TalkBasket.net Basketball Forums

Full Version: The Shortest?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

Everyone knows that in basketball is all about height.

But I'm sure there is room for shotryz like me Biggrin

So can someone tell who is the shortest player in the world at the moment? Laugh
The most famous shorty is Earl Boykins from Milwaukee Bucks. His height is only 5'5"/1,65m but he is a good player and scores 20 or so points often. Last season he averaged 14.6 points per game. http://www.nba.com/playerfile/earl_boykins
In the 80s there was Spud Webb who played for Atlanta Hawkes and was able to do dunks. He won the contest once, ahead of his team mate Dominique Wilkins, who was in truth the best dunker until Michael Jordan appeared

I care to remember in the World Championhips in 1985 the USA had Tyrone Bogues, but I may be wrong. He then went to play for Charlotte Hornets. I may be talking about 2 different guys, though
[Image: bol_bogues_195.jpg]

yrone Curtis Bogues (born January 9, 1965, in Baltimore, Maryland), better known as Muggsy Bogues, is a retired American professional basketball point guard and former head coach of the now-defunct Charlotte Sting of the Women's National Basketball Association (WNBA). He played for five teams during his 14-season career in the National Basketball Association (NBA) and was the shortest person to play in the NBA, standing at 5 feet 3 inches tall. Bogues is best known for his involvement with the Charlotte Hornets. He also played for the Washington Bullets, Golden State Warriors, New York Knicks, and the Toronto Raptors.NBA

Bogues was drafted twelfth overall in the 1987 NBA Draft by the Washington Bullets, and was part of a talent-laden draft class that also included David Robinson, Reggie Miller, Scottie Pippen and Kevin Johnson. In his rookie year, Bogues was a teammate of Manute Bol who stands at 7 feet 7 inches (231 cm) tall, at the time he was the tallest player to have ever played in the NBA. Bol and Bogues appeared on three magazine covers together.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lcMlnp5O2Ls&eurl

[Image: spudwebb.jpg]

Spud Webb-Standing at 5 feet 7 inches (168 cm) tall,[1] after graduating from high school he was not recruited by most colleges mainly due to his size.

Finally he attended Midland Junior College (in Midland, Texas) where he led his team to the junior college national title in 1982.

Webb attracted the attention of Tom Abatemarco, an assistant coach at North Carolina State University, who arranged for Webb to meet head coach Jim Valvano, who offered Webb a scholarship. In two years at N.C. State, Spud averaged 10.4 points and 5.7 assists per game.

He was then drafted in the 4th round of the 1985 NBA Draft by the Detroit Pistons. His first six seasons were played with the Atlanta Hawks, but he had his best years statistically with the Sacramento Kings, where he played as a starter from 1992-1995. He then split a season between the Atlanta Hawks and the Minnesota Timberwolves before finishing his career after one season with the Orlando Magic and retiring from basketball in 1998. He averaged 9.9 points per game in 12 seasons.

Webb was the third shortest player to play in the NBA. Only Earl Boykins and Muggsy Bogues were shorter.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JILq5kDjZiM&eurl

[Image: shaq.jpg]

Earl Boykins-Boykins has played in the NBA with the Cleveland Cavaliers, New Jersey Nets, Orlando Magic, Los Angeles Clippers, Golden State Warriors, Denver Nuggets, kcm, Milwaukee Bucks, and now the Charlotte Bobcats. He also spent two years in the Continental Basketball Association (CBA), where he played for the Rockford Lightning. At 5 ft 5 in (1.65 m), Boykins is the shortest active NBA player and the second shortest player in NBA history behind Muggsy Bogues, who was 5'3" (1.60 m). Earl Boykins weighs only 133 pounds (60 kg) but according to various sources he can max-out on bench press at 310 pounds. Boykins is the shortest player in the history of the NBA to score over 30 points in a game—a number he has reached several times, with his career high being 36.After bouncing around with various teams around the league in a limited reserve role for his first five years in the NBA, Boykins finally earned a guaranteed contract with the Denver Nuggets in 2003, signing a 5 year $13.7 million dollar deal, with the fifth year being a player option. Boykins's role is typically to come off the bench to inject energy into his team's offense. He is one of the quickest guards in the league, and pairs this with a very fast shooting motion, which allows him to get shots off against much taller defenders. His ability to score off the bench along with his low-to-the-floor stature gained him the moniker "the Double-Digit Midget".

Boykins' NBA career has solidified in recent years in part due to the recent change in rules allowing some forms of zone defense. Boykins' teams had feared playing Boykins, because opponents could exploit his size by trying to post him up. But with the gradual increase in the use of modified zone defenses in the last few years, fewer situations arise where Boykins is isolated alone defending a taller player in the painted area. Moreover, since few point guards in the league have polished post-up moves as part of their offensive repertoire, opposing teams are generally reluctant to abandon their usual offense in an effort to exploit Boykins' size.

Boykins competed twice in NBA All-Star Weekend; he finished third in 2003-04 and second in 2004-05 Skills Challenge. On January 18, 2005, Boykins set a then-NBA record for scoring in overtime when he tallied 15 points.[3] (Boykins's record was surpassed by Gilbert Arenas's 16 points in overtime on December 17, 2006[4].)

On January 11, 2007 Boykins was traded (along with Julius Hodge) to the Milwaukee Bucks for Steve Blake.[5] Following a successful campaign with the Bucks, where he averaged 14 points and 4.5 assists per game, Boykins decided to opt out of his contract and a guaranteed $3 million and become a free agent hoping to secure a long term deal with another team.[6] As the season started, Boykins had yet to find a team willing to match his price.[7]

On January 31st, 2008, the Bobcats signed Boykins to a deal for the remainder of the season.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H5INU0PX_Oo&eurl

Cool
Great job kosteposte ! Thup

The one that comes to my mind from this season's Euroleague is Roanne's Marc-Antoine Pellin who is shorter than 1.70...
thanks Cool
that earl boykins is the shortest that i know right now but i havent seen any international games so i dont know if there is anyone shorter than him playing now