TalkBasket.net Basketball Forums

Full Version: British Basketball Association
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
[Image: BBLlogo.gif]

This is like the main league over in Britian, there are also separate leagues in each of the countries in Britian, but like I have said this is the main one.

Everton Tigers are a new team to hit the BBL for next season, which is only about an hour or so away from me, so I may have found a team to support!

Quote:The British Basketball League will feature its first-ever team from Merseyside in the 2007-08 season.

Everton Tigers have their origins in the long-standing Toxteth Tigers club and are associated with Everton FC through its community scheme.

BBL chairman Paul Blake said: "What impressed us most about the club was their community commitment.

"They are also based in one of the UK's major cities with a great sporting heritage. We wish them all the best."

Head coach Henry Mooney, a former England men's team assistant coach, said: "This is an exciting new initiative to provide professional basketball linked to community regeneration.

"It will provide opportunities for local players to develop through Everton Tigers and the Basketball Academy."

Birmingham Panthers and London Capital also will join for the 2007/2008 season, and Brighton Cougars will join for the 2008/2009 season.
Any teams will play in ULEB Cup?
Yes, looking at a post by Vilius in that section there is to be team(s) from England in the ULEB cup, how many I am not sure on.

Also I presume the teams will be chosen from this league, or they could be picked from Basketball England/Scotland, but BBL is the main league in the UK so I guess they will be picked from this league.
Quote:London Capital have named ex-England international and Los Angeles Laker Steve Bucknall as coach for their first British Basketball League season.

In 1989, Bucknall became the first English player in the NBA. He won 98 England caps and collected a bronze medal at the 2006 Commonwealth Games

Bucknall, 41, retired last season while playing for Leicester Riders and is now looking forward to his fresh challenge.

He said: "I want to put a good product on the floor that the fans enjoy."
A positive move for the club. Maybe you could give us more info about their players?
Hopefully I will be going to Surrey University in september, which is in Guilford - unsurprisingly the home of Guilford Heat who I've heard are in the ULEB next season.

I'll definately be looking to get to a few of their games if I end up there.
Are there any news about other British teams planning to play in FIBA Eurocup? Or will it be only Guildford Heat playing in Europe?
Only the Heat will play in Europe this year. The spots in the FIBA Cup might have been offered a little too late for clubs in uk to prepare.

The BBL is trying to expand and improve internally first with the second step more teams playing in Europe

Another team might join Guildford in 08/09

More teams than ever will be playing in nice Arenas in the season after next Smile
I see. Thanks for information. Speaking about arenas. What arenas do British clubs have (number of seats, general quality etc.)?
A round up of news in the BBL:

BBL champions Guildford have signed two-time BBL Player of the Season Tony Dorsey as they gear up for the new campaign at home and in Europe.

The power foward, 37, who joins from Newcastle, is one of most experienced players in the BBL and adds to the Heat's free-throw shooting strength.

Newcastle Eagles have signed Great Britain point guard Richard Midgley for the forthcoming season.

Midgley, 24, who hails from Brighton, spent four successful seasons at the University of California.

BBL championships holders Guildford have signed 6ft 7in power forward Chi Lewis-Parry ahead of the new season.

The 23-year-old from south-west London played last season with BBL newcomers London Capital after coming through the youth system at London Towers.
Another small round up:

Quote:BBL champions Guildford Heat have signed point and shooting guard James Jones straight out of college.

The 23-year-old joins from Whitworth University, Spokane, where he was a Northwestern Conference All-Star.

Born in Manchester, Jones is the son of Manchester Magic coach Jeff Jones, a former professional player himself.

Quote:Nigerian-born guard Lekan Popoola has joined new BBL Championship outfit the Birmingham Panthers.

The 26-year-old has been involved with successful clubs over the last two years, playing with the Guildford Heat and Sheffield Sharks.

Quote:BBL outfit Cheshire Jets have completed the signing of Marc Pratt who featured for Great Britain at the 2005 World University Games.

The London-born 6ft 4in guard looks set to join new Jets player-coach TJ Walker and Jayson Obazuaye in the backcourt.
Quote:The British Basketball Association, or BBA for short, is a proposed professional basketball league in the United Kingdom.

Backed by a group of American and UK investors, including NBA legend A.C. Green, technology entrepreneur Ken Olisa and Wall Street veteran Ron Scott. The BBA will go head-to-head with the long-established British Basketball League for the title of Britain's top professional basketball league. The foundations of the new league are still being put into place, but it has already been announced that the inaugural season is to tip-off in November 2007, with a 10-team line-up which includes the Coventry Crusaders[1] and Birmingham Athletics[2].

According to a press release of May 4th, 2007 on the EBL website [3] Coventry Crusaders will play in the EBL Division One for the 2007/2008 season.

Stupid fucking idea tbh. Was talking to Vilius about this over MSN and it's pretty much only greed and money driving this forward. If they cared about British basketball whatsoever, they would use their money to help the BBL grow and become stronger against its European counterparts. Instead, they are trying to rival it, most likely in the hope of taking it down, which means years of going nowhere before one prevails. When that happens, we'll most likely be in the same position we are now, just years down the line which is pointless.
What a ridiculous idea. Thudown

We as a Nation are trying to get Basketball big in this part of the world, and then they go and make another Flaming league, I for one will be sticking with the BBL, the BBA can get stuffed.
Quote:A housing firm has stepped in to save an ailing Leicestershire basketball team by agreeing to sponsor the club.

Cash-strapped Leicester Riders said the club would be sponsored by Jelson Homes for the next year.

Supporters had feared the club might be forced to drop out of the 13-team British Basketball League (BBL).

Club spokesman Dan Routledge said: "We now have the task of building a club in a month before the start of the season."

"We hope this will allow us to build more stability at the club so we don't have the same problem next year," he said.

The BBL season starts on 22 September.

The deal will allow for the establishment of a community development programme which is integral to the team's long-term future, a statement from the BBL said.

"This has turned out to be a fantastic week for the club," Riders spokesman Mike Steptoe said.

"The response we got from our supporters has been brilliant and we will continue to need that commitment from them in the year ahead."

The club was a founder member of the national league in 1972 and the BBL in 1987.

Good to see someone stepping up and saving the team.

Thup
Quote:What a ridiculous idea. <Thudown

We as a Nation are trying to get Basketball big in this part of the world, and then they go and make another Flaming league, I for one will be sticking with the BBL, the BBA can get stuffed.

Agreed, although if the BBA features a team from Reading then I might be swayed... Laugh
Laugh

Forgot that will mean there are 3 leagues now isn't there?

BBA
BBL
Basketball England (or whatever its called)
The English Basketball League is kinda like the second division below the BBL, but only in a quality sense as there is no promotion from it to the BBL because of the fact that the BBL is a franchise league and the EBL is not. Teams from the EBL can only gain entry into the BBL via application I believe.
I hear very little mention of Plymouth Raiders these days....apart from being branded as "unfashionable". Currently third in the BBL and showing signs of only improving I think we honestly have a run at the title this year.

Currentl your first string point gurd is returning from an Achiles injury which has sidelined hom for the entire season. With his reutrun it can only be good. Drew Lasker lighting it up, DeAntione Beasley being the usual do it all MVP, Terrance Durham finally adjusting after two season s in France and beginning to eat up opposing big men, and various bench players finally adding great depth which Raiders has always seemed to have a fear of.

I gaurantee you that another season with this team will result in titles.
Latest Table:

1 Newcastle 14 12 2 24
2 Milton Keynes 17 12 5 24
3 Plymouth 15 10 5 20
4 Guildford 12 9 3 18
5 Scottish Rocks 14 8 6 16
6 Sheffield 15 8 7 16
7 Everton 15 7 8 14
8 Leicester 17 7 10 14
9 Cheshire 15 5 10 10
10 Worcester 16 5 11 10
11 London Capital 17 5 12 10
12 Birmingham 15 3 12 6

Obviously new teams London Capital and Birmingham Panthers aren't doing so well yet!
I went to see ''the scottish rocks'' Basketball at Braehead, they are a good team. Thup They should be higher in the league, in my opinion.

Team P W L Pt

Newcastle Eagles 15 12 3 24
Marshall MK Lions 17 12 5 24
Poujoulat Heat Guildford 13 10 3 20
Kularoos Plymouth Raiders 15 10 5 20
SAMG Verve Scottish Rocks 14 8 6 16
Everton Tigers 16 8 8 16
Sheffield Sharks 16 8 8 16
DMU Leicester Riders 17 7 10 14
Worcester Wolves 18 6 12 12
BiG Storage Cheshire Jets 15 5 10 10
PAWS London Capital 17 5 12 10