TalkBasket.net Basketball Forums

Full Version: Group F
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
1. Lithuania 2/0 4
2. Slovenia 2/0 4
3. Germany 1/1 3
4. France 1/1 3
5. Italy 0/2 2
6. Turkey 0/2 2

Fixtures

Italy vs Lithuania
France vs Germany
Turkey vs Slovenia
France 78:66 Germany

France: Tony Parker 23, Tariq Kirks 12, Florent Pietrus 12, Ronny Turiaf 11, Borisas Diaw 7.
Germany: Dirk Nowitzki 28, Ademola Okulaja 14, Steffen Hamann 8, Johannes Herber 7.

Lithuania 79:74 Italy

Lithuania: Rimantas Kaukėnas, Šarūnas Jasikevičius 13, Darjušas Lavrinovičius 11, Darius Songaila 8, Linas Kleiza 8, Ramūnas Šiškauskas 7, Jonas Mačiulis 6, Kšyštofas Lavrinovičius 4.
Italy: Andrea Bargnani 15, Gianluca Basile 13, Denisas Marconato 10.

The hardest game for Lithuania so far. A slow start and then a very even game. We had 11 point lead but it was wasted soon. One of the main problems was poor shooting especially from 3-point zone. Players didn't look like themselves. Šarūnas Jasikevičius didn't feel good and was playing with the pain in his knee. Italy scored many easy points when our players let them penetrate to the basket without too many problems. Ramūnas Šiškauskas was also in bad shape making only 2 out of 8 shots. A win is a win and hopefully we will play better against France. They are always very tough opponent for us. It should even more difficult match but I hope Lithuania will take control and we will secure one more win.
Another (laborious) win for us. The positive side is that we won. The negative - it was harder than it should have been. Which is the second such victory in a row. Of course I'd rather we won such matches but it would be nice to be doing so more comfortably.

Kaukenas had a great game, being by far the highest scorer and having a 90% success rate. Jasikevicius seemed to be struggling towards the end, though. Physically. He was still the highest assister and was second overall in terms of points, but his knee was troubling him.

In any case, next up, in a day's time, is France who have done quite well so far. Although, as I understand it, we have qualified for the quarter-finals. Of course, it would be much better to finish high up (and not lose, either.)
Lithuania 88:73 France

Pretty good game. Again, not much to say - everyone played pretty well, although - annoyingly, there was a dip in quality and dedication which allowed France back into the game, though luckily, it didn't cost us. Against fiercer opposition, it may just end up crucial.

Good games for most of the team, and as usual for Lithuania - there is no 30-point scorer, with points being distributed amongst the players, on this day they are Siskauskas (on his birthday), Songaila, Jasaitis, Jasikevicius.

Two days time - Slovenia. The only other team with a perfect record, they lead the group due to points difference (I presume) and it will be quite a match. I'm sure it will be close - Slovenia haven't scored as many points on average, but have conceded less, too. Although that is also down to Germany only shooting 28% in the last game and losing by 30. Slovenia have scored 69.75 points on average, while Lithuania have 84.25. That would indicate that Lithuania may be slight favourites, but there are many other stats to look at. As always, I shall look forward to it.
Tony Parker is French!?

God damn, I think I like him a little less now! Laugh
Hello guys

It has taken me ages to be able to log back in, and even then I had to re-register.

So, my views on this. Lithuania have looked like the best side in this group tournament. The rest have been rather average. Germany depend on Nowitzki only a bit more than France relay on Parker. Italy and Turkey have been disappointing... but Slovenia have been a fresh surprise. Who would have said that Slovenia would turn into the best ex-Yugoslavian side, when Croatia and Serbia have been so good since the country broke.

No surprise with Lithuania and Russia being the best sides of the former Soviet Union.

Anyway, back to business.

Lithuania will top this group. Slovenia will be second... France should be third and I presume Italy will beat Germany for fourth.

I somehow feel only Lithuania will win their quarter final of this lot
Hey Diego, I already welcomed you in Group E thread Smile

First of all I'd like to post my views on a game against France. Everyone (including me) expected a very tough game. After we beat Italy 79:74 in a very close game, France looked like a more serious opponent. We all know their athleticism and it was predicted that it will be their key. Lithuania never gave him control. Tony Parker scored only 11 points thanks to our great defence. French players cannot shoot from 3pt zone but they did make some shots in the 3rd quarter to cut our lead. It was good to see that Lithuanian players didn't get nervous and played calmly. Once again 20 point lead wasted but we didn't let France to take control of the game and slowly returned our lead. A very important win both psychologically and for the tournament standings.

Today is a group winner decider against Slovenia. Both teams play similar style of basketball. We are favourites and I hope that our players will prove that on the court.

Germany lost to Slovenia 47:77! I think they were overrated after silver in Eurobasket 2005. Maybe others will disagree but a team dragged by one player has no chances in any competition. They had right situation in 2005 and used it.
Slovenia 61:80 Lithuania

Slovenia: Jaka Lakovic 15, Matjaz Smodis 11.
Lithuania: Ramūnas Šiškauskas 21, Darius Songaila 17, Kšištof Lavrinovič 14, Rimantas Kaukėnas 11.

Quote:Lithuania

Ramūnas Šiškauskas: "We don't play a game over two quarters. We have to play a full 40 minutes. It's impossible to win a game in 10 or 20 minutes so we went step by step."

About difference in second half: "We didn't do anything really different but we improved our defense a bit from the first half I think and try to do what works for us on offense. And the result shows it worked."

"We have shooters, but we also try to get the ball inside. The most important part of the tournament is now with the game against Croatia. I haven't seen them play, but we will not underestimate them."

About Šarunas Jasikevičius' injury: "I hope he will be ok. He's played with different injuries."

Darius Songaila: "We are already happy with what we have achieved at the EuroBasket but Friday is the game for us and I hope it will be our day and we can beat Greece. The difference between this year and last is that we have Ramūnas (Šiškauskas) and Šaras."

Coach Butautas: "Thanks for Slovenia for a big fight and fairplay. They are a very talented team but young so in a few years they'll be very strong. In the first half we made a lot of mistakes in defense, and too many turnovers. The game was very tough for us. In the second half our defense looked better. We fought better under the basket, and won the game.

"Croatia is a very strong team. They showed that when they beat Spain and also in other games. They have a lot of good players with a very good coach, so we're waiting for a big challenge. We played in the preperation period without Jasikevičius and used Kaukėnas or Šiškauskas at the point guard. When Šaras can't play then we have Kaukė—nas and Šiškauskas to do that. Šarunas is very important for us, but we can play good without him."

Slovenia

Jaka Lakovic: "Lithuania is a very strong team and tonight they were simply better than us. In some situations we didn't react well. We stayed in the game until midway through the third quarter. They play team basketball, everybody is playing tough defense and strong offense."

"This result is not going to bring us down despite it being our first defeat of the tournament. Every game is different. If we look on the other hand we have won five games and we should find self-confidence and stay on the right track as we have done."

Matjaz Smodis: "We're just missing a little something. We're not a deep team, but maybe we just need a little more luck."

Goran Jagodnik: "In the first half we were very close and played good offense, but not so good defense. They scored a lot of three points in big percentages, and took some offensive rebounds that made a big difference. We must put our head up and try to do the best against Greece."

Coach Ales Pipan: "Congratulations to Lithuania for their victory, they deserved it. We played in the first half we allowed them to shot eight three pointers and we weren't aggressive on their shooters, and very bad on the rebound. Lithuania is a very good team with experienced players that punish you for your mistakes. Tomorrow is another day and the game on Friday with Greece is very important. Greece is still the champs. We played two friendly games against them but they mean nothing. Here it's another story. We have to prepare very well for that game and hope my players will do their best on court."

The first half was pretty close and we lost Å aras who got an injury. He didn't play in the second half and it was very important for the team to play well without him. And so they did. Our defence was really solid. I am obviously happy with the win. The main battle starts now.