TalkBasket.net Basketball Forums

Full Version: Spanish NT: Eurobasket 2009
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Pau Gasol will decide if he takes part in next year's Eurobasket only after the end of the NBA season. He will ponder his physical condition and how he feels regarding other matters he didn't specify.
Scariolo is rumoured to be one of the candidates to take the NT coaching position.
Quote:Reyes: 'This Is Not The End, Spain Ambitious'

Felipe Reyes has a message for anyone who thinks that Spain may be losing some of their hunger for success ahead of next year's EuroBasket in Poland.

The Spanish have settled for silver medals in each of the past two summers (EuroBasket 2007 and 2008 Olympics) after winning gold at the 2006 FIBA World Championship, and after this year's Beijing Games, Los Angeles Lakers superstar Pau Gasol indicated he may not play next year although that is a decision he will make after the NBA season.

Reyes, the captain of Real Madrid and one of his team's star performers in China, said: "This is not the end because we are ambitious and we still haven´t conquered gold at a EuroBasket which is our next aim.

"People should be calm because we are young and we still have a lot to give to the national team until they (people) get tired of us."

Spain have some very important decisions coming up, with the most crucial being which man will take the reins of the national team.

The federation parted with Pepu Hernandez and replaced him with Aito Garcia Reneses, but he stepped down after Beijing to become coach of Unicaja Malaga.

Another big issue is the captaincy. Which player is best suited to replace Carlos Jimenez not only in the squad, but as captain. Reyes would appear to be a strong contender to lead the team, as well as Jose Calderon.

In terms of playing personnel, the Spanish are as deep and talented as ever, especially at the guard spots where Garcia Reneses had a difficult time finding playing time for each member of the backcourt.

A challenge that will face the new coach will be how to give the players enough playing time so they can show their worth.

This summer, Calderon, Ricky Rubio, Juan Carlos Navarro, Rudy Fernandez, Raul Lopez and Berni Rodriguez were all in the squad and each had to play less than they are accustomed to with their clubs.

Portland Trail Blazers guard Sergio Rodriguez did not even make the team though he is almost certain to return to the fray and Pamesa Valencia's emerging star Victor Claver will make the senior team soon.

Reyes does not think that will be a problem because there is so much camaraderie in the group.

"In our national team everyone knows his role," Reyes said.

"It´s easy to adapt to it because the players in the team are great individuals and that makes it easier for anyone to adapt. There´s a lot of unity and in that atmosphere you don´t complain about who plays more or less, that hasn´t happened so far. We all look forward to joining the national team to play with our friends, because it is two months of paid holiday!

"The great atmosphere comes from the past national teams and veteran players who were the ones that made it easier for all of us to adapt to the team. We were young in the EuroBasket in Turkey and thanks to them, we were able to adapt quickly and create a team. We have continued that tradition."

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.fibaeurope.com/coid_AS,wFUxVJzs,Vxfbf75qG0.articleMode_on.container_frontpage.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">[url="http://www.fibaeurope.com/coid_AS,wFUxV"]http://www.fibaeurope.com/coid_AS,wFUxV[/url] ... tpage.html</a><!-- m -->
Quote:Rudy, Jorge Boost For Spain

Rudy Fernandez and Jorge Garbajosa have underlined their commitment to Spain by announcing their intention to play at next summer's EuroBasket in Poland.

Fernandez was arguably the country's best player on this summer's silver-medal winning side in China and is now about to begin his rookie campaign with the Portland Trail Blazers.

"My engagement with the Spanish national team is complete," Fernandez said.

"For the time being in Portland, they have told me that they will not pose any problems for me to play with the national team.

"The national team has given me a lot of opportunities since the beginning and I don´t forget that."

Fernandez first appeared for the senior side at the 2004 Olympics and has been with the national team every summer since.

Garbajosa, meanwhile, who has overcome injury problems to play the last two summers with Spain, is now in Russia with BC Khimki.

"I am not considering renouncing to the national team," he said.

"To play with Spain, with the teammates that we have, gives me pride. If they call me to play at the EuroBasket, I will go as I have always done.

The Spanish are one of the hottest countries in men's basketball, with silver medals at EuroBasket 2003 and 2007, bronze in 2001, gold at the 2006 FIBA World Championship and silver at this summer's Olympics in Beijing.

[url="http://www.fibaeurope.com/coid_HGN8hbFSJWEqwvYy7MviB0.container_frontpage.articleMode_on.html"]http://www.fibaeurope.com/coid_HGN8hbFSJWE...cleMode_on.html[/url]
Scariolo is being constantly mentioned as the next coach for the NT. [url="http://http"]Rubio's comments[/url].
Quote:In-Form Vazquez Eyes Spain Recall

Fran Vazquez has been the forgotten man of Spain's national team since pulling out of the squad ahead of the 2006 FIBA World Championship with a back injury.

The 25-year-old Barcelona big man could be in for a recall at next summer's EuroBasket judging from his performances this season.

Vazquez had 16 points, eight rebounds and two assists and also swatted three shots in Barcelona's latest triumph, a 75-61 victory at ViveMenorca over the weekend.

"I am being more consistent than with respect to last season," Vazquez said.

"The coach (Xavier Pascual) gives me confidence and I respond whether it's on the court or off the court.

"The style we play now gives me more freedom and allows me to exploit my interior play and you can see that."

The 2.09m center is averaging 9.5 points and six rebounds per game in the ACB for Barcelona, who are 9-3 and in third place.

With Spain's Pau Gasol of the Los Angeles Lakers admitting that he is uncertain if he will play at next year's EuroBasket in Poland because of the need to take a rest, Vazquez may be in the frame for a comeback.

Vazquez, one of Spain's top players at EuroBasket 2005 when they reached the semi-finals before falling to France, was a lottery pick in the 2005 NBA draft by Orlando but then surprised everyone by signing for Akasvayu Girona.

[url="http://www.fibaeurope.com/coid_G8WfCnexIGcsOPcqVIhnn3.articleMode_on.container_frontpage.html"]http://www.fibaeurope.com/coid_G8WfCnexIGc..._frontpage.html[/url]
Quote:BC Khimki boss Sergio Scariolo has fueled speculation that he is about to become the next coach of Spain by admitting it would be an honour to lead the world champions.

Spain captured a silver medal at last year's Olympics under Aito Garcia Reneses, but he left the post vacant when deciding to replace Scariolo as the coach of Unicaja Malaga.

"It would be a great honour and I would be very proud," Scariolo said to Gazzetta dello Sport.

"I would be measuring myself with the strongest team I would have coached.

"There are no obstacles with the (Spanish) Federation. At the end of the month, there will be the meeting with Khimki that has to give the okay."

Spain will take on Serbia, Great Britain and Slovenia in group play at this year's EuroBasket in Poland.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.fibaeurope.com/coid_C7XG72wLGIU2KNJUyJmsb3.articleMode_on.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">[url="http://www.fibaeurope.com/coid_C7XG72wL"]http://www.fibaeurope.com/coid_C7XG72wL[/url] ... de_on.html</a><!-- m -->

I think that Scariolo is a clear favourite to lead Spain in Eurobasket. And he definatelly deserves to coach at this level.
Quote:Rodriguez Ready For Poland And Beyond

Berni Rodriguez doesn't have as big a profile as Pau Gasol or Jose Calderon, but the Unicaja Malaga guard certainly takes a backseat to no member of the Spain squad when it comes to playing hard.

The 28-year-old, a world champion in 2006 and a silver medalist at both EuroBasket 2007 and last year's Olympics in Beijing, treasures his national team experiences.

"I'm very happy and lucky to be in this group, the national team," Berni said. "I hope to win a lot of championships here at Unicaja Malaga, too, including maybe the Euroleague Final Four."

With Sergio Scariolo a strong candidate to serve as the new Spain boss, Berni spoke about his former Unicaja coach and answered other questions from Basketball World News for FIBA Europe.

FIBA Europe: In the past, you played for a great coach at Unicaja, Sergio Scariolo. There is talk that he may coach Spain. Is this something that's believable to you and something that you might look forward to?

Berni: Yes, it's a big possibility for him to be the coach of the Spanish team. He's a great coach now in Russia (at BC Khimki). He stayed here in Malaga for five years. He gave us a big championship and a lot of happy days for the people in Malaga.

FIBA Europe: We were in Beijing and watched you play for Spain against Team USA in the gold medal game and there was no backing down from you or your teammates. The USA won a close game, but looking back at that day, what can you tell us about the gold medal clash?

Berni: It was amazing, incredible to play against the American team in the final of the Olympic Games, to play against Kobe Bryant, LeBron James. They are physically incredible players. I thought we had a good opportunity to win but in the end, we had to settle for the silver medal.

FIBA Europe: How important is the EuroBasket for Spain in Poland? Do you go to Poland believing that you have to win the gold medal or else it's a failure?

Berni: We know for us and for all the European teams, to go to Poland is very important. For us, it's continuity for the last three years. We hope we have the opportunity to win a medal. Obviously, if it's gold, it's better.

FIBA Europe: Looking from the outside, it seems like a player couldn't do much better than to be at a place like Unicaja when it comes to European basketball. Would you agree with that?

Berni: Yes, it's great for me. I was born in Malaga. I play in my home city, live with my family. This is a great place to live and play. We have a great gym. Our crowd is incredible here. I think that all the players who come to Malaga are happy.

FIBA Europe: Who was the player that you really liked at Malaga when you were growing up and learning to play the game?

Berni: Umm, good question. (Ex-Spain international) Nacho Rodriguez. He played in Malaga for some years and went to Barcelona. For me, he was one of the players that I wanted to be like. He's from Malaga, too.

FIBA Europe: Is this Unicaja team going to win a Copa del Rey, ACB or Euroleague title this year?

Berni: I hope so. We make a great team, but in the Euroleague and the ACB, there are a lot of good teams that want to win so I hope we have the opportunity to win.

[url="http://www.fibaeurope.com/coid_i8CNd9nKGqwkb1g7hRjEL0.articleMode_on.container_frontpage.html"]http://www.fibaeurope.com/coid_i8CNd9nKGqw..._frontpage.html[/url]
I think that Vazquez will do well to get back into the team although if Pau doenst play then it is possible. Rodriguez will hopefully continue after his injury and as for the coaching situation, I guess that with the quality of players they have, it is a job any coach would love to do! I would think that it would be an option for Scariolo who I believe will have it written into his club contract to allow him if offered!
Its is Sergio!

Scariolo has been announced as the National Team coach

Can't believe how long this took!
With all his experience working in Spain, he is one of the best choices.
[quote name='"Paul Nilsen":1qyiwv9k']Its is Sergio!

Scariolo has been announced as the National Team coach

Can't believe how long this took![/quote]

After Messina's declination, surely the best option around. Scariolo knows Spanish basketball very well, from the inside, and that will be very helpful of course. Excellent choice.
Quote:Scariolo Sky High After Spain Appointment

Sergio Scariolo has spoken of his immense pride that he is to lead world champions Spain for the next four years.

The Spanish Basketball Federation (FECool confirmed the news on Wednesday after FEB president José Luis Sáez and executive director Jesús Bueno thrashed out an agreement with Khimki director general Victor Bychkova in Moscow.

The deal allows the 47-year-old Scariolo, who spent many years coaching in Spain at Tau Ceramica, Real Madrid and Unicaja Malaga, to remain as Khimki boss.

"It's a great honour to coach Spain and I am full of pride," Scariolo said.

"The national team will be the best team I will have coached in my career.

"I want to match this honour with maximum effort, dedication and work ..."

Scariolo has yet to sign the deal although that is a mere formality.

At Khimki's request, Scariolo presented a detailed plan on how his coaching duties would be handled while he was away on national team duty, and the club approved it.

"I want to thank the Khimki executives for accepting the petition of the FEB," he said.

"To be able to coach the national team means to have achieved a professional aim."

Scariolo first coached in Spain in 1997 at Tau. During his tenture in the ACB, he also worked as the general manager of Real Madrid between 2000 and 2002.

Last year he was at Unicaja Malaga.

He believes he is perfectly suited for the job.

"I know a large number of international Spanish players after coaching them, and all of them for having studied their moments on the court when I have faced them," he said.

Spain will face Serbia, Slovenia and Great Britain in group play at this year's EuroBasket in Poland.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.fibaeurope.com/coid_3L-Fi4PrJgY3UhmDLvn-,3.articleMode_on.container_frontpage.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">[url="http://www.fibaeurope.com/coid_3L-Fi4Pr"]http://www.fibaeurope.com/coid_3L-Fi4Pr[/url] ... tpage.html</a><!-- m -->
Quote:ESP – Scariolo knows nothing will come easy – not even for Spain

MADRID (National team) – Sergio Scariolo was unveiled as the new Spain coach on Friday and the Italian made it very clear that the national side would have to “start from zero” if it is to win more medals, beginning with this summer’s EuroBasket in Poland.

Scariolo was confirmed as Aito Garcia Reneses’ replacement earlier this month when the Spanish Basketball Federation held successful talks with BC Khimki, the club Scariolo leads and will continue to coach.

"I can only promise maximum effort and dedication,” said Scariolo, who coached Tau Ceramica, Real Madrid and Unicaja Malaga in Spain’s ACB.

“I see this challenge as something important in my life and in my sporting career.

“I will be working with a top group and this would be a challenge for any coach. To maintain one´s level is more complicated than to arrive and in order to achieve our aim, we will have to be better.”

That was something that Pepu Hernandez discovered after guiding Spain to the gold medal at the 2006 FIBA World Championship.

One year later, Spain were favourites to win the EuroBasket as hosts but lost to Croatia in the group stage before reaching the final and losing in the final seconds to Russia.

Spain will again be the favourites to win the gold in Poland this summer and many will expect them to challenge Team USA for the title at the 2010 FIBA World Championship in Turkey after pushing them close in last year’s Olympic final.

“Each team has to start from zero, we must find a new balance,” Scariolo said.

“We hope to be at the level everyone expects and continue.”

"The aim is to make a team,” he continued.

“Players aren´t the same 12 months later because certain characteristics that we valued back then might not be as useful one year later.

“It´s better to have an ample choice of players to choose from.”

There is a big question mark over the availability of Pau Gasol, the Los Angeles Lakers big man who will not make a decision about this summer and whether or not he will play for Spain at the EuroBasket until after the NBA play-offs.

Gasol reached the NBA Finals with the Lakers last year and then, after a brief rest, joined up with Spain and played at the Olympics.

“We haven´t spoken to Pau Gasol and I don´t think it would be intelligent to do so although both parties would be enthusiastic,” Scariolo said.

“No one can doubt his dedication and his interest and talent in the national team.

“It´s a decision Pau will take when he ends the NBA season.”

Scariolo was asked about wearing two hats, as the coach of Khimki and Spain.

“This job is perfectly compatible with my work at Khimki,” he said.

“I want my club to be in the Euroleague next season and for Spain to improve on what it has already obtained.”

[url="http://www.fiba.com/pages/eng/fc/news/lateNews/p/newsid/29453/arti.html"]http://www.fiba.com/pages/eng/fc/news/late...29453/arti.html[/url]
Quote:Vazquez Contends For Spain Place

Sergio Scariolo knew he was getting one of the best coaching jobs in European basketball earlier this year when the Spanish Basketball Federation brokered a deal with his club side BC Khimki that allows the Italian to coach Spain during the summers.

Now Scariolo will know something else about the national team position.

Choosing his squad is going to be one big headache, especially with the likes of Fran Vazquez showing again and again that he deserves strong consideration for a squad that is loaded from top to bottom.

Vazquez, 25, is in the midst of a terrific season with Barcelona, a team that finished top of its Top 16 group to earn home-court advantage in the Euroleague.

Barca are also just one game behind defending ACB champions Tau Ceramica.

The coach of Barcelona, Xavi Pascual, can't say enough good things about Vazquez, a former Unicaja Malaga player under Scariolo who did represent Spain at EuroBasket 2005 but hasn't featured since.

"His minutes are always quality," Pascual said. "We always try for all the players to have important minutes so that no one remains on the court without providing positive things.

"The season is very long and you always need the best out of each player. Fran has played very well during the whole season, with continuity."

Vazquez has gained a lot of attention of late because of his increased production in the points department.

In his last six league ACB games, the 2.09m power forward/center has averaged 14.5 points per game. Over the weekend, he was 10 of 12 from the floor and hit a season-high 23 points in an 86-61 drubbing of ViveMenorca.

In Barcelona's final game of the Euroleague Top 16, a win at Maccabi Tel Aviv that clinched first place in their group ahead of Real Madrid, he had 15 points.

Vazquez was supposed to be in the Spain squad that played at the 2006 FIBA World Championship but he pulled out with a back injury.

He was in good form before EuroBasket 2007 but then coach Pepu Hernandez didn't want to mess up a winning formula and stuck with the squad that captured the gold medal in Japan.

The Barcelona big man's chances may be a little better this summer because of uncertainty over Pau Gasol's availability, especially if his Los Angeles Lakers make it back to the NBA Finals for a second straight season.

"It's also true that his scoring in recent times has seen him gain more notoriety but that is a consequence that he is now in his best moment," Pascual said.

"For us, Fran is a very important player. Each day he works with a lot of enthusiasm, trying to be better than the day before and I think he is succeeding. I am very happy with him."

Scariolo will have ample opportunity to monitor Vazquez and not just by looking at the box scores.

The ACB has announced it is giving Scariolo video access to each round of games every Monday, just as all the coaches in the league have, which allows Scariolo to look at his potential EuroBasket players.

[url="http://www.fibaeurope.com/coid_getYaCh,HTcLOnGN4lbFO3.container_frontpage.articleMode_on.html"]http://www.fibaeurope.com/coid_getYaCh,HTc...cleMode_on.html[/url]
Carlos Jiménez confirmed his retirement from the NT and does not plan a return.
via www.talkbasket.net

Quote:The new Spain national team head coach Sergio Scariolo is thinking about Eurobasket 2009 in Poland after finishing the season with Khimki in Russia. World champions Spain will be hot favourites to win it all but there are still some things to improve for them.

Players must learn to enjoy success of their teammates even when they don't spend much time on the court, accoring to Scariolo. Spain has many top quality players that play serious rolse in their clubs so it will be important to make them play as a team first of all.

When speaking about the changes that need to be made to the team, Scariolo stressed mental changes. He wants the team to be able to cope with the pressure and stay together in tough moments.
via [url="http://www.talkbasket.net"]www.talkbasket.net[/url]

Quote:It seems that nothing is yet decided about Pau Gasol's future regarding the Eurobasket 2009, next September, in Poland. The new Spain National Team coach Sergio Scariolo verified that Gasol has not taken his final decision when asked whether he will have the Los Angeles Lakers star with him in Eurobasket.

"We are talking about possibly the biggest factor in the group.

"To have him (Pau) available would be important. Not to have him would be a great loss but we can't stop and cry too much because we would have to be more united as a group and try to find solutions."

Scariolo said and continued:

"I don't want to talk about Pau's loss because I think about the possibility that he will be there, Pau has not yet taken a decision. He is evaluating it with a lot of seriousness and interest at the possibility of being there. I prefer to think positively in what he could bring to the team."

Pau Gasol is playing in long NBA Finals series for the second year in a row and despite the fact that it will be extremely difficult for him to join the Spanish National Team for the Eurobasket, Scariolo will be hoping until the last moment.
navarro is also doubtful as of now. he will decide the following days

[url="http://www.talkbasket.net/news/navarro-i-will-decide-if-im-going-to-the-eurobasket-the-next-days.html"]http://www.talkbasket.net/news/navarro-i-w...-next-days.html[/url]
Many sites and forums reported that Gasol said he will play in Eurobasket 2009 but the truth is that he has yet to decide!

Quote:Rumors surfaced lately that Pau Gasol will go to the Eurobasket in Poland after all, based on statements he made on American TV."Yes, I am going to play in the Eurobasket. I've got time to rest until September." he said.

Shortly after all media was buzzing that he will be going to the Eurobasket. Shortly after however, the player himself released a statement in his official website that he has not taken a decision yet.

This is the official statement:

"Pau Gasol has not reached any final decision regarding his participation in the Eurobasket of Poland. His words in the interview on ABC should be contextualized in a colloquial tone. Indeed, there are chances that Pau will play in the Eurobasket since the season ended well physically and he still has time to rest for the tournament being in September.

Nevertheless, Pau wants to make known that he has taken no decision yet, but wants to clarify that it is, as always, an honour to play in the National Team if he is 100% convinced that it is the best for the team and himself.

Pau said that "there has been no official statement of mine, just a funny tone in response to a joke that I have made in the interview.". And during that interview, Gasol said twice "may" and "might be" which translated into Spanish means "maybe" or "possible"

"For me to play with Spain in the Eurobasket," Gasol added, "is a challenge and I have to first confirm whether or not I am prepared," but in any case would be "very proud" to have done so.

Finally, the Lakers star said that the decision will be announced in Spain when he returns from Los Angeles, where he is now devoted to enjoy the championship won by his team."

[url="http://www.talkbasket.net/news/gasol-i-still-havent-made-up-my-mind.html"]http://www.talkbasket.net/news/gasol-i-sti...up-my-mind.html[/url]
Pages: 1 2