TalkBasket.net Basketball Forums

Full Version: NBA Lockout could impact NBA players in FIBA competitions
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Basically, the price of insurance becomes an issue for NBA players who wish to play in FIBA competitions. Normally, the NBA insurance would cover the player's NBA contract if he gets injured in international play. If there is a lockout there would be no contract to cover and thus the insurance burden would be with the national team.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/olympics/...ance_N.htm#
Luckily Lithuania will be without NBA players, having in mind Kleiza's injury and the expiration of Songaila's contract (if he will play anyway). On another hand, if Motiejunas and Valanciunas would be drafted it could be a problem, but they are nor very likely to make a final roster.

Such teams as France might have some financial weight I guess.
[quote name='straight forward' timestamp='1304270606' post='30794']

Luckily Lithuania will be without NBA players, having in mind Kleiza's injury and the expiration of Songaila's contract (if he will play anyway). On another hand, if Motiejunas and Valanciunas would be drafted it could be a problem, but they are nor very likely to make a final roster.

Such teams as France might have some financial weight I guess.

[/quote]

I don't know how that would work with Valanciunas and Motiejunas. The NBA team that drafts them would own their rights should they opt to come over to the NBA but they still have their European contracts until a deal is negotiated between their current club and NBA club. If there is no lockout I would imagine that the NBA clubs would have to buyout their European contracts to get them over to the NBA next season. If there is a lockout, this wouldn't occur as the teams would not be negotiating anything with players until the Collective Bargaining Agreement is finalized.
This is article is very poor and unprofessional. Everyone knows that all federations insure their NT players anyway...
NBA is now asking for Federations to increase the amount of insurance... as a result some stars like Dirk Nowitzki will personally cover part of the insurance, just to be able to play... pathetic.