TalkBasket.net Basketball Forums

Full Version: Ukraine NT
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
In an interview to Vladimir Kotsur of sport-express.ua , Alexander Volkov confirmed that the Ukrainian federation of basketball and former Atlanta Hawks head-coach Mike Fratello are in talks that could lead to the TNT analyst coaching the Ukrainian national team at the 2011 Eurobasket which will be held in Lithuania in September.

As mentioned by Kotsur in the interview, the connection between Fratello and Volkov exists through Atlanta, where Volkov played from 1989 to 1992 and Fratello coached from 1983 to 1990. Volkov also mentions on the interview that they are still negotiating and that there are other candidates, which he preferred not to mention.

Fratello was fired by the Memphis Grizzlies in 2006, after the team lost 18 of their first 24 games of the season. He had led the Grizzlies to two playoff appearances in the two previous seasons, getting swept in both. In 16 years coaching in the NBA, with three teams (the Hawks, the Cleveland Cavaliers and the Grizzlies), Fratello coached his teams to a 667-552 record (a winning percentage of 54.7%).

In the draw that took place last Sunday, January the 30th, it became established that Ukraine is placed on Group D, a group that also features Russia, Bulgaria, Georgia, Belgium and Slovenia.

http://www.sport-express.ua/basketball/n...-nimy.html
I think Fratello would be a very good coach for Ukraine. He's a lot of experience and he could guide them very well.

They also have a good team, with players like Gladyr,Pecherov,Lishchuk, Fesenko etc. It's a hard working team and they play well together.

I think that they make a good chance to go to the next round but they'll need to fight for it. I'm going to watch some games of them because I think it could be very interested games. Gladyr was drafted by the Atlanta Hawks and I think at Eurobasket he could show how much he has improve.
good generation of players for ukraine. in the group they are they could advance to the second phase
That's right suricata. they have got a good generation players. They also have some good young players who could become very good players for them in the future. Kyryl Natyazhko,Stanislav Tymofeyenko,Maksym Pustozvonov,Maxym Korniyenko,Sergiy Popov etc. will be good players in a couple of years. Maybe some of the young players will go to Eurobasket and get playing time. Maybe if Fratello become the coach he could take Kyryl Natyazhko and Maksym Pustozvonov. they could become a very good bigmen and it would be a great experience in their developing process.
ESPN is reporting this. I wonder what the details of the contract are. Its been a month or so and still no resolution.:

"KIEV, Ukraine -- Former NBA coach Mike Fratello has agreed to coach Ukraine's national team at the European Championship this year.

The Ukrainian Basketball Federation says it has a verbal agreement with the former Atlanta Hawks, Cleveland Cavaliers and Memphis Grizzlies coach. A contract will be signed in the next few days.

The European Championship is scheduled for Aug. 31-Sept. 18 in Lithuania.

The 64-year-old Fratello, who has been working as an NBA television analyst for Turner Sports, is expected to take charge in July.

Ukraine is in Group D with Slovenia, Russia, Belgium, Bulgaria and Georgia."
[quote name='Raze Lupin' timestamp='1298648948' post='29152']

ESPN is reporting this. I wonder what the details of the contract are. Its been a month or so and still no resolution.:

"KIEV, Ukraine -- Former NBA coach Mike Fratello has agreed to coach Ukraine's national team at the European Championship this year.

The Ukrainian Basketball Federation says it has a verbal agreement with the former Atlanta Hawks, Cleveland Cavaliers and Memphis Grizzlies coach. A contract will be signed in the next few days.

The European Championship is scheduled for Aug. 31-Sept. 18 in Lithuania.

The 64-year-old Fratello, who has been working as an NBA television analyst for Turner Sports, is expected to take charge in July.

Ukraine is in Group D with Slovenia, Russia, Belgium, Bulgaria and Georgia."

[/quote]
I think Fratello will do fine with Ukraine and he has a very good chance to advance to the next round.
[url="http://www.superbasket.gr/permalink/146196.html"]Sergei Lishchouk quits from national team at the age of 29.[/url]