TalkBasket.net Basketball Forums

Full Version: Basketball quiz
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
The topic title says it all. The one who gets the right answer posts new question.

First question. Where does team name "Žalgiris" come from?
Green forest? "Žalia giria" ? Rolleyes Rolleyes Rolleyes
True. But I wanted to hear after what historic event it was called Žalgiris Smile
One name is synonymous with Zalgiris: Arvydas Sabonis. The team's owner is also its top player, as the 40-year old Sabonis earned First Team All-Euroleague honors this past season. The 1999 Euroleague champs are also five-time Soviet Union champs and 19-time Lithuanian LKL champs. Biggrin im smart aint i Biggrin
That's not the answer but true Thup Smile
was the founders name Zalgris or are they situated in a city called Zalgris?
Nope. OK I'll post the answer. It's the name of the greatest battle in the history of Lithuania.

[Image: Grunwald_bitwa.jpg]

The Battle of Grunwald took place on July 15 1410 between the Kingdom of Poland, the Grand Duchy of Lithuania and their allies on one side, and the Knights of the Teutonic Order on the other. It was the decisive battle of the Polish-Lithuanian-Teutonic War (1409-1411). The Teutonic Order state was defeated in the battle and never recovered its former influence.

The few eyewitness accounts of the battle are contradictory. The battle was fought in the plains between the now Polish villages of Grunwald (Žalgiris in Lithuanian), St?bark (Tannenberg in German) and Lodwigowo (Ludwigsdorf in German) in what was then Teutonic Order territory. The nearest city of any size was D?browno (Gilgenburg in German). The names Žalgiris (from Lithuanian: Žalia giria) and Grunwald (from German: gruner Wald), are both tentatively translated as Green forest. It was also named in OldPolish as Zielone Pole (Polish Green feld) and German Grunenfelde, Grunefeld Green feld in the oldest texts.

The battle is also called Žalgirio mūšis (Battle of Žalgiris) by Lithuanians, Bitwa pod Grunwaldem (Battle of Grunwald) by Poles, Schlacht bei Tannenberg (Battle of Tannenberg/Stebark) by Germans, Grunwald sugisi by Tatars.
cool never would have guessed that

Is there going to be a new question?
An easy question. Which NBA player had a nickname "the mailman"?
i think it was carl malone

cause he always delivered
Actually it's Karl Malone with "K" but your answer is correct. You can post up your question now.
good point most have slipped through the proofs

who has won MVP most in the NBA?
good question with the mailman Smile

Multiple Winners

6 - Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
5 - Michael Jordan
5 - Bill Russell
4 - Wilt Chamberlain
3 - Larry Bird
3 - Magic Johnson
3 - Moses Malone
2 - Tim Duncan
2 - Karl Malone
2 - Bob Pettit

2004-05 - Steve Nash, Phoenix
2003-04 - Kevin Garnett, Minnesota
2002-03 - Tim Duncan, San Antonio
2001-02 - Tim Duncan, San Antonio
2000-01 - Allen Iverson, Philadelphia
1999-00 - Shaquille O'Neal, Los Angeles Lakers
1998-99 - Karl Malone, Utah
1997-98 - Michael Jordan, Chicago
1996-97 - Karl Malone, Utah
1995-96 - Michael Jordan, Chicago
1994-95 - David Robinson, San Antonio
1993-94 - Hakeem Olajuwon, Houston
1992-93 - Charles Barkley, Phoenix
1991-92 - Michael Jordan, Chicago

intresting facts Smile
well i suppose u answered the question Biggrin well done and very good facts
Since there hasn't been any questions for a while, I'll post some

1 - In which olympic games did the USSR defeat the USA after a controversial rally?

2 - Name 2 of the 3 teams taht have won more European Championships

3 - Sabonis and Petrovic were two of the greatest players Europe has seen. They met way too many times with Cibona v Zalgiris or Yugoslvia v USSR, for example. But they sahred two teams in their carrers. Which?
Good question there Diego Thup I am not sure about them all but I'll try to make a guess.

1. I think it was Seoul. I really new it but cant't remember now and I don't want to search on Google.

2. Do you mean most championships? USSR and Yugoslavia.

3. Blazers and Real Madrid?
1 - Seoul was a fair defeat. There's a very very famous one some years before

2 - I meant clubs, but for national sides that's right

3 - Correct!

That makes 1 and a half
1 As I remeber it should be in 1972 Smile I counted back from 2004 Olympics. I should be right Smile

2. Most time winners are USSR players. Second goes Yugoslavia and than Lithuania i think Smile

3 hm maybe Real Madrid and Blazers?
wrong with second question so Real Madrid for sure and second maybe Milano Olimpia or Stefanel later it was called now it's Armani Jeans Baby
1 - Yes, it was 1972

2 - Real Madrid still have the record with 8, so there you are right. The other team is wrong but you have the right country

3 - It is correct, Blazers and Real Madrid
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6