TalkBasket.net Basketball Forums

Full Version: Quarter-finals
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
August 20

Spain vs. Croatia

Lithuania vs. China

Argentina vs. Greece

USA vs. Australia

Shall we see all the favourites winning? Except Arg - Gre because both teams are the same quality. It's good that even USA got a team that they beat with lowest margin in the friendly game (11 points). Then Aussies played without Bogut. So who knows what's gonna happen this time <!-- sRolleyes -->[img]{SMILIES_PATH}/rolleyes.gif[/img]<!-- sRolleyes -->
Go Lithuana! Go USA!!!!!
My bet:

Spain wins not very easily.

Lithuania wins struggling (China at home is tough one)

USA wins without problems

And the hardest one, Argentina wins I think.

Tomorrow I'll be at work, could be possible download the games? (torrent ro something else)
[quote name='"Kobester":1gpryuvd']Go Lithuana! Go USA!!!!![/quote]

Thanks for your support <!-- sSmile -->[img]{SMILIES_PATH}/smile.gif[/img]<!-- sSmile --> Who would you support if those teams meet in the final?

[quote name='"kanijo":1gpryuvd']Tomorrow I'll be at work, could be possible download the games? (torrent ro something else)[/quote]

Definatelly. Rikhardur should post links [url="http://http"]here[/url].

As I said in "Day 5" thread, I think China will give us a tough game. Tougher than it should be. Although we played 3 games against 3 strong teams where the winner was decided in the last quarter, I hope we will have a bigger lead against China. The team showed their strong psychology by winning those games but if we keep China within close range then one shot could be crucial. Our centers will have a tough time against Yao and Jianlian. Especially in rebounding. Javtokas and Petravicius were losing rebounds against smaller players. They should be much more active because now they just stand watch as the ball falls down before someone takes it right from their noses.

Croatia will do everything to win against the favourites Spain. I also think that if Spaniards don't have a comfortable lead in the end we could see Eurobasket 2007 replay.

Americans will try to continue destrying their opponents. I hope that Australia can resist them and if not win then at least keep the game open as long as possible.

I think Greece has more players in rotation than Argentina and this could be the key to win the game. On the other hand, Argentina is finding its game lately and is still a very dangerous team.
[quote name='"Vilius":3my4m8xu']Definatelly. Rikhardur should post links [url="http://http"]here[/url].[/quote]

Thanks, I'll check it!

[quote name='"Vilius":3my4m8xu']As I said in "Day 5" thread, I think China will give us a tough game. Tougher than it should be. Although we played 3 games against 3 strong teams where the winner was decided in the last quarter, I hope we will have a bigger lead against China. The team showed their strong psychology by winning those games but if we keep China within close range then one shot could be crucial. Our centers will have a tough time against Yao and Jianlian. Especially in rebounding. Javtokas and Petravicius were losing rebounds against smaller players. They should be much more active because now they just stand watch as the ball falls down before someone takes it right from their noses.[/quote]

Probably the best weapon for Lithuanians is their experience. China played pretty well versus Spain, but couldn't close the game and paid for it, they have no experience in high-level tournaments. China have a bunch of sharp-shooters, if they are inspired can kill you, Lithuania must be careful about perimeter defense. Another point for Lithuania is their advantage in SF position. Siskauskas and Kleiza can't be defended by any Chinese, specially driving to the basket or in low-post positions.

I'm sure that we will face Lithuania in semifinals <!-- sWink -->[img]{SMILIES_PATH}/wink.gif[/img]<!-- sWink -->
Marc Gasol might not play for the Spaniards and Popovi? will surely not play for Croatia. Planini? is also doubtful. It will not be easy for Spain, but I think they'll pull a win.

If everything goes as planned Lithuania should have no problems beating China. The same with USA.

As for Argentina vs Greece it'll be a great match I'm sure, tough to say who'll win, but I think Argentina will have the upper hand.
Spain 72:59 Croatia (22:11, 15:15, 14:12, 21:21)

So we now know the first semi-finalist. Poor shooting killed Croatia. Once again Spain defended well and forced their opponents to take difficult shots and they weren't getting in this time. A deserved win for Spain.
[quote name='"Vilius":3qj1llyo']Spain 72:59 Croatia (22:11, 15:15, 14:12, 21:21)

So we now know the first semi-finalist. Poor shooting killed Croatia. Once again Spain defended well and forced their opponents to take difficult shots and they weren't getting in this time. A deserved win for Spain.[/quote]

I expected a win pretty much harder but today Spain played a strong defense. I have to wait 24 years to see Spain again in Olympic semifinals, great moment for Spanish fans. Now... Go Lithuania, we are waiting for you in semis!!!
Lithuania 94:68 China (19:17, 22:13, 29:23, 24:15)

The beginning promised a very tough game for us but our defense turned it around. Very nice performance from Lithuania. I am really happy the way got through the quarter-final. Especially after a disaster against Australia. It's the fifth straight time that we are in the semis and maybe it's time to go further <!-- sRolleyes -->[img]{SMILIES_PATH}/rolleyes.gif[/img]<!-- sRolleyes --> Spain will be very strong.
USA 116:85 Australia (25:24, 30:19, 34:18, 27:24)

Argentina 80:78 Greece (22:23, 17:17, 17:15, 24:23)

Aussies looked scared under the basket in the first half. They wasted too many 100% chances. Then Americans did what they were doing in every other game so far.

I think everyone expected a great game between Argentina and Greece and I doubt that many were disappointed (unless they were Greek fans of course). For a neutral viewer it was top quality game.

So it's Lithuania vs. Spain and Argentina vs. USA in the semis.
Arg vs. US should be a really good game.

Yeah they were talking to Carmelo, and he said that the first time the margin was so small against Australia because the were experimenting with new schemes. At least that's what he said.