should learn that! I hope she wiil turn back to Fenerbahce where she belongs. By the way as a sports fan I like to bet on Basketball. Can anyone help me find a good site for Basketball betting? Any suggestion will be appreciated.