TalkBasket.net Basketball Forums

Full Version: World Club Championship to start in 2009
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Quote:[url="http://www.talkbasket.net/content/view/117/1/"]http://www.talkbasket.net/content/view/117/1/[/url]

The first World Club Championship should be held in October 2009. Seven clubs will represent each continent and will be joined by the host team. There will be two teams from Europe, two from Americas, one from Asia and one from Africa.

The cities interested in hosting the even will be able to bid from the June 2008. The 1st FIBA World Club Championship will be played over a five-day period in the third week of October 2009.

Well this is really interesting. If it will be champions of Euroleague, NBA, Asian league etc. then it would certainly be an exciting competition. And the winners could call themselves real World champions.

What are your views?
How does it work? Do we know from what leagues the teams will be coming from?
Not yet. But I guess that Europe would be represented by Euroleague finalists since there will be two European teams. North America should be represented by NBA champs. But I guess there might be excuses from them for not going and sending other team instead. We'll see.

Africa, Asia and South America should send continental champions too.

If the best teams from each continent are not coming to this competition then the winners could not be called World Champions.

As for competition system, it might start with quarter-finals with stronger teams facing weaker ones.
I'm going to assume that if the NBA champs did go, they'd destroy the competition.

The NBA is where the best players go, so that's the best of the best, against like, the best of the pretty good.

But the NBA champs are too lazy to go, they're American.
I agree with you straight face the nba does have the best and they are lazy and spoiled.
Marca reports that the first World Club Championship will be held in 2010 on the second week of October. Two China cities expressed interest in hosting such event Chengdu and Nanjing.

There will be 10 participating clubs in total. The champions of each continent, European and American finalists and a club which will receive FIBA invitation will take part in the competition.

The winner will receive $1.000.000
[quote name='"Vilius":18rktl35']Marca reports that the first World Club Championship will be held in 2010 on the second week of October. Two China cities expressed interest in hosting such event Chengdu and Nanjing.

There will be 10 participating clubs in total. The champions of each continent, European and American finalists and a club which will receive FIBA invitation will take part in the competition.

The winner will receive $1.000.000[/quote]

And the NBA champ will be invited starting in 2011.
Just another meaningless competition to waste time and money and exhaust players.
1º de Agosto will be at the championship as African champion.