TalkBasket.net Basketball Forums

Full Version: Shane Heal set to retire
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Quote:Hammer set to hang 'em up

The Gold Coast Bulletin has reported that basketball legend Shane Heal will retire at the end of the season.

Heal told the Bulletin's Daniel Meers that a painful back injury which the 38-year-old had carried for the past month had prompted him to request a move to the bench before retiring at seasons's end.

"My mindset is pretty made up at the moment, that this will be my last season," he said.

"It's been frustrating this last month, it's certainly not as enjoyable when you have to play with injury."

"It's not something I plan on doing, being part of it next year."

It is expected that Daniel Joyce will likely replace Heal in the starting line-up.

Heal said the injury had made it difficult to decide if he should rest and recover or push through the pain.

"I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place.

"Do you take time off to get it 100 per cent right, at a crucial time, or do you try to push through, have it not right, but still try and help," he said.

"It's a tough one when you've got people in the same situation. I've sort of felt a bit guilty if I was to miss a game."

Heal was clearly frustrated by his inability to perform at his best for much of the season.

"The first 18 games I played were great and I was able to perform but since I've hurt my back I've really just been there," he said.

"I haven't been able to contribute at the level I'd like to."

Heal put his hand up on Thursday, following limited minutes against the Adelaide 36ers, and told coach Brendan Joyce to promote his son Daniel.

"I said to him after the game the other day that I thought it would be a good idea to let Daniel start for the rest of the season, and give him that sort of experience," said Heal.

"It is about getting experience. That would be best for the team -- I can come in and give an injection from the bench."

[url="http://www.nbl.com.au/default.aspx?s=newsdisplay&id=77327"]http://www.nbl.com.au/default.aspx?s=newsdisplay&id=77327[/url]
A symbol of Aussie and international basketball. Everytime Australia is mentioned I immediately think Shane Heal (and Andrew Gaze of course). Lots of good memories.