TalkBasket.net Basketball Forums

Full Version: Team news
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Well it's time to recover some thread that we have lost because of a server move.

Lithuania NT candidates list has been slightly changed because of some injuries and coach decided to take other players.

First Team

Simas Jasaitis
Šarūnas Jasikevičius
Robertas Javtokas
Žydrūnas Ilgauskas
Rimantas Kaukėnas
Linas Kleiza
Darjušas Lavrinovičius
Kšyštofas Lavrinovičius
Arvydas Macijauskas
Ramūnas Šiškauskas
Donatas Slanina
Darius Songaila

Reserve Team

Rolandas Alijevas
Michailas Anisimovas
Steponas Babrauskas
Tomas Delininkaitis
Tomas Gaidamavičius
Giedrius Gustas
Paulius Jankūnas
Vytenis Jasikevičius
Mantas Kalnietis
Antanas Kavaliauskas
Giedrius Kurtinaitis
Jonas Mačiulis
Darius Pakamanis
Marius Prekevičius
Renaldas Seibutis
Justas Sinica
Vytautas Šarakauskas
Darius Šilinskis
Garbajosa Focusing On Rehab

Toronto Raptors forward Jorge Garbajosa is trying to block out thoughts of EuroBasket 2007 and instead focus on his rehabilitation from ankle surgery.

Otherwise, the 6-9 power forward knows he could be setting himself up for a colossal disappointment if he fails to recover in time to represent his country on home soil.

"The recovery process is hard but not a day has gone by where I haven't felt some

Garbajosa was having an excellent rookie year with the Raptors before injuring his ankle.

improvement or taken a step forward," Garbajosa said.

"I really hope the day comes when I can think about the EuroBasket but I know I have to be cautious."

Garbajosa was enjoying a fine rookie season in the NBA when he suffered the worst injury of his career at the end of March.

The 29-year-old fell awkwardly in a game against the Boston Celtics and was forced out of the remainder of the campaign.

He missed the last 12 games of the regular season and the first round play-off series against New Jersey, which the Nets won 4-2, but still managed to earn NBA All-Rookie team honours.

Spain coach Pepu Hernandez immediately announced he was giving Garbajosa additional time to recover and that was no surprise.

Garbajosa was awesome last year with Spain at the FIBA World Championship when he was named to the All-Tournament team.

He was 6-of-11 from 3-point range and finished with 20 points and 10 rebounds in the 70-47 win over Greece in the title game.

"To have heard Pepu Hernandez say that he will wait longer for me to recover makes me very proud," he said.

"It made me very emotional. I have always said to Pepu and to the federation that my biggest wish is to be with them at the EuroBasket and it's true that I could have a slower recovery and work with more calmness but I am doing this because I want to."

Garbajosa's rehab is taking place in Madrid, under the guidance of Raptors physiotherapist Ray Chow.

Joaquin Juan, who helped Pau Gasol recover from the foot injury he suffered last summer at the World Championship, is also helping Garbajosa.

"I haven't stopped since I arrived in Spain," he said.

"I already had my holidays when I had my foot immobilised in Toronto and now the time has come to work really hard to recover."

At the EuroBasket, Spain will in Group B in Seville with Croatia, Portugal and Latvia.
Mickael Gelabale has accepted, with gritted teeth, Claude Bergeaud's decision not to include him in France's 14-man preliminary squad for EuroBasket 2007.

Gelabale, who just completed his rookie campaign in the NBA with the Seattle Supersonics, was named as a replacement along with Golden State Warriors shooting guard Mickael Pietrus.

The two played on the French team that won a bronze medal at EuroBasket 2005 in Belgrade, and also the side that finished fifth at last year's FIBA World Championship in Japan.

"I was surprised and disappointed," Gelabale said to L'Equipe.

"Claude told me last Saturday. I am trying to understand but I admit that, having listened to what he said to me, it isn't easy."

Nevertheless, the 24-year-old is frustrated at being passed over for SLU Nancy's Tariq Kirksay.

Gelabale said: "He (Bergeaud) has always spoken about playing as a team and about youngsters, but then he takes a 30-year-old naturalised American (he is talking about Kirksay, who is actually 27)! I am now going to get ready for next season."

Bergeaud admitted he did struggle to make up his mind on Gelabale.

"This was the trickiest decision, because he has given an athletic dimension to this team," Bergeaud said.

"But we are lacking players who are capable of being creative.

"However, Tarik Kirksay comes into this category and corresponds to the mentality of our squad.

"Therefore, he comes in for Mickael Gelabale, and it was easier to give a chance to Yakhouba Diawara (Denver Nuggets), who can play in three positions and has great defensive qualities."

The decision not to include Johan Petro of Seattle was easy for Bergeaud.

"He wants to play a major role that I can't guarantee him," Bergeaud said.

"Because in my eyes, he is currently behind Fred Weis (Bilbao), who is above him in the context of the international game, and behind Ronny Turiaf in the pivot."

Bergeaud also questioned Petro's work ethic.

"Last year, he stood about and did not play the role of energiser which, on the other hand, we can give to Ian Mahinmi (Pau Orthez).
Slovenia forward Bostjan Nachbar has decided not to play at EuroBasket 2007 and will instead focus on performing well in the last year of his contract with the New Jersey Nets.

The 26-year-old just completed one of his finest seasons in the NBA since joining the Houston Rockets as a rookie in 2002.

In 2006-07, the 205 cm Nachbar played in 76 regular season games and averaged career highs in points (9.2), field goal percentage (45.7) and rebounds (3.3).

Nachbar has been a mainstay in the Slovenia squad along with fellow NBA players Rasho Nesterovic and Primoz Brezec, and Europe-based stars Sani Becirovic, Jaka Lakovic and Marko Milic.

But he said: "After being included in six of the last seven groups of players that participated on the last big competitions - I only skipped playing for the national team the year I was drafted for the NBA and had to have a hernia operation - I have now decided not to accept the invitation to participate in EuroBasket 2007.

"I would like to point out that this has nothing to do with the (national team) coach Ales Pipan, who has done a lot of good things for me and my career, or any other member of the national team - as some suggest."

Instead, Nachbar said he is putting his career first.

"I have decided this way only because my contract in the NBA will expire next season," he said.

"That means that the season in front of me will be the most important in my career. I cannot afford to start the season, after which I will be able to sign a new contract of up to five years, tired or unprepared."

Nachbar's absence is a blow as Slovenia are already without two other frontline players in Milic and Brezec.

Milic is recovering from injury while Brezec is resting this summer to prepare for next season with the Charlotte Bobcats.

He reported for duty with the Charlotte last year suffering from exhaustion and ultimately missed a lot of games.

"I am very sorry to withdraw, as a European or World Championship is always a great experience for players and fans," Nachbar said.

"But I had to be fair to myself and give the advantage to my career.

"Now I will follow my friends through TV and I'm sure the Slovenian team still has the quality to achieve the seventh place and with that qualifications for the Olympic Games."

The top two places at the EuroBasket qualify for the Beijing Olympics - other than hosts Spain, who booked their place in China by winning the FIBA World Championship.

The next four places will have the opportunity to play in the additional Olympic qualifying tournament next year.

"I can confirm that I will again join the national team after this EuroBasket," Nachbar said.
Žydrūnas Ilgauskas has confirmed that he will not play for NT once again. He wants to spend the summer with his wife.
Why doesn't Lithuanian Federation just ban him from the NT for good.

This way there won't be a serial every summer as whether he will play or not. People like that piss me off, they play when they need attention, scouts to watch them, better contract to win but when they get some $$$ in their hands they f*ck it all.

So does this mean Javtokas will see his playing time increase?
I don't blame Ilgas this time. He had a tragedy in his family. His family was pregnant and lost twins. Jasikevičius told to the media a month or so ago that he and Ilgauskas were talking about playing for NT in Eurobasket. Ilgauskas was prepared to play but after this tragedy he changed his mind.

All the years before he didn't play because of his numerous foot injuries and operations. However he was alright for a few seasons and no big injuries and could surely come and play. Obviously he didn't want to risk getting injured. But on the other hand you might get injured just by walking down the street. I am not even talking about the pride representing your country. But he had different opinion and if he read at least some angry comments that were everywhere they didn't encourage him to play for sure.

Javtokas will get some minutes anyway. His form is very important. I think it is hard to maintain a good form when you sit on the bench for so long. Of course it also depends on the coach what players he sees as the best suitable.
Quote:I don't blame Ilgas this time. He had a tragedy in his family. His family was pregnant and lost twins. Jasikevi?ius told to the media a month or so ago that he and Ilgauskas were talking about playing for NT in Eurobasket. Ilgauskas was prepared to play but after this tragedy he changed his mind.

All the years before he didn't play because of his numerous foot injuries and operations. However he was alright for a few seasons and no big injuries and could surely come and play. Obviously he didn't want to risk getting injured. But on the other hand you might get injured just by walking down the street. I am not even talking about the pride representing your country. But he had different opinion and if he read at least some angry comments that were everywhere they didn't encourage him to play for sure.

Javtokas will get some minutes anyway. His form is very important. I think it is hard to maintain a good form when you sit on the bench for so long. Of course it also depends on the coach what players he sees as the best suitable.

Vilius,

don't you think Maciulis will play this summer? If not why? Hasn't he had a good enough season, or the returning of Jasi will influence the squad choice. Or does the coach think, after playing for the u-21 team, he'd be tired and won't be able fully perform?

The reason I'm askin' these questions are, he is linked with us, Fenerbahce, now, according to some boards in Turkiye.
Quote:Vilius,

don't you think Maciulis will play this summer? If not why? Hasn't he had a good enough season, or the returning of Jasi will influence the squad choice. Or does the coach think, after playing for the u-21 team, he'd be tired and won't be able fully perform?

The reason I'm askin' these questions are, he is linked with us,Fenerbahce, now, according to some boards in Turkiye.

Mačiulis had a great season until the spring. His performances were not so impressive in the end of the season. I think he should be included but Ramūnas Butautas has a differenet opinion. The return of Šaras has no influence on this because Mačiulis is SF. He can make some rush decisions and is very emotional. He is active on the floor and tries to penetrate.

I haven't heard anything about these rumours. It sounds interesting. I'd prefer him to stay though.
Dragan Tarlac, former Olympiakos, Chicago Bulls, Real Madrid and CSKA among other player has been appointed as the General Manager of Serbia NT.

He has won the Eirobasket of 1999 and 2001 playing for Serbia.
From uk.eurosport.yahoo.com

Serbia - Jaric happy to be back

Minnesota Timberwolves' guard Marko Jaric says he is happy to be back on international duty as Serbia make their final preparations for this year's FIBA EuroBasket.

Jaric, who missed on the FIBA World Championship last year after a disappointing 2005 EuroBasket, will make his first appearance for new coach Zoran Slavnic at the 2007 edition of the tournament in Spain later this year.

And the 28-year-old is delighted to have found himself back in the international fold and strongly believes Serbia can do well despite having been drawn with defending champions Greece.

"It is great to be back," Jaric told FIBA's official website. "I wasn't called last year for Japan, and I wasn't even sure if there was a call, but I'm really glad I'm here once again.

"It will be a great task for all of us, as many teams will come to Spain with high ambitions. We will have the same attitude.

"It won't be easy, one game can send you to the top or send you home, but we'll do our best to fulfil the expectations of our nation."

Along with Greece, Serbia will contest Group A with Russia and the eventual winners of the qualifying tournament.

EuroBasket begins on 3 September.
Well it is official that Žydrūnas Ilgauskas will not play in Eurobasket. More worrying is that Arvydas Macijauskas said he is not ready to play for NT and wants to spend the summer for recovering. He didn't say "no" yet. Head coach Ramūnas Butautas said that Macas will be given the best possible conditions to prepare for Eurobasket. He will train with NT but will have individual training program. I really hope that Macas will be ready for Eurobasket.
Milan Gurovic will play for Serbia eventually, in fact he will be their captain.

I think that Yiannakis will announce Greek team tomorrow...
Carlo Recalcati named 18 players for Italy squad.

Andrea Bargnani (Raptors, NBA)
Gianluca Basile (Winterthur FCB, Spain)
Marco Belinelli (Warriors, NBA)
Massimo Bulleri (Armani Jeans, Italy)
Andrea Crosariol (Fairleigh Dickinson, NCAA)
Fabio Di Bella (Virtus, Italy)
Giacomo Galanda (Whirpool, Italy)
Danilo Gallinari (Armani Jeans, Italy)
Angelo Gigli (Benetton, Italy)
Daniel Hackett (USC, NCAA)
Stefano Mancinelli (Climamio, Italy)
Denis Marconato (Winterthur FCB, Spain)
Giuliano Maresca (Montegranaro, Italy)
Marco Mordente (Benetton, Italy)
Tom Ress (Bipop Carire, Italy)
Richard Rocca (Eldo Basket, Italy)
Matteo Soragna (Benetton, Italy)
Luca Vitali (Premiate, Italy)
Portugal NT coach Valentyn Melnychuk has made the first two cuts, guard José Costa and centre Nuno Cortez won't play in Eurobasket. The last decision left is whether Carlos Andrade or João Gomes will play (both are naturalised).
Garbajosa is out for Spain. The Raptors won't allow him to play.
Erdogan is out for Turkey due to knee injury, and probably Fotsis is out for Greece too...
Both losses are really serious. However I do think that Erdogan is more important player for Turkey than Fotsis for Greece.

Sven Schutlze will not play in Eurobasket due to heart problems.
Quote:Sven Schutlze will not play in Eurobasket due to heart problems.

Bauermann called veteran Stephen Arigbabu.

Meanwhile, Portugal NT coach revealed yesterday the final list of 12 players:

Filipe da Silva - (193cm, 1979, Los Barrios (LEB ) - Spain)
Miguel Minhava - (196cm, 1983, Benfica (Proliga) - Portugal)
Mario Fernandes - (174cm, 1982, Plasencia (LEB Plata) - Spain)
Paulo Simao - (200cm, 1976, Belenenses (LCB ) - Portugal)
Paulo Cunha - (199cm, 1980, Porto (LCB ) - Portugal)
Sergio Ramos - (200cm, 1975, Inca (LEB ) - Spain)
Joao "Betinho" Gomes - (198cm, 1985, Barreirense (LCB ) - Portugal)
Joao Santos - (204cm, 1979, Valladolid (ACB ) - Spain)
Francisco Jordao - (200cm, 1979, 1º de Agosto€œ Angola)
Miguel Miranda - (205cm, 1978, Ovarense (LCB ) - Portugal)
Elvis Evora - (205cm, 1978, Ovarense (LCB ) - Portugal)
Jorge Coelho - (202cm, 1978, Palencia (LEB Plata) - Spain)
You have player who plays in Angola in your NT? I have read an article about Portuguese NT in sports journal where all the Eurobasket teams were presented and I am really impressed how your team managed to qualify to Eurobasket. I will probably won't get a chance to see them playing. Hopefully they can make some upsets like winning against Spain Rolleyes
Pages: 1 2