TalkBasket.net Basketball Forums

Full Version: USA NT 2012
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19
Select team is beating the National team.

http://forums.interbasket.net/showthread...post715902

Quote: "We got the best of them today," a visibly excited Cousins volunteered after the scrimmages at UNLV. "Yeah. Select Team. We won most of the quarters. We just outplayed them. We made them turn the ball over, make tough shots, take tough shots. We rebounded better and got out and ran."

Read more here: http://www.sacbee.com/2012/07/11/4622721...rylink=cpy
^ How immature!
If Davis is healthy enough to play in the Olympucs then Griffin's injury could be a blessing in disguise for the US.
I prefer Griffin over Davis. I prefer Cousins over them both. Davis has no experience with professional players.
[quote name='Raze Lupin' timestamp='1342137366' post='38405']

I prefer Griffin over Davis. I prefer Cousins over them both. Davis has no experience with professional players.

[/quote]

Absolutely agree about Cousins but I think that despite his limited experience Davis' skill set is better catered to the what Team USA needs. Just defend the paint Mr. Davis, that is all we require and that is what Davis does best. On offense we have 11 other players who can carry the load, Davis just needs to be able to hit an open jumper. My only concern about Davis is whether he'll be at full health.

Also, it is more than just slightly insulting to Cousins that he is too immature to make the team and instead they are going with an injured college kid.
[quote name='skangles' timestamp='1342138511' post='38406']

Absolutely agree about Cousins but I think that despite his limited experience Davis' skill set is better catered to the what Team USA needs. Just defend the paint Mr. Davis, that is all we require and that is what Davis does best. On offense we have 11 other players who can carry the load, Davis just needs to be able to hit an open jumper. My only concern about Davis is whether he'll be at full health.

Also, it is more than just slightly insulting to Cousins that he is too immature to make the team and instead they are going with an injured college kid.

[/quote]

I like how Griffin played Marc Gasol in the playoffs. I also liked the way he played Pau in Laker/Clipper match up. Griffin is probably a better rebounder. He can probably fight for position better. Davis is a good shot blocker. Again that was in college. Davis is no Jonas Valenciunas. I don't trust davis to put a body on big players.

Yeah it is an insult. Coach K did explain why Davis was called up. It was because he was already in Vegas for the NBA summer league. Cousins is still a possibility.
[quote name='Raze Lupin' timestamp='1342141449' post='38407']

I like how Griffin played Marc Gasol in the playoffs. I also liked the way he played Pau in Laker/Clipper match up. Griffin is probably a better rebounder. He can probably fight for position better. Davis is a good shot blocker. Again that was in college. Davis is no Jonas Valenciunas. I don't trust davis to put a body on big players.

Yeah it is an insult. Coach K did explain why Davis was called up. It was because he was already in Vegas for the NBA summer league. Cousins is still a possibility.

[/quote]

Griffin may be a better rebounder but I'm confident in USA's rebounding ability. Kevin Love is the best rebounder on the planet. I still think shot blocking is exactly what we need. You're right that Davis was dominanting college kids but I think that he has a natural grasp of timing/positioning.

Valanciunas and Davis are difficult to compare in my opinion other than they are two extremely talented young players with the potential for greatness. Valanciunas is a far better offensive player than Davis at this point and is naturally a much larger player with fantastic hands but with that said I think I'd take Davis for a defensive stop in this moment.

All this discussion might be for nothing as the way the announcers are talking Griffin might rejoin the team depending on his MRI results on Sunday.
Fran Fraschilla is being a complete tool as usual. He just kissed Colangelo's ass for the job he has done building this team and creating a select team to compete with Team USA. Really, this was Colanagelo who did this? Chris Webber, Jamal Mashburn, Bobby Hurley don't ring a bell, Fran?
The morale of the story in the first half is that just like 2010 Durant can and will beat you by himself. You have to shut him down to even have a chance against Team USA.
Half-time USA 50-27 D.R.

I'm not impressed with USA. USA looks like a jump shooting team with no inside presence. Tyson Chandler is in foul trouble as expected. Lamar Odom is missed. Dwight Howard is missed. This is ridiculous. What do you guys think?
[quote name='Raze Lupin' timestamp='1342145249' post='38411']

Half-time USA 50-27 D.R.

I'm not impressed with USA. USA looks like a jump shooting team with no inside presence. Tyson Chandler is in foul trouble as expected. Lamar Odom is missed. Dwight Howard is missed. This is ridiculous. What do you guys think?

[/quote]

Yep, they still look a bit rusty. It would have been good to have seen a White vs. Blue game or even a Team USA vs US select in a proper game environment at the Thomas Mack Ceneter to kick things off. With that said, Team USA is rebounding quite well tonight. They haven't moved the ball particularly well but then again the Dominican Republic hasn't made them distribute. Even playing like this they're going to be tough to beat.

This roster is just so stacked with wings and they're all good but you can even use Westbrook as a wing. I go back to the decision to take both Harden and Iguodala and I can't help but think that it was absolutely unnecessary to take both of these guys at the expense of another large body. I would love to see Davis get a few minutes in the second half but I think that it would be kind of stupid to put him out there given that he is trying to recover from injury.
[quote name='skangles' timestamp='1342144649' post='38410']

The morale of the story in the first half is that just like 2010 Durant can and will beat you by himself. You have to shut him down to even have a chance against Team USA.

[/quote]

The lack of height is killing USA. Not having Howard, Bosh, Odom, LaMarcus Aldridge even Griffin has proven to be costly. This proves USA is in trouble. All the teams have to do is zone us. Thank goodness for Kevin Durant!
[quote name='Raze Lupin' timestamp='1342145877' post='38413']

The lack of height is killing USA. Not having Howard, Bosh, Odom, LaMarcus Aldridge even Griffin has proven to be costly. This proves USA is in trouble. All the teams have to do is zone us. Thank goodness for Kevin Durant!

[/quote]

It is crazy to think that an above average center like Cousins is probably all we would need to feel really good about this team right now.

Off topic Fran Fraschilla was now complaining about Nigeria and Tunisia being in the same group because it will allow France, Lithuania and Argentina to qualify and avoid playing the US in the quarterfinals. This guy is absolutely horrible. Nigeria can't possibly pose a threat, can they Fran? I doubt he even bothered to check the box scores of the games in Caracas. He clearly has no idea what he's talking about.
[quote name='skangles' timestamp='1342146444' post='38414']

It is crazy to think that an above average center like Cousins is probably all we would need to feel really good about this team right now.

Off topic Fran Fraschilla was now complaining about Nigeria and Tunisia being in the same group because it will allow France, Lithuania and Argentina to qualify and avoid playing the US in the quarterfinals. This guy is absolutely horrible. Nigeria can't possibly pose a threat, can they Fran? I doubt he even bothered to check the box scores of the games in Caracas. He clearly has no idea what he's talking about.

[/quote]

Its not that Nigeria causes a threat. Its that its not fair for FIBA Africa. Either Nigeria or Tunisia needs to be in group B.

I'm convinced France can beat USA now..
[quote name='Raze Lupin' timestamp='1342146981' post='38415']

Its not that Nigeria causes a threat. Its that its not fair for FIBA Africa. Either Nigeria or Tunisia needs to be in group B.

I'm convinced France can beat USA now..

[/quote]

Right but that wasn't Fraschilla's point. I don't think that Tunisia and Nigeria will give any consideration to it being unfair that they need to play each other, they'll both just want to do what it takes to reach the quarterfinals. Well, Nigeria might pretend to care but that would just be so that they can play the crap teams in Group B and have a better shot at making the quarterfinals.

In any event the US' distribution and defense have been much better in the second half. Still doesn't address the lack of an inside presence but if they play like this it won't matter. Teams cannot let the US run. I wish that the US would intentionally slow the pace for a few minutes just for the experience of running a half court offense.
This team is looking like the USA Thunder. No real continuity on offense. I'd like to see some more set plays. better execution. Andre igudola has def improved since 2010.

USA 79-47 DR end of the 3rd
Davis is in!!!
Davis has done nothing so far. With that said, I am enjoying this big team of Chandler, Love and Davis all on the court at the same time. We like to take risks!
I rescind my comment on Davis. He has dominated the last minute of basketball! I'd like to see him play more in the paint at both ends of the court.
[quote name='skangles' timestamp='1342149167' post='38420']

I rescind my comment on Davis. He has dominated the last minute of basketball! I'd like to see him play more in the paint at both ends of the court.

[/quote]

Yeah that kid is ballin!! I think Jonas V is better
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19