TalkBasket.net Basketball Forums

Full Version: Favourites
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Let's start discussing early favourites of Beijing Olympics. The thread is called Early favourites because the squads are not known yet but I guess there's nothing wrong if we get a discussion going.
As much as I would like ton include Greece in the favorites, the fact is that Greece needs to qualify first through the pre-Olympic tournament... and honestly, things have not been really nice in Greece NT since last Eurobasket... too many rivalries... :dry:
Quote:Pau Gasol sees Argentina in Olympic final

NBA superstar Pau Gasol expressed his wish to play against Argentina in the final in Beijing Olympics according to espnstar.com Last time these two teams met was in 2006 World Championship's semi-final. That time it was Spain who ended up as the winners to take the gold eventually.

"If I was offered an Olympic final between Spain and Argentina, I would take it," Gasol told Argentinian newspaper Clarin.

"It would be a very even game as the World Championship game was two years ago.

"I truly don't know what Spain would have to do to beat Argentina. We are two very even teams.

"To beat them, we should play with tension, all players must be at 100% and play tough defence, fast attacking and send the ball into the basket.

"I hope we can play the gold medal game, but we must pass several obstacles before reaching the eventual decisive match."

Gasol sees USA as the main favourites but believes Olympic Games to be very even: "The United States are the big favourites to take gold.

"However, they have recently proved they are not invincible.

According to Pau Gasol there are five teams excluding United States that will be fighting for the medals: "Argentina, Greece, Russia, Lithuania and Spain will be the national teams to fight for the medals, but there is always a surprise.

"Argentina and Spain have proved they are now the best two national teams in the world. Both have clinched the best results, but we cannot guess what will happen in the future.

"Argentina already have a gold medal. We'll see if we can take it this year."

Despite being a key player in NBA, Pau Gasol is loyal to his country and comes to play every summer.

http://www.talkbasket.net/4680-pau-gasol...final.html
Odds from bwin:

USA 1.40
Spain 4.50
Greece 11.00
Argentina 11.00
Lithuania 16.00
Russia 21.00
Croatia 67.00
Germany 67.00
China 81.00
Australia 81.00
Angola 151.00
Iran 5001.00
I'm taking Iran all the way baby!
Spain, USA and Greece are on my list.
Sportingbet

USA 1/3
Spain 3/1
Argentina 9/1
Greece 12/1
Russia 18/1
Lithuania 25/1
China 66/1
Croatia 100/1
Germany 150/1
Australia 250/1
Angola 1000/1
Iran 2500/1

Group A winner according to Sportingbet

Argentina EVS
Russia 9/4
Lithuania 13/5
Croatia 18/1
Australia 22/1
Iran 500/1

Are they serious? I mean anything can happen but placing Lithuania 3rd?

Group B winner

USA 2/9
Spain 7/2
Greece 17/2
China 40/1
Germany 80/1
Angola 500/1
bwin

USA 1.10
Spain 9.00
Argentina 16.00
Greece 16.00
Lithuania 21.00
Croatia 101.00
China 101.00
Australia 251.00

Sportingbet

USA 1/11
Spain 9/1
Argentina 22/1
Greece 22/1
Lithuania 22/1
China 150/1
Croatia 200/1
Australia 300/1
Quote:Spain, USA and Greece are on my list.

Can I remove Greece and put Lithuania? Laugh