TalkBasket.net Basketball Forums

Full Version: Maccabi Tel Aviv 2011/2012
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Players that are under contract for the next season

Jeremy Pargo*
Tal Burstein
Guy Pnini
Lior Eliyahu*
Milan Macvan**
Richard Hendrix**
Sofo Schortsanitis
Shawn James

*Pargo and Eliyahu both have an NBA release clause.
**According to rumors either Hendrix or Macvan might leave, in Macvan's case if he'll leave it's on loan

Players that finished contract (and havn't re-signed)

Doron Perkins (Maccabi offered, he demands more and he probably won't get it because of his tough injury, rumors say he is unlikely to stay)
Derrick Sharp (probably will retire and join the team staff, maybe as 2nd assistant coach)
Chuck Eidson (Maccabi improved their offers several times but he has offers of 1.4m according to rumors and rumors say he probably won't stay)
Yaniv Green (completely useless, if he stays it's gotta be some suicidal wish from our team)
David Blu (probably will stay in Maccabi, expected to sign soon)

Players on loan from Maccabi

Elishay Kadir (Maccabi Haifa)-not expected to come back
Jeff Foote (Melilla)-not expected to come back

Players that were connected to Maccabi (rumors)

Yogev Ohayon (Hapoel Jerusalem)
Moran Rott (Hapoel Hulon)
Namanja Nedovic (Red Star)
Sylven Landesberg (Maccabi Haifa)
John Scheyer (D league)
Yotam Halperin (Olympiacos)
Jaycee Carrol (Gran Canaria)
Gustavo Ayon (Fuenlabrada)

There were many more but these were the ones that at least were given a full article Laugh
Blu stays for another season. as expected.

http://maccabi.co.il/News.asp?id=3000
Derrick Sharp is expected to become player-coach. According to Sport5 he will be playing in the Israeli league and when the main players leave to away games in Euroleague and Adriatic he will be in charge of practices of the players that won't participate in these competitions (Maccabi is expected to have 15 players squad to deal with 3 games a week, when the 12 main players will be away together with coaching staff, Sharp will be the coach of those who stay)

Nothing official yet, but could be a nice solution, Sharp who doesn't want to retire will get his well deserved respect and will stay a player while getting some coaching experience that can be useful in the future, and te players that won't participate in Adriatic and Euroleague will have serious practices instead of doing nothing.
MaccabiTA can you tell me more about Shawn James and what do you expect from him? Is it true that Marcus Williams could become the new point guard of Maccabi? In my opinion it would be a great move because he's a very good player and a great playmaker
Maccabi has signed Jon Scheyer( former Duke player) to a two-year contract and they are close to announce that Yotam Halperin will sign a three year contract with them
James is a great defender, a top level shot blocker and a great rebounder, leading the Israeli league in both. He has quite nice offensive game, he's an average three point shooter and has the midrange jumpshot but tends not to force himself on the game and many times just make points off offensive rebounds.

He could be a nice addition, I don't expect him for too much, at least not in the Euroleague. He could b a solid 10-15 minutes player in EL with stable contribution to the team but I also won't be surprised if he'd catch a bigger role cuz his abilities are game changing-he can give some crucial offensive boards or a game changing block and his energies could make him the player Blatt wants on the court when things don't go as they're supposed to.

all in all, good addition that can turn out as a huge steal or just a solid role player, both won't surprise me, depends on how the season goes (sudden Sofo injury can make him a crucial player for example)

Anyway I believe you get what I'm saying.
MACCABI ELECTRA reels in swingman Smith

http://www.euroleague.net/euroleaguenews...gman-smith
So early in the transfer season and only 1 player left to complete the roster.. I'm happy with that mainly because we will no longer see 100 candidates every day. The player that will be the last piece in Blatt's puzzle is probably a foreign combo guard.
Quote: Eurobasket Exclusive: Will Bynum wants to reunite with Maccabi T.A.?

In the music industry it's called a 'remix', in the basketball business the same concept apparently applies, especially if you're a talented NBA point guard from Chicago whose name is Will Bynum.

A source exclusively informed 'Eurobasket' that Bynum, who played for Maccabi between the 2006-2008 seasons, expressed strong interest in and is eager to return to Israel for a so-called 'remix', where he would pair up with childhood friend, Jeremy Pargo, creating one of the most talented, fastest and most athletic back court line in Europe, as they will work to win a Euroleague title. 'Bynum would love to go back to Maccabi if it made sense,' said a source with knowledge of Bynum's situation, adding, 'But I know it would be tough for Maccabi to lose him if/when the lockout ends.'

The signing of Bynum could possibly complete the missing piece of Maccabi's head coach David Blatt's puzzle as the Chi town star would undoubtedly become the most impressive and significant recruit a European team has made this summer.

Bynum aka 'Bynumite', for his explosive athletic ability, played the last three seasons in the NBA for the Detroit Pistons and still has a signed contract with the organization. However, sources close to the player confirmed that he might be interested in opting out of his contract to join Maccabi. 'He did love playing overseas and especially with Maccabi and would never turn down an opportunity to go back if it made sense.'

Israeli sources confirmed that Maccabi is negotiating contract terms with an NBA point guard. Bynum finished the past season playing in 61 games, starting in five of them and posting averages of 7.9 points, 1.2 rebounds and 3.2 assists per game.

The 28 year-old Bynum could turn out being the perfect fit for Blatt, who is in search of a recognized NBA point guard to round out his talented roster. Bynum began his college career at the University of Arizona but after his sophomore season, transferred to Georgia Tech where he helped for the 'Yellow-Jackets' and reached the NCAA Final Four championship game averaging 12.5 points, 2.5 rebounds and 2.5 assists per game. He first appeared in the NBA in the 2005/6 season playing 15 games for the Golden State Warriors averaging 10.8 minutes and 3.6 points. In the 2008/09 season, Bynum joined the Pistons and is playing there ever since. In Europe, Bynum finished his 2007/08 Euroleague season recording 10.6 points and 3 assists per game where in the Israeli domestic league he would post 6.8 points, 1.5 rebounds and 3.2 assists in 26 games.

Maccabi has also showed great potential interest in American Guard Javaris Crittenton (Georgia Tech), who previously played for the Dakota Wizards of the NBA D-League. Crittenton was drafted with the 19th pick in the first round of the 2007 NBA Draft by the Los Angeles Lakers and also played for the Memphis Grizzlies, Washington Wizards and China's Zhejiang Lions. Another name that is considered in the Nokia halls is that of Shooting Guard E'Twaun Moore (University of Purdue), who was selected 55th overall in the 2nd round of the 2011 NBA Draft by the Boston Celtics.

To date, the yellow-and-blue inked Shawn James, Jon Scheyer, Devin Smith and TBD Bynum's former teammate Yotam Halperin (trying to overcome financial tax issues), joined by Jeremy Pargo, Guy Pnini, Lior Eliyahu, Richard Hendrix, Tal Burstein, Milan Macvan, Sofoklis Schortsanitis, David Blu, Derrick Sharp and Sean Labanowski.

http://www.eurobasket.com/Euroleague/bas...sID=232457
Wow.. That could be very interesting. Bynum&Pargo duo would be a nightmare for any opponent that's sure. But I doubt how serious the option is.
MaccabiTA can you tell me more about the situation with Yotam Halperin ?
Quote:MaccabiTA can you tell me more about the situation with Yotam Halperin ?

The dead line is tomorrow. If he won't solve his taxes problems, Ohayon will sign.
The expected thing happened..

Yotam won't be in Maccabi next year. I hope they'd stop being so cheap (cuz they saved money all summer long. Smith is much cheaper than Eidson, James is much cheaper than than Green and Yogev+Scheyer are pretty much Perkins' contract and the Adriatic gave the budget +2m and only money spent is Pargo renewal for 750k more than last season) now I hope they'd use the money they saved to bring a serious, top-level guard that'd take the team to the next level.
Quote:The expected thing happened..

Yotam won't be in Maccabi next year. I hope they'd stop being so cheap (cuz they saved money all summer long. Smith is much cheaper than Eidson, James is much cheaper than than Green and Yogev+Scheyer are pretty much Perkins' contract and the Adriatic gave the budget +2m and only money spent is Pargo renewal for 750k more than last season) now I hope they'd use the money they saved to bring a serious, top-level guard that'd take the team to the next level.

I heard about 2 names, but nothing confirm so far:

Chris Quinn and Earl Watson.
What about the rumors about Popovic? Any chance it's true? Cuz to be honest I prefer him over these two.. Watson could be nice but he's not exactly young and has no experience in Europe
Quote:What about the rumors about Popovic? Any chance it's true? Cuz to be honest I prefer him over these two.. Watson could be nice but he's not exactly young and has no experience in Europe

Maybe Popovic. I like him, too.
According to one.co.il Derrick Sharp may retire before the next season after all Sad they say Blatt pressured him because he wanted his spot to get free for a different player that can contribute more on court while Sharp will stay in the team just not as a player, probably 2nd assistant coach (the last one Avi Even now left this job to become the head of scouting department).

I have no idea how reliable this is but if it's true I'm mad at Blatt, Sharp gave so much for Maccabi on and off the court and he is such a huge symbol of Maccabi that he should be given the possibility to stay as a player even when he's 50 as long as he's interested.
it's official now Sad after 15 years as a Maccabi player in the age of 39 Derrick Sharp retires And he will become the 2nd assistant coach.

I didn't believe the day would come..

In his 15 years with Maccabi he won:
3 European Championships
13 Israli Championships
11 Israeli cups

But most important he left us with a moment that no Maccabi fan will ever forget

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oiaJPXlcCJM

"The Zalgiris miracle"-last game of 2004 top 16, Maccabi hosts Zalgiris, winner gets to the Final Four in Tel Aviv Zalgiris 94 Maccabi 91 with 2 seconds left. Shelef with a quarterback-like pass, Sharp catch the ball and from there the rest is history... After that Maccabi went all the way to the cup by crushing Skipper Bologna 118-74 in the biggest final-game performance ever seen that broke many European records.
I used your post as the base for my article.

Derrick Sharp retires (vid)

It was the least I could do to honour him.
Thanks for making this article.

It's an end of an era.. Sad
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5